Gamependium.com security warning?

grenadier
grenadier Posts: 137 Tile Toppler
Anyone know what is up with gamependium.com?  They're throwing a security warning in Chrome warning that the page may have been hijacked.

Comments

• cooperbigdaddy
    cooperbigdaddy Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    I saw that too, so I'm scared to update my roster on there.
  • LFChikarason
    LFChikarason Posts: 401 Mover and Shaker
    It goes down every 3 months or so, it's a bummer
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,088 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah this is why I stopped updating my roster on there too.
  • XandorXerxes
    XandorXerxes Posts: 340 Mover and Shaker
    edited December 2020
    Gamependium has always been resistant to using proper security certificates. It resisted using them for the longest time, and now it doesn't maintain it that well.

The error I'm seeing is: NET::ERR_CERT_DATE_INVALID and if you click advanced it tells you a pretty self-descriptive statement - "This server could not prove that it is mpq.gamependium.com; its security certificate expired 13 days ago."

I'm going to be a little liberal with my terminology because it makes it easier to explain, so for those of you who know this stuff feel free to jump on me but I promise I'm doing it intentionally:

Certificates are a server's way of saying "I am the server you want to connect to and not a different one." When you request a certificate from a certificate authority, you have to set an expiration. Shorter is technically better from a security perspective because it means you're essentially validating yourself more often. In this particular case the owner of gamependium has decided not to re-validate before his certificate expired (by almost two weeks it looks like). In terms of security problems this one is really mild. What you REALLY want to watch out for is when the certificates don't match - e.g. you get a warning when going to google.com that the certificate is for somethingelse.com, because that's indicative of someone trying to compromise your traffic (there's probably another underlying issue, too).

I don't endorse using sites that are slack on their security, but if you'd really like to use Gamependium I wouldn't be too worried about this particular problem from a security perspective. Given that it's the holiday season I wouldn't expect the owner to fix it until January since it's not already taken care of.
  • LFChikarason
    DAZ0273 said:
    Other than just a spreadsheet or nothing, are you using something else? 
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,088 Chairperson of the Boards
    DAZ0273 said:
    Other than just a spreadsheet or nothing, are you using something else? 
    Nope and I miss it. Updating my roster would be quite a chore too given how out of date I am.
  • Loosie
    Loosie Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    I’m using a spreadsheet. Where I’m at with my roster it’s easier. And I can also keep track of shards and feeders
  • JFisch
    JFisch Posts: 116 Tile Toppler
    The owner of Gamependium used a free SSL certificate service. The pro: free! The con: expires in 90 days. Depending on your browser, you can get around it and, so long as your account password isn't a shared one, there wouldn't be much compromised.

Except...
    Well, it expired in September and if you try to go around it, the hostname is invalid as well. So I'm about 99% convinced Gamependium is dead now.
  • Reecoh
    Reecoh Posts: 210 Tile Toppler
    Cymmina said:

The server admin and I don't have time to go through the hoops of manually renewing certificates, since we've moved on to playing other games.

Can your admin use Let'sEncrypt? It's free and has an auto-renew bot that works like a charm.
    Or maybe consider finding a new owner to take it over?
  • jkzl
    jkzl Posts: 89 Match Maker
    "Free"
    "Free Forever"
    "You have reached the maximum number of certs on the free plan"

FREE

FOREVER

(or maybe just for 30 months or less)

gotta love people.  just know that we appreciate the time/effort/work that you put into this @Cymmina

• grenadier
    Looks totally dead now, sadly.
  • jkzl
    jkzl Posts: 89 Match Maker
    For those that haven't tried it, you can just take the S out of https:// and the site is operational.

http://mpq.gamependium.com/  

-instead of-

https://
  • grenadier
    Thanks for the tip.  Didn't even realize I had the secure protocol on my bookmark.

• LFChikarason
    Twice I went in to update my roster and twice it didn't save, it timed out very quickly. Sadly, I think I'll just stick with my spreadsheet
  • StormDragonE55
    StormDragonE55 Posts: 35 Just Dropped In
    I can't seem to access my roster even without the secure protocol.  Every time I try to sign in it tells me my account doesn't exist.  Oh well.   I totally stick when I comes to spread sheets.   I'm going to be guessing from here on out. 
  • grenadier
    Guessing that since they no longer support https, that anything require a secure connection, such as logging in, is broken?