Which 5* is worse: Cyclops or Magneto?

Daredevil217
Daredevil217 Posts: 3,938 Chairperson of the Boards
edited February 2021 in MPQ General Discussion
Simple question. These seem (at least on paper) like two of the worst 5* in a long time, and I’m curious who in your mind takes the crown as THE worst.

When I say “worst in a long time”, I’d say “post-Rescue”. So: Storm, Iceman, Professor X, Carnage, Beta Ray Bill, Mister Sinister, Havok, The Hulk (Immortal), Yelena Belova, Apocalypse, Onslaught, Killmonger, Wolverine (Daken), Heimdall, Deadpool, Magneto, Adam Warlock, Yellowjacket, and Cyclops. I left an “other” option in case people think one of these are actually worse.

I know Mags is still in Latests and Cyke isn’t even in LLs yet, so if you want to wait to vote, that’s fine. But I thought it’d be fun to have the conversation. 

Which 5* is worse: Cyclops or Magneto? 36 votes

Sighclops
63%
PolaressinnerjflIridiousrainkingucdLavaManLeeJackDeath666supergarvKGBCharlieCrokerTiger_WongBubba3210Borstockshardwickikulfurbear00000helix72Ares76Bzhaijp1658_2 23 votes
Mehneto
36%
thedarkphoenixTaganovKwahderBlackBoltRocksKrosstiger92882AlexNapalmFirst311SithforeverOmegasedKenny319TheDanielDavidk777 13 votes
Other
0%

Comments

• Ares76
    Ares76 Posts: 227 Tile Toppler
    Sighclops
    Voted for Sighclops after champing my Magneto today.
    I can quote from my recent post in "Yellowjacket in Token"-thread.
    "By the way I wanted to test my new champed Magneto immediately and paired him with Kitty and Beta Ray Bill in today's challenge node in HoD (last clear vs. Level 650 Fatpin, GG and Hood).
    I was surprised to see them win easily with only Magneto getting hurt from the enemy's first match-3! Magneto's protect tile boost right from the start was very helpful. Kitty was buffing protect an strike tiles all the time. I fired Magneto's red twice getting those strike tiles and the nasty repeater tiles that did constantly hurt the enemy. When suddenly Fatpin's repeater was about to fire for 36K damage I shrugged... but with Mags strengthening my protect tiles by 48% the damage was -1! Hilarious. If you can beat the Challenge node at level 650 with Magneto he cannot be so bad. Before that try I failed big on that node with Thorkoye/Iceman and Kitty/BRB/Polaris."
    Sighclops on the other side was up to date only playable for me in his "Introducing"-event. I played the second node several times with the two other loaners to get a sneak peek at his potential. But I there was nothing impressive to discover. Perhaps I will think differetly when I champ him. But right now he seems very meh.

• helix72
    helix72 Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    edited February 2021
    Sighclops
    Although this feels premature to say, since my Cyclops is 0/0/0 and my Magneto is 3/2/2 w 1545 shards (because...why bother applying them?). Still, just based on my pre-use evaluation and input from others whose opinions I respect.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sighclops
    Magneto has his role as commented above. He is a huge supporting character for BRB,  plus he can create heavy protects almost at will. In that aspect he is very funny to play.
    Cyclops is a guy for a team where nobody has green power, or perhaps meh yellows( if that could be possible), and then he entertains hmself firing yellow and waiting for his master loki teaching him to shuffle.
    And finally if his partners die for him taking a nap, then he wakes up really angry and if there is a huge stock of black and TU he tooks his revenge.
    All that inside a long, long battle. 

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,352 Chairperson of the Boards
    Magneto is one of those characters with a red herring power that catches everyone’s eye, but isn’t actually the reason to use him. He could be way better, but he isn’t trash tier actually. Cyclops I may have to wait to evaluate also - he seems whack but he may be fine at champion levels. I was also wondering after today’s node if he wasn’t intended to be puzzle-Ops meta with his green nibbling? If that mode stays around maybe we will start seeing characters that excel there but not in PvP or PVe
  • supergarv
    supergarv Posts: 408 Mover and Shaker
    Sighclops
    I have the feeling this is how the devs communicate with us now. Giving us chars like this is their way of the middle finger.

Kidding aside. My vote was hard because I feel both chars are broken on their own. For Sighclops its painfully obvious so I picked him.
  • tonypq
    tonypq Posts: 554 Critical Contributor
    Sighclops for me too. His yellow offers something unique but it won't win you a match, his other abilities are pretty terrible. 

This is absolutely pathetic to release 5clops and make him a joke when his 3 and 4 are pretty darn good for those tiers. Same with 5Carol being lamo whene her other tiers are really good. 

This company certainly has a disconnect from the die hard fan base. It feels to me they lack any vision whatsoever for character development or evolving the game any further. When us players see how trash these 5s are just reading their power set and then confirm when we play their events. It's like how do they keep releasing one disastrous 5 after another. 
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2021
    Sighclops
    Clearly Cyclops.
    Magneto is not very good but still has some use when he is featured with the typical PvE teams (neither of them will ever see use in PvP). And his passive will always be useful, specially in Kittys teams.
    Cylops on the other hand will only be a meat shield, I doubt any of his powers will be ever played (well maybe yellow if okoye is at full health and already has 30 team up AP), and he doesn’t have any useful passive.
  • 658_2
    658_2 Posts: 234 Tile Toppler
    Sighclops
    The only good thing about Cyclops is that he’s so bad that if the devs ever do buff 5s he’ll be very close to top of the list.

I dumped almost 9k cp into the Okoye store since I know I won’t be pulling tokens until June at the earliest
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,689 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sighclops
    tonypq said:
    Sighclops for me too. His yellow offers something unique but it won't win you a match, his other abilities are pretty terrible. 

This is absolutely pathetic to release 5clops and make him a joke when his 3 and 4 are pretty darn good for those tiers. Same with 5Carol being lamo whene her other tiers are really good. 

I would argue that's a reason his 5 doesn't need to be good. He's already well represented in the other tiers. He doesn't need to be good here.
    I'd rather he be good. I'm bored. But I don't need the same characters to be good in every tier. That's boring, too.
  • tonypq
    tonypq Posts: 554 Critical Contributor
    Borstock said:
    tonypq said:

I would argue that's a reason his 5 doesn't need to be good. He's already well represented in the other tiers. He doesn't need to be good here.
    I'd rather he be good. I'm bored. But I don't need the same characters to be good in every tier. That's boring, too.
    I certainly understand your perspective. However I personally feel like most players have come to expect much more from 5*s, especially since we're stuck with them in LLs for what seems Iike 15 years heh. Which is made even more brutal when they botch a string of 5s consecutively and then you have a LL store that is a steaming pile for months. 

Just kills me as all of us here on the forums can see which 5 is going to be weak city when they post his power set. If we can all see these things which sticks out like a sore thumb, obviously D3 should know as well how weak some of these characters are. They also know they have no interest in balancing or tweaking characters along the way, aside from a few rare occasions. Yet they keep putting them out knowing they aren't very good characters. All of these recent releases even if not meta pushers could have been implemented much better with some common sense tweaks prior to release.