How will pvp look for me with 2 champed 5's?

Options
marvel075
marvel075 Posts: 125 Tile Toppler
edited February 2021 in MPQ General Discussion
i was holding off for months, but i finally champed 5 star dr. doom and killmonger....i was already seeing champed 5's with all my 5 star at lvl 405 or less so im just concerned how pvp will look from here on out.

Comments

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    You will mostly see:

iHulkoye
    Onslaught/Prof X
    Kitty/Polaris
    Kitty/R4G
    Kitty/BRB
    Polaris/BRB
    Apocalypse/BRB

With Dr Doom and Killmonger as your 5-stars, I'll suggest targeting the above in bold. There are plenty of them. What other 5* can you champ?

• Theghouse
    Theghouse Posts: 315 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    If you were already seeing champed 5*s I'd say you're probably already prepared for what to expect from here on out.

• marvel075
    marvel075 Posts: 125 Tile Toppler
    Options
    You will mostly see:

iHulkoye
    Onslaught/Prof X
    Kitty/Polaris
    Kitty/R4G
    Kitty/BRB
    Polaris/BRB
    Apocalypse/BRB

With Dr Doom and Killmonger as your 5-stars, I'll suggest targeting the above in bold. There are plenty of them. What other 5* can you champ?

okoye might be my third, for all the right reasons, and black panther, wasp, angel, doc ock, spidey, black bolt, cable, and storm
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,196 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Id wait til you have more 5 stars. People will love attacking your team knowing a counter may not be successful.
  • MadScientist
    MadScientist Posts: 317 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    If you play for wins, you might like that you will get attacked by non-meta teams that will be easier to beat. Some people are happy to trade hits to increase the win counter.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,493 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    2 5* is fine.  Very few people can just start the 5* tier with a full array of chars.  We all have to start somewhere.

here are my suggestions.  
    1.  You have to learn how to play a leaderboard with active hoppers.  That’s means understanding when matching making will be in your favor and your que is full of 75 pters vs. all low point ques out and lots of people hitting you.
          You can learn this through better communication with your alliance or other on line players. Or simply pay close attention to how people shield play etc.

2.  For the most part your stuck with the matches the game gives, but you have full control of scl brackets,  so do the math to min max your pvp rewards.  Based on your availability to play.  If your best haul is in scl7 play 7, if it’s scl10 play 10.

3.  Focus on maintaining you 5* cover momentum to acquire latest lt chars.  Nothing will stop your progress faster than a consistent failure to keep up with 5* release pace.  

There is an old adage of Surfing.  It’s easy to surf a wave in isolation, but catching a wave in a crowded competive lineup is a real testament to your skill
  • McPosterson
    McPosterson Posts: 43 Just Dropped In
    Options
    U will feel as cool as DOOM looks.  I champed DOOM and I mow down other teams.  Hulk is an issue though
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,268 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Doom is really sustainable on climbs because of his true heal. I used to run him with Chavez when I transitioned with Doom and Ghost Rider. Karnak is probably as good or better. Killmonger is a tough one, since I haven't really found a use for him yet. I don't really think running them together is going to be awesome, but you could attempt it and see how it goes.
  • Aweberman
    Aweberman Posts: 430 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Doom and Killmonger seems fine to me, as they don't have any active overlap and match 5 colors.  Black is the strongest color for both, so Killmonger's red passive with let you do 150% match damage against a lot of teams.

But the OP stated that he already has two 5* champed.  His question is what PVP will look like, and that question has been answered.  Hulkoye is obviously a problem for these two, and Kitty/Bill probably wouldn't be much fun, but there are plenty of other teams at lower point levels, so if your goal is only to get to 800 or 900, that's probably quite feasible.  1200 is going to be more of a challenge, because of Hulkoye.

As far as other options for pairings, I have found this to be a very useful thread when trying to use non-meta 5*: https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/81334/daredevil217s-5-character-ranking-and-analysis-updated-9-20-2020/p1
  • Michael1957
    Michael1957 Posts: 630 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I wouldn’t try it based on neither of your two 5s are meta and once you have two the only thing you see is 5* meta teams in PvAI. Hound mentioned the ONLY 8 or so teams you will see over 95% of the time . I’ve never seen KM nor GED in versus yet, I wish I would because I would run over that team in a short battle . 
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 981 Critical Contributor
    Options
    What is your goal in PVP? Do you go for placement, or just for progression rewards? And if so T5, T10, T25 etc, progress to shards or CP or all the way?

All I can advise is to play SCL10. The reason is you are likely to encounter similar opponents in a lower SCL, yet the rewards are a lot better in SCL10.