The inevitable question: Heimdall or Adam Warlock?

Polares
Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
We finally have Adam LT store, we played him in his event and in his PvP tournament, so I think we can finally open the debate. If you can get only one, who should you go after?

Heimdall has an extremely rare ability, making other powers cheaper, he also has true hea, so I am inclined to think that he might be important down the line. On the other hand AW has a passive AoE, also if you don’t care about Heimdall you can probably skip DP and Magneto (so sad saying this about Magneto). So what do you think guys?

On a personal note, I have 350 pulls saved already, so I am wondering if I can open for Heimdall (hopefully with 200-250 pulls I could champ him) and then have enough time to get CPs for AW too. On the other hand maybe it would be better to wait, ignore DP and Magneto and try to get AW to 460+ What do you think guys? Help would be appreciated.

Comments

• MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 1,018 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd go with Adam Warlock. His passive is nasty.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,699 Chairperson of the Boards
    I vote Warlock. He has a certain amount of "bring him and forget about him" appeal, and Heimdall still feels like one half of a meta where the other half isn't out yet.
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,413 Chairperson of the Boards
    IMHO, Warlock > Heimdall > DP5 > Magneto5
  • Cannibalqueen
    Cannibalqueen Posts: 191 Tile Toppler
    I am really hoping the next five star is Scarlet Witch and that she’s top tier.
    All the recent ones besides Magneto, I am excited to get at least champed.  I might slack a little on Deadpool too.  I can live with those two being unclamped.  
  • abmoraz
    abmoraz Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    For me: 
    #1: Adam Warlock.  True healing and passive AoE?  Yes please.
    #2: DP5. 5* stun and Passive Damage on match (Wade & Measured)... Works really well with a lot of others
    #3: none. (There's a big gap here)
    #4: Heimdall.  He's OK.  His blue is kinda useful, but the rest of him seems... meh
    #5-#98: Still none
    #99: Magneto: He's just ... bad.  Though, not as bad as...
    #100: Wasp
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have Heimdall champed.  When he is essential I use him for all hard nodes in PVE and his essential.  He is a good tank and can speed up Apoc dropping his red down to 3-4 AP.  His true healing is nice.  The issue is once he is no longer essential I don’t use him.

AW potential is still unknown.  Thanos champed him on a sandbox account and says when using him it is all about healing him.  I still think Warlock has potential but might not be great.

overall I don’t think either will be meta.  The difference will be if you champ AW now or when he enters LL you will get a significant number of PVE with him essential and champed.  When making a choice between ok characters choose the new one so you can make PVE easier.
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    edited December 2020
    So much of a character's value depends on who else you have on your roster and what you play (PvE, PvP, SCL10, etc). If one of these 5*s was going to be your first 5* champion, or you didn't have many of the other meta 5* champions, my view may not be the best view for you.

Here's my situation:

1) I have all the meta 5*s champed (Okoye, Apoc, Beta Ray, Kitty, iHulk, etc)
    2) I don't have any of the new 5*'s champed, so my view is based on theory crafting and using:
    0/1/0 Adam
    2/3/3 Deadpool
    4/1/2 Heimdall
    3/1/2 Magneto
    3) I play both PvE SCL 10 and PvP

For me, Deadpool is the only one I use every day, but that's just in DDQ to get the token, and you don't need a bunch of covers or levels on DP to get the token, you just need to be able to beat a node. Outside of that, none of these 4 are seeing the light of day except when they are featured in PvE.

I rate my 5*s on a scale of 1 to 4:
    1) Meta: immediately becomes part of a core pick 2 or pick 3 team
    2) Really boosts my pick 2 (either Thorkoye, Thorpocalypse, or BRBlaris)
    3) Adds something to my pick 2 even if not monumental
    4) Gets in the way or is only a damage sponge

Adam: Jury's still out, but I'm trending towards 3 or 4. I think he's more complicated and healthpack intensive than iHulk, and he'll likely tank Yellow and Black over Okoye, eating away her TU AP. Plus he'll eat the black I want Apocalypse to fire. The Purple trap tiles are a nice outlet for a color no one else is using, but not enough to make up for his other shortcomings.

Deadpool: Solid 3. Someone on the team has to take a lot of damage for his Black to matter, and usually the battle is over before that happens. I'm never firing his Red over Apoc's, or Okoye's, but it is an outlet for BRBlaris, although by then Polaris likely has everyone stunned and the damage isn't meaningful. The Blue is nice when boosted by Apoc or Okoye, but it might require you matching a color you don't want, or the color you want to match isn't the strongest for the character you want to damage. Still, I have found myself inflicting a bunch of boosted damage this way but 1 cover is plenty as the damage is coming from my damage booster (Apoc or Okoye).

Heimdall: Solid 2: Paired with Thorpocalypse, this team carved through the 5e with ease. Poccy's powers are cheap as it is, but when you reduce his Red to costing only 3 per cast via a color you have no other outlet for, you do a ton of damage fast. Or, if you're short on AP, line up a 3 fortified tile match and voila, 6 AP in one match. Plus Thor is generally creating more Yellow AP than I need, so the ability to have Heimdall toss the other 2 up in the air and thus turn some of that Yellow into other colors I'll use (Green and Black) is great. He has a high HP pool and damage reduction to boot.

Magneto: Jury is still out but trending towards 3 or 4. I've just not been able to figure out what to do with him other than get him in front when a nuke's about to go off. I'm going to try him with BRBlaris and see if that protect tile boost is worthwhile. I also wonder if partnering him with Kitty & BRB would put up a damage reducing wall, but so many toons can ignore protects (Apoc, Thor) that I'm not sure it will help.

But again, I reiterate: none of these are seeing the light of day unless featured (or I get bored and want to mess around). As for class of 2020 PvE next year, well, best of luck then...
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    @helix72 i just champed Mags, and have been using him with Potty (especially in Strange Sights) and Profslaught in season SIM. He does have some value; once you fire off his Yellow, you’re taking 1 match damage every turn. And yes, while there are Protect-tile ignoring abilities like Havok, Thor, Poccy, by the time they get their Red AP, you should have built up enough AP of your own to do some serious damage to them. His Red...is ok I guess. Although using him with Potty, you flood the board with tiles so quickly that both his and Kitty’s Red have no tiles to spawn on. At least his Yellow works even with a board chock full of SAP tiles. Just forget he has a Blue power; Polaris’ and Onslaught’s are so much better.

Woah! Finally someone notices magneto potential. Be careful there! You could slowly turn to my team. The Half of a Dozen Six of a One Team.
    About AW his best feature its not revealed until champing him.
    But Im starting to see people running him champed right now.
    Last time I saw that was on Apoc. Previous, brb.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2020
    A lot of people is not seeing the fire and forget potential AW has. I am betting he will be used A LOT more than some people think.

In the end I decided to open some of my pulls, and I did open 150 + what I got from those. I champed DP5 (well I will with shards), I got HD to 4/4/4 and Mags to 4/0/5 (I will get two or three covers with shards), so I champed them or almost so I am happy. Now to save for AW and the next two.

PS: Got my first yellow cover for Mags, and after playing him really looks like his yellow is his best power. Probably his only good power (red is ok). Played him with BRBritty and the team was decent, but I doubt he will work in any other team. They really really need to rework his blue :(
  • Michael1957
    Michael1957 Posts: 630 Critical Contributor
    Just champed Heimdall and he’s awesome support with a low AP power character and a power booster. Or BRB/ Polaris for stun lock.