Lord Arioch?

mbaren
mbaren Posts: 220 Tile Toppler
I'm sorry, I feel like this is a reference I should get, but I'm not sure who Lord Arioch is, or why he is being named in the event milestone.  Anyone have an idea?

Comments

• Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 986 Critical Contributor
    I was intrigued as well. If you google him, it's one of the lords of Chaos in books by Michael Moorcock. But as far as the connection with Strange Sights, I don't know.

Perhaps it's a tribute to a player, who has passed. I've seen it before in Morrowind with Lord Brinne's ashes.  

• mbaren
    Yeah, I was wondering about that too, but I couldn't find a record of him on the boards here.  I realize that's not exactly definitive when it comes to determining whether or not someone is a player, but that's all I got.
  • Theghouse
    Theghouse Posts: 331 Mover and Shaker
    My guess is that it's a reference to somebody who was close to one of the developers, or perhaps the entire development team.  What a unique way to honor and remember them!
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,390 Chairperson of the Boards
    What puzzles me is... how can we complete this 'in his spirit' if nobody even seems to know who this references?

Seems like a failed memoriam, then.
  • Robadub
    Robadub Posts: 3 Just Dropped In
    During the Strange Tales run that was a split book with Cloak and Dagger, Doctor Strange encountered a minion of Shuma Gorath who had the appearance of Arioch from the Michael Moorcock Elric series. He absorbed him, gaining his extra power at the cost of his identity, and his hair became blonde and stringy, taking on some of Arioch's appearance. He defeated Shuma Gorath, but needed the help of his current mentor Kaluu to get recover his identity. (Strange Tales volume 2,, 13-15)
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Remembering Lord Arioch

Complete the Strange Sights story event in honor of a true fan.

Lord Arioch = true fan

This must be something really personal between the devs and that player. 

• mbaren
    Thank you!
  • Akoni
    Akoni Posts: 790 Critical Contributor
    LakeStone said:
    This is a former long-time MPQ player (and Doctor Strange fan) that recently passed that we honored in the game.  
    I think little gestures like this are often overlooked. We all go about our lives, often supporting or helping others through our actions. In this case, this person enjoyed playing this game and probably provided financial support through purchases. Although, that is something that many of us do, we forget that the little purchases we make in this game help someone to put food on the table. That little gesture was someone stopping to show appreciation.