What to do with Runes.

Options
Firinmahlazer
Firinmahlazer Posts: 417 Mover and Shaker
I just broke 4,000,000 runes. I don't buy up every PW and often don't level them to 60 so to say I have a surplus is an understatement.

I don't think this is an original thought but I haven't seen it brought up in a while. So what can I do with them? Maybe implement some kind of conversion system into Crystals? Use them as an alternate way to pay for packs? 

Comments

• Bubbles_CS
    Bubbles_CS Posts: 332 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    This is a common complaint from most tenured players. I personally have maintined more than six million runes even after purchasing and leveling up five planeswalkers during the holiday sale. Dev continues to say in Q&A that they don’t have plans to add any more uses to runes, but the playerbase continues to ask for this.

I know I would be happy even to just be able to give them away to my coalitionmates, even if I can’t possibly find enough uses for them myself.
  • Rasalghul
    Rasalghul Posts: 158 Tile Toppler
    Options
    @Firinmahlazer I’m about to break the 8 000 000 mark !
  • Rant_Ent
    Rant_Ent Posts: 68 Match Maker
    Options
    ok i will send u my coordinates for some runess transfert...   -.-
  • Persil
    Persil Posts: 137 Tile Toppler
    Options
    - "Hej developers, we have millions of runes and nothing to do with them, can you do something about it?"
    - "Sure players, here is the quests system so that you can get even more runes!"
  • QuiksilverHg
    QuiksilverHg Posts: 126 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I’m going to plug again the idea I proposed in my “double-solution” post.

To try and fix both of these at one time, I propose that each time a rune-only prize is awarded the game displays a pop-up window with a choice.  Get the runes shown as before, or choose a small percentage of that value as mana orbs for crafting; say 5%.  It would be easy enough to automate this so that it wouldn’t have to be programmed for each event.  A subroutine could be created such that whenever a rune-only reward is offered it is instead replaced with a pop-up menu offering both options.

Even a small amount of mana orbs would be preferable to a semi-useless pile of runes and make these events seem less grindy by having a comparatively worthwhile reward at each step, even if the amount of mana orbs would be small
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Why not bring back the old system where you could buy free boosters with runes?  Even if you make them stupidly expensive (10K should do it lol) it would be SOMETHING to do with all the runes.
    And it wouldn't really affect 8gon's bottom line, which is obviously the most important thing to consider.
  • Persil
    Persil Posts: 137 Tile Toppler
    Options
    QuiksilverHgMburn7 - I like both ideas. D3, do something please!
  • Tremayne
    Tremayne Posts: 1,612 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2021
    Options
    @Mburn7 - I wouldn’t pay my runes for the poor percentage of a free booster. My historic result from free booster would mean that I would pay approx. 1.1 mill. Runes for approx. 45k crafting orbs.

The main problem with any solution is that there are so many runes in circulation, though they are mainly in the hands of a small group of players. So whatever you would be able to use the runes for is mainly benefiting a group of players who already has to much (From Oktagons’s point of view).

Just look at the level conversion situation, where Oktagon showed a huge reluctance to implement something that was usable for the veteran players. It was only after a huge backlash that they conceded, but I get the sense that Oktagon is very unhappy with the end result. I wonder if the slowness of the matchmaking system is somehow connected to the gap between the high level/veteran players and the low level/newer players.
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Tremayne said:

The main problem with any solution is that there are so many runes in circulation, though they are mainly in the hands of a small group of players. So whatever you would be able to use the runes for is mainly benefiting a group of players who already has to much (From Oktagons’s point of view).

I agree, which is why my suggestion was so obviously overpriced.  I'm sure someone with 10 million runes would have no issue dropping a mil or two when a new set comes out to grab a bunch of commons and uncommons from the new set.  I'm also positive that no new player would even consider spending that much on such a **** pack.
    So basically it would be a very small but welcome benefit for top-end players and basically ignored by everyone else.  Is that something Oktagon should prioritize?  Probably not.  Is that something they would ever do?  Also probably not.  But would it cause any serious issues if it was implemented?  I can't think of why it would. 
    And that's my thought process lol.
  • Matthew
    Matthew Posts: 605 Critical Contributor
    edited January 2021
    Options
    I'd love another way to spend these:

https://imgur.com/gallery/tkszlcS
  • TheHunter
    TheHunter Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Tremayne said:
    @Mburn7 - I wouldn’t pay my runes for the poor percentage of a free booster. My historic result from free booster would mean that I would pay approx. 1.1 mill. Runes for approx. 45k crafting orbs.

I would 100% be up for this. A million runes for 15 legacy mythics I don't have? bargain.
  • Tremayne
    Tremayne Posts: 1,612 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    @Xucachris - Great to hear! I suppose it all depends upon the size of your library, how good this looks. Just remember, with the current 1 pool for legacy in booster crafting, you’ll most likely get a huge amount of chaff before you pull one of the few great legacy mythic’s.

I don’t recall it was possible to pay free boosters with runes, so I don’t how the deal was then.
    However I think a conversion rate at 15% would be more fair (instead of the 4% inherent in mburn7 proposal).

If we compare the typical match reward of 200 runes, having a conversion rate of 15% would be equivalent with 30 orbs. That would mean you had to play a 150 matches for a standard mythic (or 100 matches for a legacy).

If we assume you play every training grounds in a week, which is 56 matches, it would take you approx. 3 weeks to reach one mythic. If you did that for 4 months (approx. Time between a new set), you will have gotten 5 mythics (from this source). 

The last few sets have consisted of 45-50 mythics, so you would have gotten 10 to 15 percent of the mythics in a set. And the effort would have been immense.
  • TheHunter
    TheHunter Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    That's my main gripe about losing RT and getting ZE. I could get 1500 orbs from RT per week, plus other sources and that's pretty much one legacy mythic per week. I still have 50+ rares and 150 mythics to collect so have no illusions about getting everything, but would count anything gained from converting runes to orbs as extra. so I'm in favour of this whatever the conversion rate.