Why Thorkoye and other Noob questions about Okoye

Options
Nibby
Nibby Posts: 35 Just Dropped In
Hello!
I'm currently trying to level up my Okoye (2/3/0) as I've heard, that she is very good. 
I understand that her black ability boosts a lot of powers and she has good healing. I have all 4* characters rostered and several 5* characters, that I keep at Level 270 in order to compete in pvp.

Right now my Polaris with 4* Rocket and Groot and Kitty is much more effective for SCL 9.

1.)Why is Okoye so essential?

2.) Should I prioritize her black or yellow power? 

3.)If I want to keep using Polaris, wouldn't Beta Ray Bill be the better option? (Currently I only have one green for him) 

4.) Thorkoye are considered a great team, with half health Thor creating free AP. Wouldn't Main Event Hulk do it better? 

Thanks for your help. :smile:

Comments

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,937 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    1) She's not as essential in CL9 as she is in CL10 when enemy health goes to insane levels. I'm in the same spot as you (4* player) playing CL8 and I don't use her at all since like you, I use Polaris. But if / when you move to CL10, you will need her for the Challenge node (unique to CL10) and the 5E nodes as a minimum.
    2) Black for the power boost is her most important power and that's the one to level up. Depending on where your Shuri is (did you get the Okoye Black cover at 280 yet) you may want to to get her to 4 or 5 Black. Don't forget to get a least 1 Red cover.
    3) In CL9 or PvP, BRB is a better partner for Polaris. But if you plan to move to CL10 or move to 5* play in PvP then you will need Okoye more than you need BRB. So it depends on your time frame for moving up in play.
    4) Thor does it better than anyone because he generates 5 AP a turn, every turn in Yellow, Green or Red (2 of those colors Okoye needs the other Thor needs). ME Hulk only gives swaps of random tiles which does not even guarantee a match 3 much less 5 AP and the matches are in random colors.
    KGB
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Nibby said:
    Hello!
    I'm currently trying to level up my Okoye (2/3/0) as I've heard, that she is very good. 
    I understand that her black ability boosts a lot of powers and she has good healing. I have all 4* characters rostered and several 5* characters, that I keep at Level 270 in order to compete in pvp.

Right now my Polaris with 4* Rocket and Groot and Kitty is much more effective for SCL 9.

1.)Why is Okoye so essential?

2.) Should I prioritize her black or yellow power? 

3.)If I want to keep using Polaris, wouldn't Beta Ray Bill be the better option? (Currently I only have one green for him) 

4.) Thorkoye are considered a great team, with half health Thor creating free AP. Wouldn't Main Event Hulk do it better? 

Thanks for your help. :smile:
    1) She adds ~1300 pts of damage PER team up AP you have in the bank to nearly all powers that aren't tied to tile destruction, and she has a true heal, so she is far and away the best support character to make any team better

2) I would probably do it alternating between Black, then Yellow until both are at 5, then finish up with red. 5/5/3 is for sure her build, and she'll be useful to you all along the way. But her yellow at 5 makes all the difference for stacking the board with team up tiles, so you'll for sure want that.

3) BRB is great with Polaris, but every tile she breaks with a special on it initiates a little slug of damage that Okoye can add to, as well as her start of turn blast, so it gets out of hand quickly.

4) Main Event does not do it better, because he isn't targeting 5 useful colors every start of turn, just randomly swaps random tiles. Gladiator Thor breaks (with 5 on green) 5 tiles that are going to either be green, yellow, or red, so he or Okoye are doing SOMEthing dangerous very quickly. In fact, you can (and I did) just have a 5/0/0 Thor and be perfectly offensive no problem. You'll get stomped out in PVP defensively that way, but you can climb very fast, and it works well in PVE.
  • Nibby
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. 
    So I'm actually investing in something, that doesn't help my current level too much, but will be important later. That's helpful.

About Thor : So the tiles that half health Thor destroys generate AP? I thought it would only give the player the chance of a free match at the start of the round. So maybe I'll get my Thor to 5/0/0 first. 
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The other great thing about Okoye is she can partner with lots of different characters, not just half Thor.  So she is very useful in more ways than one.
  • Bzhai
    Bzhai Posts: 440 Mover and Shaker
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Her support Royal Talon Fighter also gives her a chance at extra TU and AOE damage. As speed is essential in pve you can see why she´s such an asset.
  • Nibby
    Options
    Bzhai said:
    Her support Royal Talon Fighter also gives her a chance at extra TU and AOE damage. As speed is essential in pve you can see why she´s such an asset.
    That's good to know, thanks! I'll have to check if I already have that support. 
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,192 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Okoye speeds up everything.

She also works well with pretty much everyone on the roster. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    Okoye/Thor/Iceman (5*) is highly reliable as well, you just need to make sure you're cycling the enemy team so they all get stunned
  • Rosraf
    Rosraf Posts: 113 Tile Toppler
    Options
    There is more than one viable path. But since Okoye can partner effectively with a larger pool of characters (and can tank and self-heal), she probably has an edge. 
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,368 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Okoye/Thor/Iceman (5*) is highly reliable as well, you just need to make sure you're cycling the enemy team so they all get stunned
    Also consider equipping Iceman with a support that gives extra blue AP on matches (like Kimoyo beads or Wong), to help keeping the stun tiles out. Not certain if there's supports that let you start with extra blue AP.
  • MadScientist
    MadScientist Posts: 317 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    DeNappa said:

Not certain if there's supports that let you start with extra blue AP.
    Funny. There are supports that give a chance to start with some AP for all colors but Blue.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,618 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DeNappa said:

Funny. There are supports that give a chance to start with some AP for all colors but Blue.

With blue being the most common colour for stuns, they were probably a bit wary of giving players that big a leg-up.
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 991 Critical Contributor
    Options
    DeNappa said:

Sure there are. They're called "boosts". If you have the boosts support, you can start with 4 Blue AP every battle. You just have to feed it HP.

:P
  • St_Bernadus
    St_Bernadus Posts: 591 Critical Contributor
    Options
    helix72 said:
    DeNappa said:

Sure there are. They're called "boosts". If you have the boosts support, you can start with 4 Blue AP every battle. You just have to feed it HP.

:P
    Iso and HP (only the all AP boosts costs HP)
  • JimboJambo
    JimboJambo Posts: 126 Tile Toppler
    Options
    DeNappa said:

I'm lucky enough to have got Kimoyo Beads at Level 200. It doesn't give you extra blue to start with, but at Rank 3 and above, it gives a percentage chance (33.98% at Level 200) to gain 2 extra blue AP when you make a blue match, so you can gain blue very quickly.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    I only have beads and Wong at 2*, but Wong is on 5* Hawkeye.
  • Rod5
    Rod5 Posts: 585 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Do you need Wong on HE given HammerCap has been neutered? I was the same but now I just never use him.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Probably not; I run HE with Coulson/G4mora almost exclusively. I wanted to find some synergy with Heimdall but it just didn’t do what I was hoping it would.
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,723 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    i still have Wong on Hawkeye... it helps for those challenge nodes, when the winfinite doesnt work.