Short Rant - In the prospect of a new player

This is game is not fair.
Frustration surpasses enjoyment most of the time. 

Comments

• Barnabes
    Barnabes Posts: 72 Match Maker
    In the absence of any specifics that can actually provoke discussion... It’s a game. It is meant to be fun. If it’s not, stop playing and find something else to do. 
  • Tremayne
    Tremayne Posts: 1,607 Chairperson of the Boards
    How is it not fair?

Many veterans have expressed that MTGPQ is extremely difficult to get started with (after having made a second or their account). So any insight into what it is that makes MTGPQ difficult, especially from a true newbie would most likely be of high interest to the dev. team. So please, don’t be shy, just let it out.
  • Horadrim
    Horadrim Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    I can think of only two things that can be frustrating: 1) bugs; and 2) unfair match making (especially new platinum tier players matched against older platinum tier players with broken cards). 
  • Tremayne
    @Horadrim - I can think of several other things that would be annoying or frustrating, starting with the first couple of booster pack having cards that do not match your first PW, getting a Mythic that is extremely expensive and having no lands to generate mana quickly or running into cascades on end.

But this is just things I imagine, I seriously can’t recall what it was like starting out with this game in 2017. So That is why I encouraged @Rant_Ent to speak up. So far nothing which is sad. Hopefully he’ll get to it.
  • Rant_Ent
    Rant_Ent Posts: 68 Match Maker
    Happy New Year to all.

The first post is in its synthesis, a rant related to the feeling of frustration and helplessness that this game can give.
    Mind you, Magic stopped being a game for kids a long time ago, if it ever was. 
    I make some considerations, the result of my brief experience of game that at the moment amounts to little more than a month.

1) The existence of this forum is mentioned, but the importance it has for guides, information on events etc is such that it should be improved.

2) Training grounds is a gym to try decks and collect some crystals. But what criteria govern the choice of the opponent? With nissa I found myself after just two victories to constantly face opponents with cards and pw of another level, (bicolor, or tricolor,)  and this happened even during the PvP events.
    With my base pw and my free boosters, I have no hope against decks with only mythic and rare cards.

3) The events for players with limited cards or with basic pw, are few. The events with free entry, and legacy decks often have opponents in PvE that turn out to be already at 1/3 opponent progression, prohibitive. Events with cost at the entrance are instead prohibitive, because I need the crystals to take other pw or other boosters.

4) As in online magic, it would be nice to have every X booster, or every Y duplicates, the possibility to buy a card of increasing rarity, from the expansions, so as to be able to give even with the basic cards some shape to the decks, without having to incur constantly in frustrating compromises, or in the continuous obtaining of double or useless cards compared to our style of play.

5) The base pw nissa, is a nice pw, with good skills, also liliana is not bad, but the other pw (i mean 50 cristal base pw) are quite modest, (except jace, which is very bad), accomplice the price, inexperience and a style of play more similar to mine I immediately bought the wrong pw (rookie player!). Nissa and liliana are examples of basic pw but in the end playable, i think that also the other colors could be made a little better.

If only the matchmaking was more balanced with a progression that does not punish you immediately if you dared to win cn the deck refined, it would already be very welcome.

Thank you.
  • Tremayne
    @rant_ent thank you taking the time to write this response.
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Rant_Ent said:
    Happy New Year to all.

Welcome!  I do understand where you're coming from, at least in part.

When I first started this game 5 years ago, I made the mistake of jumping into events pretty early on, and got pummeled by players with mythic cards when I barely had a rare or two to my name.  The game is significantly more Pay-to-win now then it was then, so I can imagine it's an even steeper climb now.

My recommendation to you (should you continue to keep playing) is to buy Koth as soon as possible, he should be affordable just by the crystals you get from story mode.  Your Origin planeswalkers will not get you far in anything beyond Story Mode.  Koth will at least give you a fighting chance in red, and you can spread your competitive growth out from there.

Good luck!
  • Magic:PQ Support Team
    Magic:PQ Support Team ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 3,257 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hello @Rant_Ent
    Thank you so much for taking the time to write this feedback. We apologize for any bad experience you faced!
    We're very grateful for receiving feedback from players that will help us improve somehow.
    I will make sure this feedback gets to the right team so it can be analyzed.

Once again, thank you 😊
    Marcela
  • Horadrim
    Horadrim Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    My advise to you as a beginner player is to first invest in three PW: Karn (colorless), Tamiyo (WUG), and Bolas (RUB any of the 3, but I'd prefer NB2 Ravager/Arisen). You can slowly level them up to when you can decently use their 3rd ability. Use Karn for most PVE as you will find that he's so versatile being colorless. His 1st (4 loyalty) and 3rd (12 loyalty) abilities are very cheap and useful. Use Tamiyo and Bolas to complete all objectives in story mode and earn all those crystals. Just log in every 6 hrs to get the free boosters. Prioritize booster crafting for Origins because it is always in Standard. Do not jump to platinum tier until you have a decent collection. Good luck collecting those cards.