choosing who to champ / discarding covers

drcheese
drcheese Posts: 12 Just Dropped In
every so often someone will post asking for advice on whether or not to keep some covers/discard covers, or who to champ, who not to champ etc. 

correct me if i'm wrong but isn't the idea that you're eventually supposed to champ all the characters? in what scenario would it make sense to discard a character?

thanks

Comments

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,189 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sometimes players in the early stages of the game (1, 2, 3 star players) end up opening too many tokens (esp new players who don't know better) or end up with too many covers from PvE/PvP events so that they have covers for 4-10 different characters in their queue and only have enough hero points to roster say 1-2 of them. That means they need to discard some of them (unless they want to spend money on hero points) and so they are asking which are the best ones to keep.
    In later stages (3* 4* and even 5*) of the game players will have fully covered dozens of characters but lack the ISO to level them all up. So they want to level up the best ones first before the rest.
    KGB
  • Michael1957
    Michael1957 Posts: 630 Critical Contributor
    I discard everything that is useless which if you play PvAI you see 90% of characters are unused . My roster is currently at 110. The rest are shard reserved the one time a year they are needed in PvE.  I think farming is stupid , I only play to win and it’s not necessary to farm characters you’ll never use .
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,189 Chairperson of the Boards
    I discard everything that is useless which if you play PvAI you see 90% of characters are unused . My roster is currently at 110. The rest are shard reserved the one time a year they are needed in PvE.  I think farming is stupid , I only play to win and it’s not necessary to farm characters you’ll never use .

Are you winning? As in taking 1st place in PvE or PvP events or winning a PvP season? Just making progression or finishing T10 or T25 isn't winning, it's just playing.
    Farming simply helps the process of generating resources to speed up max champing the meta characters.
    KGB
  • Michael1957
    Michael1957 Posts: 630 Critical Contributor
    KGB said:

Are you winning? As in taking 1st place in PvE or PvP events or winning a PvP season? Just making progression or finishing T10 or T25 isn't winning, it's just playing.
    Farming simply helps the process of generating resources to speed up max champing the meta characters.
    KGB
    I’m not here to compete with others , I’m here to win battles and finish a progression. It’s funny every battle I finish successfully says Victory !, apparently they think I’m winning 
  • killahKlown
    killahKlown Posts: 583 Critical Contributor
    So you're not actually winning anyone then.

To OP, do not take this guy's advice.  Unless you want to sit on the bench with him and his participation trophy.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2021
    If you are Ash Ketchum, you will catch them all and champ them all. However, I noticed they get stressed out by changes easily.  :|

I'm a catch them all (roster at least 1 cover) and champ/chase only meta or interesting characters camp.

Such problems you mentioned are faced by early stage players (2* to 4* transitioning players). So, general advice is to prioritise meta characters first. With Shards, Milestone rewards and Spicy Vault, I think opening non-cp tokens, rostering characters and then selling them to make space for other 4* characters is fine for new players now because it adds to your milestone and shards. 

Also, newer 4* are worth rostering because they will appear in pves about 5 times before they are rotated back in a year later. 

Non-limited characters are also given lower priority.

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,088 Chairperson of the Boards
    It is the mentality between building tall rosters vs broad rosters.
    Tall rosters are generally faster to build because all efforts are concentrated on certain areas/characters. Rostering or concentrating on non-meta characters is simply a diversion of resources away from fast progression. However tall rosters are also highly vulnerable to change - be it nerfs or the introduction of new characters that shift meta's. Hi Gambit. Hi Bishop. Looking nerfed X-Force Wolverine. Wait, Panthos is a what where who?!?!?
    Broad rosters are much slower to build and might not have a selection of truly highly levelled characters. However, they will often be more resistant to change and will through farming return a much higher investment on rewards - for example if you never have any intention of trying to champ 100 4* you are never going to get the large 5* shard pay-out for doing so. Broad rosters assume that you build steadily across each tier of progression and so that means you are going to see each and every cover as potentially valuable. That said, when you start farming the 3* tier then you are tempted to let some covers go if you don't have a fully operational farm across the group.
    I am not sure there is any right or wrong way to go. I have a broad roster and it paid me handsomly when it was Milestone time but I have had to be patient in building it.
    At some point in the game, you will reach a point where basically you are so resources rich that you can combine both methods so that you chase meta whilst rostering whoever as you go, how you got there at that point is probably moot.
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    DAZ0273 said:
    It is the mentality between building tall rosters vs broad rosters.
    Tall rosters are generally faster to build because all efforts are concentrated on certain areas/characters. Rostering or concentrating on non-meta characters is simply a diversion of resources away from fast progression. However tall rosters are also highly vulnerable to change - be it nerfs or the introduction of new characters that shift meta's. Hi Gambit. Hi Bishop. Looking nerfed X-Force Wolverine. Wait, Panthos is a what where who?!?!?
    Broad rosters are much slower to build and might not have a selection of truly highly levelled characters. However, they will often be more resistant to change and will through farming return a much higher investment on rewards - for example if you never have any intention of trying to champ 100 4* you are never going to get the large 5* shard pay-out for doing so. Broad rosters assume that you build steadily across each tier of progression and so that means you are going to see each and every cover as potentially valuable. That said, when you start farming the 3* tier then you are tempted to let some covers go if you don't have a fully operational farm across the group.
    I am not sure there is any right or wrong way to go. I have a broad roster and it paid me handsomly when it was Milestone time but I have had to be patient in building it.
    At some point in the game, you will reach a point where basically you are so resources rich that you can combine both methods so that you chase meta whilst rostering whoever as you go, how you got there at that point is probably moot.

Post of the year right there.