Marvel Puzzle Quest R220 Release Notes (2/1/21)

Options
LakeStone
LakeStone Posts: 1,377 Community Moderator

Hi Everyone –

Here are the R220 Release Notes!

“Crimson Host”

MPQ is on Fire in February with a new sweet character, a fresh Puzzle Ops event, and even tastier prizes and rewards!

• Join the Spider-Verse and wrap those gems in Silk (Cindy Moon), now in select events!
  • Ready the Squads! Mind Stone Season starts on 2/4!

Additional Details:

• Selecting the Recruit Heroes button from within an event will now always lead to the correct event store.
  • Selecting a character for your team that you’ve already equipped as a Team-Up will now swap or unequip that Team-Up.

Thank you for playing!

Comments

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,966 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'd love it if that clue meant we are getting Crimson Dynamo. Game needs an Iron Man villain.
    KGB
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,187 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm still holding out for 5* Omega Red...
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 992 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Hmm...Crimson Host.

If we didn't already have 5* Carnage, I'd shout, "5* Carnage!". But clearly that's wrong.

Lots of red characters, and crimson is a red normally used to refer to blood. The Host clue is a bit trickier. Could be a host like hosting a party, or could be someone possessed.

I googled "marvel red characters possessed". Found a few intriguing links on the page of search results:

Red Skull at one point "possessed" the body of a cloned Captain America. I'm doubtful on this one because if we're getting Red Skull...give us Red Skull! Not some possessed CA version.

I found a page of Marvel characters tied to the word possession. The only one I noted as remotely relevant to the color red was one named Bloodbath, some demon who could possess people. But host implies you are the possessee, not the possessor, so I struck this one down too.

Another (and I think more interesting page) is "X-Men: 17 Characters You Didn't Know Were Possessed By The Phoenix Force". Several possibilities there, and if Phoenix is the "crimson" reference, could be any of them as all of them were hosts. Running down the list of ones who currently don't have 5* variants:
    -Rachel Grey
    -Amber Hunt
    -Kid Omega
    -Giraud of Haven
    -Stepford Cuckoos (not likely since they are already a support)
    -Any of "The Phoenix Five": Cyclops, Namor, Colossus, Emma Frost, and Magik
    -Hope Summers
    -Madelyn Pryor
    -Iron Fist
    -Spider-Phoenix
    -Nightcrawler

Now, who's with me in hoping for a 5* Emma Frost? Surely possessed by the Phoenix Force she'd be powerful, no?
  • gravel
    gravel Posts: 585 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Update is already live on iOS.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,602 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Crimson Host REALLY feels like a Phoenix Force reference.

Given there's a comic event going on right now to choose a new host for the Phoenix, I think that seems likely. The question is who? Could be a classic example (I'd like to see Rachel Grey, personally), could be one of the Phoenix Five (good excuse to give Cyke or Colossus a 5-star, since Cyke is really popular and Colossus is the only one of that group who doesn't exist above the 3-star tier). But it could be an entirely new host (since people like Cap and Doom and Ghost Rider and She-Hulk are all being explored as hosts in the comic run).

Maybe it'll be a curveball and we'll get Old Man Phoenix, where Wolverine is the host in the far future of King Thor's timeline.

Or maybe the curve will be that it's a 5-star Jean Grey that's in her Marvel Girl outfit like on Krakoa, and has nothing to do with the Phoenix Force (like the clue references that Jean is a common Phoenix host, but the actual character we get doesn't have Phoenix connections).
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Carnage (MJ)?  King in Black tie in...
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    I kind of want Old Man Errythang, just give us an Old Man version of all the characters.
  • grenadier
    grenadier Posts: 135 Tile Toppler
    edited February 2021
    Options
    There is currently a story in the comics about the Phoenix Force taking a new host (in the pages of Avengers), so this seems like a good bet.  Wanda works too for WandaVision.  But given how many of their new characters are tie-ins to current storylines or media releases, one of these is probably it.

Of course, it could be both, if Wanda IS the new host for the Phoenix.
  • Michael1957
    Michael1957 Posts: 630 Critical Contributor
    Options
    A five star SWitch with reality shifting ( board / tile massive manipulation) would be a dream character 
  • Omegased
    Omegased Posts: 575 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I love the idea of Switch - but don't like our chances.

I also like the idea of Pheonix characters, and Cyclops is the most obvious to me.

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Did they change the interface when you recruit characters with non-13 cover dupe? I don't remember seeing that interface before.
  • Seph1roth5
    Seph1roth5 Posts: 371 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I think scarlett witch would be super smart with how popular wandavision is right now.  And weird that there's only the 3* version since she's so prominent in a lot of story arcs.

I think it could also be Morbius though, since they popped out the black widow characters even though the movie was delayed, maybe they had this already ready too?
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,667 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm leaning towards a Phoenix something just based upon the "MPQ is on fire in February" comment. 
  • Jacklag
    Jacklag Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Isn't the dimension ruled by Cyttorak known as the Crimson Dimension? And Colossus was once the host for Cyttorak. I'm going with Unstoppable Colossus!

EDIT: Correction, it's Crimson Cosmos. Which is accessible through the Crimson Gem. See? I knew I was getting somewhere.
  • Reecoh
    Reecoh Posts: 210 Tile Toppler
    Options
    All this Phoenix talk has my hopes up for classic Dark Phoenix.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The Phoenix Force guess is good.  Host is something an organism lives in. Crimson refers to Phoenix. To quote:

"the absolute power of the Phoenix corrupted Scott, ultimately turning him into a new incarnation of the Dark Phoenix."

Based on the above, Scott became a host of Phoenix. Could 5* Scott be the true anti-Okoye? Both 3* and 4* Cyclops's abilities have something to do with teamup tiles. Their colour codes:

Red x 2, yellow x 2, blue and black

Common power themes:
    1) Red powers: tile destruction 
    2) Yellow powers: gains aps in strongest colour (both red) in some way linked to teamup tiles

• ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    While I like to hope that every character that launches is good, if we get a 5* Cyclops who is better than 5* Magneto, I will be so sad
  • Jacklag
    Jacklag Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    We have a 5* Jessica Jones who is better than 5* Magneto. Hell, if they release 5* Puck I doubt it will be worse than 5* Magneto.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    On the one hand, I kind of find it charming and hilarious when street level characters like Jessica Jones and Okoye are good to great at the highest levels of play, but it really bums me out when your Emma Frosts and Magnetos are aggressively bad.