BRB soon at lv480... now what ?

BlixTheFrog
BlixTheFrog Posts: 190 Tile Toppler
Just below level 120 to start the year, and my Beta Ray Bill is now almost ready to be champed. I won’t do that right now since I hear that would make me available to get clobbered in pvp, but now I am wondering about which second 5 stars I will build up with the milestone awards. I’m thinking Apocalypse or Kitty... who would you pick ? My main go-to 4 stars are Polaris, Medusa and Karnak.

Comments

• BlixTheFrog
    450 of course... typed too fast.
  • MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 1,018 Chairperson of the Boards
    Kitty, BRB, and Polaris make a strong team.
  • BlixTheFrog
    Thanks to both of you. Maybe I'll start with Apo since Kitty can get covers through Emma Frost.
    Or start with her since her having a feeder means she'll build up more quickly.
    Damn, back to square one. :smiley:
  • Theghouse
    Theghouse Posts: 331 Mover and Shaker
    I would champ BRB as soon as you can.  He is a top tier 5* who pairs very well with the top tier 4*s.  You will also get immediate benefits in PVE from having BRB champed.
    The only reason you should wait would be if you play for top 50 or better in PVP or get to 2k in shield simulator.  Solo champ matchmaking may affect you from doing as well at that level.  But I have no problem getting to 16 wins or 575 points in solo champ matchmaking with Apoc as my only champ.

As for who to target next, Apoc and Kitty are both excellent partners.  What levels are they at on your roster right now and are they usable?

• BlixTheFrog
    Theghouse said:
    I would champ BRB as soon as you can.  He is a top tier 5* who pairs very well with the top tier 4*s.  You will also get immediate benefits in PVE from having BRB champed.
    The only reason you should wait would be if you play for top 50 or better in PVP or get to 2k in shield simulator.  Solo champ matchmaking may affect you from doing as well at that level.  But I have no problem getting to 16 wins or 575 points in solo champ matchmaking with Apoc as my only champ.

As for who to target next, Apoc and Kitty are both excellent partners.  What levels are they at on your roster right now and are they usable?

Yeah I’m actually Top 5 in PVP lv 7 (around 1000-1100 per round) with nearly 2500 points in simulator so I would like not to get clobbered too much while I build up my other 5 stars, that’s why I’m not championing BRB.
    Both my Kitty and Apo are at the same level, only 3 covers each, so I’m thinking long-term here. :D 
    I guess Kitty might be a better companion to BRB / Polaris than Apo ?
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,699 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would champ Apoc before Kitty, but I'd also wait until you can champ 3 instead of only 2. You don't want to have only 1 team.
  • BlixTheFrog
    Borstock said:
    I would champ Apoc before Kitty, but I'd also wait until you can champ 3 instead of only 2. You don't want to have only 1 team.

Yeah, I actually won't champ anyone until I have three 5 stars ready to be champed.
    I guess the real question is who would be most efficient in regular PVP : BRB + Apo or BRB + Kitty ?
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    It depends on who the meta team is in PvPs. Currently, it's iHulkoye in full fledged 5* land, so BRB and Kitty is better than Apo and BRB.

Generally speaking, Apocalypse has wider usage and compatibility than Kitty. If we are looking long term, Apocalypse is better.

In single 5* mmr, Kitty is faster with Polaris or R4G as her allies. Here, you will still see unchamped 5* with 4* or mostly Kitty with Polaris/R4G  As of now, Going in with Kitty as your sole champed 5* is good.

In double 5* mmr, Kitty still works, but Apocalypse would be better. Here, you would still see the above team, but you will see more iHulkoye, and sometimes double champed 5*.

Another way to look at things is:
    Apoc + BRB = Offensive
    Kitty + BRB = Defensive 

Also, once you fully hit 5* land and jump into SCL 9/10, don't expect top 5 or top 10. Expect top 25, 50 or 100, depending on which slice you join. 1000-1100 at best gives you top 25 most of the time, and if you are really lucky, a top 10. If not, it's likely to be top 50-100. Again, bracket sniping aside, the timeslice you join is important in determining whether you are a top 25, 50, or 100 in scl 9/10.

• Theghouse
    If neither your Apoc nor Kitty are really usable at the current moment, and you're going to pair with BRB, I would suggest go with Apoc.  He is more offensive so you can get your PVPs done quicker and get shielded.  He's also more versatile and will elevate any required character with his damage boost.  With Polaris or another mutant (30% of the 3* tier is mutants for PVP required) as a partner he's also immune to stun.  He's also great in PVE for the same reasons.

Kitty paired with BRB will be more defensive and save you some health packs and also be more of a deterrent for people to skip you, but will not play as fast which is really the biggest factor if your focus is getting placement rewards.

Kitty paired with polaris or rocket is much more offensive and very fast, but in double 5* MMR polaris and rocket will be liabilities with their low health.
  • BlixTheFrog

Also, once you fully hit 5* land and jump into SCL 9/10, don't expect top 5 or top 10. Expect top 25, 50 or 100, depending on which slice you join. 1000-1100 at best gives you top 25 most of the time, and if you are really lucky, a top 10. If not, it's likely to be top 50-100. Again, bracket sniping aside, the timeslice you join is important in determining whether you are a top 25, 50, or 100 in scl 9/10.

That interests me... some slices are less crowded than others ?
    I certainly don’t expect to hit Top 10 when going to Upper-tier, but my hope is to occasionnally hit 1200 and get the last CP reward.

Thanks for all your advices ! I’ll probably go with Apocalypse, and maybe fav Emma Frost so that Kitty builds up at the same time !
  • HoundofShadow
    Some slices are more competitive than others and there are more coordination among the players. For example, In slice 1, 3 and 5, top 10 players' score can go up to 2500 or more. If your goal is to hit 1200, then join Slice 1, 3 or 5.  In slice 2 and slice 5, the top 10 placement scores are between 1200 to 1400 because the score are "organic" and not jacked up like other slices.

The higher the top 10 players' scores are, the easier it is to hit 1200. The drawback is that your placement is likely to be top 100 or 50.
  • Theghouse

Thanks for all your advices ! I’ll probably go with Apocalypse, and maybe fav Emma Frost so that Kitty builds up at the same time !
    The last three new 4* have all been feeders for newer 5* so if this pattern continues we should see a feeder for Apoc sooner than later.

You could try to get Emma as high as possible now to get as much for Kitty as you can, and switch when the Apoc feeder is able to be faved.

Or you can save all tokens that give 4* shards until the Apoc feeder is able to be faved and collect a mountain of shards later.  And while waiting you can still fave Emma and get some shards from daily quests.

• St_Bernadus
    St_Bernadus Posts: 631 Critical Contributor
    Some slices are more competitive than others and there are more coordination among the players. For example, In slice 1, 3 and 5, top 10 players' score can go up to 2500 or more. If your goal is to hit 1200, then join Slice 1, 3 or 5.  In slice 2 and slice 5, the top 10 placement scores are between 1200 to 1400 because the score are "organic" and not jacked up like other slices.

The higher the top 10 players' scores are, the easier it is to hit 1200. The drawback is that your placement is likely to be top 100 or 50.
    Slice 4 has high scores too if you are looking for high point queues.
  • HoundofShadow
    Thanks for the correction. 

Slice 2 and 5 are the low scoring slices.
    Slice 1, 3 and 4 are the high scoring slices.
  • killahKlown
    killahKlown Posts: 583 Critical Contributor
    Go with APOC next.  

Kitty is overhyped in the 4* world.  I dont see anyone using her in upper 5* land.

Apoc however seems to be universally appreciated 
  • HoundofShadow
    You must not have played shield simulator alot. In the last Holiday season simulator, from 1700 points onwards, the top are stacked with Kitty/BRB/Polaris along with Okoye/IHulk.  
  • Kross
    Kross Posts: 92 Match Maker
    I agree with getting Apoc next. His black feeds Bill so nicely. Plus they don't overlap on any active colors.
  • HoundofShadow
    edited January 2021
    I'm in 5* land and that all is I see. So, maybe his 5* are all level 500+. That explains the difference in opponents between baby champed 5* and 500+ 5*.
  • HoundofShadow
    I have at least 5 champed 5* and I didn't start with Storm. I went with the meta one instead.  :D
  • HoundofShadow
    And she shall be great in the future.