Have you ever had the feeling that the game cheats?

On several occasions in PvE the computer selected inefficient moves but was repaid by gems that went to fit perfectly with the existing ones generating waves of mana ridiculous, born from the simple burst of 3 gems.

With players it happened to me 2 times. 

The last time was tonight, and although the player had a lot of lands support, because that was the mechanic he developed,
I knew from the opening hand that I would lose.

During the whole match there have never been more than 4 red gems in play.

Comments

• e3vil
    e3vil Posts: 62 Match Maker
    Rant_Ent said:
    On several occasions in PvE the computer selected inefficient moves but was repaid by gems that went to fit perfectly with the existing ones generating waves of mana ridiculous, born from the simple burst of 3 gems.

With players it happened to me 2 times. 

The last time was tonight, and although the player had a lot of lands support, because that was the mechanic he developed,
    I knew from the opening hand that I would lose.

During the whole match there have never been more than 4 red gems in play.

From time to time, YES! At least once a week if I play seriously.
    For example, today I was playing against one Green deck and the game didn't prevent infinite loops, drawing and gem explosions by my opponent. Once the game started the coundown, but soon enough prevented my opponent from quitting until I lost the game.
  • Bil
    Bil Posts: 831 Critical Contributor
    edited January 2021
    I never felt that the game was cheating ... But sometimes i felt astonished by how lucky Greg could be, several Times in a row, during a single game. 

But i Also had lot of occasions to find myself getting absurd cascades, so I Guess that's just RNG After all.

However, there's an obvious bias in the perception of Luck in a game where we are used to win quite easily ... When i get lucky, it generally changes nothing ... I was about to win anyway and i dont feel particularly lucky.
    On the contrary, when i get to loose because Greg gets insanely lucky ... I feel scamed because i "should" have won and it feels totally unfair.

That's not Greg cheating, that's me being frustrated.
  • Firinmahlazer
    Firinmahlazer Posts: 417 Mover and Shaker
    For every stupid cascade the AI gets, I get just as many. On color matches may not be the most optimal because an off color may give you a 5 match, extra loyalty, etc. Heck just today I made a match and dropped in a 4 stack which caused me to get a huge cascade and an extra swap. The AI isn't cheating. 
  • jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2021
    For every stupid cascade the AI gets, I get just as many. On color matches may not be the most optimal because an off color may give you a 5 match, extra loyalty, etc. Heck just today I made a match and dropped in a 4 stack which caused me to get a huge cascade and an extra swap. The AI isn't cheating. 
    Oh man, I had a match-4 that blew up a column last week. It dropped SIX red gems in a row. If that's ever happened to me before, I've never noticed it. I think the odds of getting six of the same gems in a row is 2.14 x 10(-5), and six in a row out of seven is (I think) 1.78 x 10(-5).
    Hopefully, Volrak sees this and checks my math: :blush:
    1. 1/6^6
    2. 1/6^6 * 5/6
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,226 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ampersand said:
    No. Not this again. No.

Everything is cyclical. It's like the tide. You get used to it.
  • Volrak
    Volrak Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    jtwood said:
    Oh man, I had a match-4 that blew up a column last week. It dropped SIX red gems in a row. If that's ever happened to me before, I've never noticed it. I think the odds of getting six of the same gems in a row is 2.14 x 10(-5), and six in a row out of seven is (I think) 1.78 x 10(-5).
    1. 1/6^6
    2. 1/6^6 * 5/6
    Well, 6 in a row of the same colour would be 6 * 1/6^6 (because all the same colour can happen in 6 different colours).  Within a column of 7, you can basically double that (since then it can happen in two positions, top 6 or bottom 6).
    But the summary most people would care about is "really, really unlikely", and I'd say your numbers conveyed that.
  • jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    Volrak said:
    jtwood said:
    1. 1/6^6
    2. 1/6^6 * 5/6
    Well, 6 in a row of the same colour would be 6 * 1/6^6 (because all the same colour can happen in 6 different colours).  Within a column of 7, you can basically double that (since then it can happen in two positions, top 6 or bottom 6).
    But the summary most people would care about is "really, really unlikely", and I'd say your numbers conveyed that.
    There we go! I knew I'd muff that one up. Thanks