Polaris and kitty counters

Ab_capone
Ab_capone Posts: 16 Just Dropped In
Hi everyone. I was curious to know if there is a thread that shows any covers counter cover? Who is kitty’s counter? Who is Polaris’ counter? Who can be used to demolish these characters and make null their powers? If anyone can please help, I’d really appreciate it. 

Comments

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,569 Chairperson of the Boards
    They do seem to be everywhere, don't they?

The thing with these characters is normally more about who they are teamed up with. It also depends on where you are in the game with your roster. So specific advice is hard to do but hopefully some below will help. If you are seeing these teams I guess you are either a 3* transistioner or a 4* player.

To start with the easy one - Polaris is a Kitty counter if she is teamed up with any special tile maker! Polaris loves specials, anybidies will do! If you are talking about Gritty i.e. Kitty + 4* Rocket & Groot then there are various characters who can counter them - Black Suit Spider-man can reduce strike tiles power. Sabretooth can destroy strike tiles. Medusa (don't use against Kitty you will die), Prowler and various others can steal them. The big issue with Kitty is to stop her boost train from rolling, so you can also stun her. There are a bunch of good cheap stunners but you could even bring a team up to do this. Doctor Strange can stun and destroy special tiles. Beta Ray Bill can spam shields to blunt damage. So lots of options. 4* Thanos passively destroys specials and also has a power to blow up specials on the board. Main Event Hulk can also sometimes take out a bunch of specials with his opening move. Against Kitty you should also avoid characters that passively put out either one single special or a single Countdown as Circuit Breaker will gobble these up and hurt you. So avoid using Scarlet Witch or Iron Fist, etc. 4* Captain Marvel is OK but make sure you have your yellow ready to go straight away when during black.

Polaris doesn't really need a specific counter. Her health is quite low so the tactic with her is to target her first, match away any specials so she can't take advantage and most importantly DENY BLUE.

It will also depend on board conditions, sometimes you just won't be able to do anything.

Good luck!
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    One thing to note - Kitty's powers only have one hard-counter that does the exact opposite of hers, and that is Kraven who is a 4*. He won't be able to keep pace with even a middling Kitty's tile boosting though, so he is kind of a red herring on this one. Generally speaking, it's best not to bring characters that drop a single friendly special passively (so no Valkyrie, Totally Awesome Hulk, Medusa, 3* Iron Fist, 3* Luke Cage, probably best to avoid 3* Blade) because you'll be taking a Circuit Breaker to the face before you can sneeze. In a pick-2 PVP scenario, try just using whatever that character is as a loaner and get them to die on turn 2 or as soon as you can arrange it so they stop being a liability. If you have him, 5* Dr Doom (god emperor) has a pretty interesting passive where he can die and remove all enemy specials on the board. If you then also have Captain America (infinity war) or his yellow team up, you could revive Doom after that, but that's a pretty niche gimmick strategy.

If you're getting burned by Circuit Breaker, the counter to that is to not bring anyone that makes friendly special tiles that aren't repeaters, or that makes SO many of them that it is a non issue (see Polaris notes above). If you're getting burned by her tile boosting power, your real solution is to figure out which type of tiles you're struggling to overcome. If it's strikes, you're likely seeing her paired either with Polaris or 4* Rocket and Groot. In either case, what you'll want to do is get rid of the strikes, and your best bet there is Sabretooth. Rocket, aside from Welcome to the Team, is usually too slow to be a problem unto himself, so if that's the team you're seeing attack Kitty first. Polaris is a different story, so target her and then match all the strikes you can find to remove that problem from the board. Spider Man (back in black) can negate strike tile boosts, which makes him actually a counter to this combo rather than being a hard Kitty counter, but useful nonetheless if you can get him with enough covers on that color.

If you're seeing teams that use Kitty + Carnage (4 or 5*), you may have a rougher time, because both flavors of Carnage will seed specials on your side of the equation regardless of who you bring along, which will initiate Circuit Breaker. Here I think you'll want to try some special tile removers like Th4nos who is fastest at it, or the previously mentioned Dr Strange, or you could use maybe Magik, though she costs a lot to do it and probably won't be as effective. You could also attempt 4* Mr Fantastic, who will fire off free powers when you match I think 4 enemy specials, or maybe Main Event Hulk with Grand Entrance maxed out. That's the one I was using in my 4* days, and it was kind of hit or miss.

Protects you have a few options - you can either worry about removing them, or you can just use characters like Luke Cage 4*, Red Gaurdian, Thor (gladiator), or Apocalypse to just bypass the bonus. You could also bring 4* Venom (Eddie Brock), but since he populates the opponent side with enemy protects, it'll either work or fail spectacularly when he dies on you.
  • Jacklag
    Jacklag Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    I use America Chavez and Karnak, but I'm still in 4* land. With AP boosts on every color, Chavez kills a non-champed kitty fairly quick. If the opposing team is using 4* Grocket, then Sabertooth+Polaris works well if you take Polaris out first. Then you can use Polaris' blue to stun the enemy Kitty.

Those are the quick and dirty "I usually win, but if I loose at least it didn't drag on for long" options. For a more guaranteed win. Beta Ray Bill + Polaris. Take care to always match your own protect tiles right away and stun the enemy Polaris ASAP. Then stun the enemy Kitty. You'll have a strong supply of blue for that.
  • Ab_capone
    Ab_capone Posts: 16 Just Dropped In
    Thanks to all the tips/tricks/strats
    i have been basically doing all that you’ve mentioned already. I am a 4* to 5* transitioner. So I have a variety of options. I just wanted to make sure I was doing the best possible. I know circuit breaker is killer. I have it. I have kitty at 5/5/2. Which is pretty powerful. I just wanted to fix up my teams and know who she is weakest against. So I can go against her properly and also so I can setup my defensive team to where people skip me. I compete in SCL-9. It’s pretty smooth as far as rewards placement and getting high ranks.... there are some teams that completely demolish me but that’s just how the **** PvP system is setup. There’s no balance. Thanks again to you all who replied. I appreciate the time and knowledge. I’m going on 2 years playing but I still like to learn as much as I can from those who’ve been playing longer and make me roster look small!!! There’s always something to learn!!! Take it easy!!! C YA
  • fiirst
    fiirst Posts: 438 Mover and Shaker
    polaris kitty
  • Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,013 Chairperson of the Boards
    Throg is a great polaritty counter. 
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    what is your throg team? 
  • Jacklag
    edited February 2021
    ammenell said:
    what is your throg team? 
    I would also like to know. In pick 3 I imagine Throg, Vulture and Iceman would work well, but I never tried. In pick 2, I think Vulture, though collecting black might be an issue, but I would like suggestions.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2021
    If you want to maximise his green power, that is to say, watch it trigger more than 3 to 5 times, you need someone who can tank those strengthened strike tiles. If not, team him with someone who can spam yellow tiles so that you can spam his yellow power.

If you are using Vulture, you can collect yellow and fire Throg's yellow instead. It will trigger Vulture's passive ability. Black Cat will stun opponent after going airborne via Throg's yellow power.
  • McPosterson
    McPosterson Posts: 41 Just Dropped In
    I betcha that's what they did in beta testing?  Can confirm, no?
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    One of the Carnages is great with Throg, because you can seed the board with enemy specials yourself. It occurs to me that the Charge Tile meta may be intended to fuel the Match Damage bonus characters that have been coming out lately. Since a charged tile does 300% of match damage, using someone like Colossus or Adam Warlock (or even an iHulk who's died several times) with someone like Throg has the potential to be pretty unrelenting.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,900 Chairperson of the Boards
    Morbius :smile:
    KGB

• Jacklag
    I used Vulture, Heimdall and Black Cat in this week's Black Cat event. So funny! Didn't even need to fire Black Cat's Purple to get the enemy team stunlocked. But I guess that would have had the same effect on any other team. Took really long, but in part it was because I wanted to heal Heimdall back to full health.