Get some new ideas for your decks

Options
Specter
Specter Posts: 32 Just Dropped In
Its amazing how many people just run the same cheesy cards over and over. I'm pretty sure 75% or better of the players in this game have the imagination of a brick wall. I have all the power cards, and can make the atypical song of creation cheap win, or fiery emancipation, fires of invention,etc. That isnt fun to me tho and neither is facing that nonsense. So get some new ideas for your decks you cheap hacks.

Comments

• Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Its not that people aren't creative, its that this game has become so slow and obnoxious that people want to finish their matches as quickly as possible and then log off.  Combine that with how easy it is for everyone to get a ton of mythics and how some cards are way more powerful than others and you end up with a lot of homogeneity in the decks you face.  Its annoying, but its a symptom of the other problems with this game rather than a separate problem in and of itself.
  • DragonSorcerer
    DragonSorcerer Posts: 182 Tile Toppler
    Options
    And some of us have jobs and a life to get on with rather than building new decks every day
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,227 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Just like in real Magic, powerful cards become the dominant meta. That's how most competitive games work. In PVE/PVP events, where a single loss or dropped objective can push you from 1st place to 150th place, it's no wonder that people will play the same decks again and again. 

Additionally, as Mburn points out, when people are slogging through all the daily games necessary to earn enough currency to make any sort of meaningful progress, expediency is prioritized over creativity. 

• Specter
    Options
    Ah so the answer is build cheese to combat cheese to progress. Seems alot less annoying to simply quit. Good day all, thanks for the insights.
  • Bil
    Bil Posts: 831 Critical Contributor
    Options
    @Specter Maybe you could show us some of those supercreative decks you've been playing through the recent competitive events where you ended top 10 ... Just to show us cheap hacks the path ya know?
  • LoboX01
    LoboX01 Posts: 56 Match Maker
    Options
    Specter said:
    Ah so the answer is build cheese to combat cheese to progress. Seems alot less annoying to simply quit. Good day all, thanks for the insights.

What progress you are talking about here? Rewards, resources? Did you notice Zendikar Expedition? You can play whatever non-cheesy deck you want there, it does not matter if you pick up a loss here and there, you will hit progression in the end. I play in ZE to master cards, mainly non-cheesy cards, and still hit progression.

There are plenty of events that gives you the progression reward fairly easily, you can afford a loss, and the individual top 1-5 rewards is not that different from top 500, just like upcoming Titano. You can get a super pack in top 1, and like 2-3 more jewels than top 500, so again unless you are playing in a competitive coalition it does not matter how you reach the progression rewards.

If you play in a competitive coalition, then you have to accept that people with a similar coalition will play those events with cheesy decks.
  • Specter
    Options
    Oh sorry for calling out the obvious here. It's like why are there thousands of cards if the only way to win is use the same 15-20 cards? One of you magic savants got an answer for that? This is a decent game, but frustrating to see the lack of diversity out there. My point being when I  have to build my decks to combat the same strategy over and over, it leads to me also using the same cards. So I'm just playing the same match again and again. Awesome fun, truly. Glad you all enjoy it tho. Cheers 
  • ambrosio191
    ambrosio191 Posts: 293 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I cant remember the last time I build a deck to combat another deck in pvp.  What the opponent might play just doesnt matter in 99% of games you play.  The only time this doesnt apply is when you are fairly new and dont have a large enough card/PW collection to choose from.
    The answer to your question is you are purposely blowing out of proportion the frequency at which you face the same deck, and deliberately ignoring the wide variety of decks to support your point.
    This game has thousands of cards because it's been around for 5 years and Wizards of the Coasts prints 600-800 new cards a year.  Some are bound to be useless, but for the most part, over the years decks have been varied.  There is always going to be a couple cards that dominate, that's just the nature of magic the gathering.
  • ambrosio191
    Options
    critman said:

This game has thousands of cards because it's been around for 5 years and Wizards of the Coasts prints 600-800 new cards a year.  Some are bound to be useless, but for the most part, over the years decks have been varied.  There is always going to be a couple cards that dominate, that's just the nature of magic the gathering.
    However, the difference in power level between common and rare cards in MTGPQ is much, much wider than the difference in power level between those cards in paper MTGPQ. Oktagon go out of their way to print large numbers of cards nobody will play, and if they ever check their metrics, they'll be able to tell that nobody does play them.

Disingenuousness rating of this post: Low

I wont argue with that, partially because I am so far removed from paper that I cant hold an opinion. I feel like Zenkidar Rising closed that gap some.  I certainly see a far greater variety of cards from that set than others.
  • ArielSira
    ArielSira Posts: 490 Mover and Shaker
    edited January 2021
    Options
    I think the reason you see an increased variety of cards since ZNR is the fact that 4 sets left Standard so it's a smaller pool now (rather than the design of the set per se).
  • ambrosio191
    Options
    Standard rotating certainly plays a role in seeing more ZNR.  To me ZNR seems more playable than say, Eldraine.  I remember when that set released it felt underwhelming.  I didnt want to play any of the cards from it, and mostly stuck to the older standard cards.  With ZNR I dont have the same feeling.  Maybe it's because the Ravnica block was pretty good, so I preferred to play it over Eldraine, and now that it's gone I prefer ZNR, and still avoid Eldraine.
    critman said:
    critman said:

However, the difference in power level between common and rare cards in MTGPQ is much, much wider than the difference in power level between those cards in paper MTGPQ. Oktagon go out of their way to print large numbers of cards nobody will play, and if they ever check their metrics, they'll be able to tell that nobody does play them.

Disingenuousness rating of this post: Low

I wont argue with that, partially because I am so far removed from paper that I cant hold an opinion. I feel like Zenkidar Rising closed that gap some.  I certainly see a far greater variety of cards from that set than others.
    Perhaps, but ZNR does contain a great example of how deliberately Oktagon make common cards unplayable: the common Landforming effect is completely useless, whereas at higher rarities the effects is playable, even at uncommon.

I'd have like to have seen the common Landforming tokens maybe lose 1 shield per turn, so they lasted 3 turns or so.

Disingenuousness rating of this post: Bupkiss. Is bupkiss a word? I feel like I've heard it somewhere.

Ill be honest, Ive not used the common Landforming cards, so I didnt know that was the case.  I dont like that an effect is different based on the rarity of the card.  Imagine cycling functioning different based on if you cycled a common or rare.
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,227 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ambrosio191 said: 
    Ill be honest, Ive not used the common Landforming cards, so I didnt know that was the case.  I dont like that an effect is different based on the rarity of the card.  Imagine cycling functioning different based on if you cycled a common or rare.

Yeah, it's very disappointing considering that landform, as a mechanic, is pretty awesome. Arbitrarily punishing commons is an unfortunate design choice.