Would you call me a complete idiot if I split my 5* Magneto covers in two slots?

Jacklag
Jacklag Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
edited December 2020 in MPQ General Discussion
I'm thinking 5* Magneto could be a more interesting character without some of his powers. As has been stated here previously, his Blue power depends on building up Yellow AP, but he has an active Yellow power that reduces that power's effectiveness. He also puts repeater tiles which stop counting when he goes airborn. So I've been thinking, a 5* Magneto with just Blue covers would pair well with Vulture and Heimdall to defeat iHulk, while another Mags with just Yellow and Red has that great passive and an okay Active Yellow and that neat red.

Or does anyone believe the devs will actually fix him in less than an years time?
Tagged:

Comments

• Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    If they haven't fixed Banner or Wa5p yet, they're not fixing Mag5.
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,769 Chairperson of the Boards
    This is an interesting concept... it dates back to old 3* Gambit, when we would just get 5 black covers and call it a day.  :)

It has potential, but I don't think it's "meta" potential.  Its quite the gamble... splitting valuable 5* covers like that.  I'd be interested to see someone's postings and write-ups on it, like a journal.
  • Mr_F
    Mr_F Posts: 723 Critical Contributor
    edited December 2020
    Anon said:

5* Wasp is almost perfect the way she is! I mean the major thing I would change would be making her swarm tiles indestructable so landing CtS would be much easier and less frustrating. Thats all I need. The other things is just thing llike "number tweaks".
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    MPQ matches centre around making a team of pick 2 or 3. So, all you need is to wait for someone to be released that creates synergy with him. The most famous example is 5* Carol. One and a half year after her release, she rose up to be become a part of the meta team, albeit a short one.

Apart from that, your team consisting of incomplete Magneto will make you a big target. On top of that, damage potential will reduce significantly. One 5* cover is equal to 15 levels. Your maximum level for a 5 blue cover Magneto is 330, and 405 for 5 yellow and 5 red cover Magneto.
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,413 Chairperson of the Boards
    Would I call you a complete idiot?  No.  Would I say that you are not being optimal and judicious?  Yes.  Feel free to do what makes you happy but in no way, shape or form is Magneto worth two spots on your roster.  There is no meaningful configuration of him at partial where you wouldn't be better either bringing out someone else or having him at a higher level.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jacklag said:
    I'm thinking 5* Magneto could be a more interesting character without some of his powers. As has been stated here previously, his Blue power depends on building up Yellow AP, but he has an active Yellow power that reduces that power's effectiveness.
    Just... don’t fire Yellow before firing blue?

Jacklag said:
    He also puts repeater tiles which stop counting when he goes airborn.
    Just... don’t send him airborne if you want his repeaters to countdown?

Jacklag said:
    So I've been thinking, a 5* Magneto with just Blue covers would pair well with Vulture and Heimdall to defeat iHulk, while another Mags with just Yellow and Red has that great passive and an okay Active Yellow and that neat red.

Or does anyone believe the devs will actually fix him in less than an years time?
    I don’t see how a Mags at 1/3 health (or whatever the cap would be for a 5/0/0 character) would be a counter for Hulk. The same reason 1/2 Thor and Polaris don’t work (and they do their things passively). Before you get the AP to send everyone airborne, Hulk will murder you.

Yes, Mags sucks and his powers are contradictory. But his issues can be played around on offense. If you JUST want to play him for his blue, play his blue. If you JUST want to play him for his red/yellow, then don’t send him airborne. Either way, you get him at full  health and thus more sustainability on offense. Mags is a joke on defense whether you split him or not, so there’s no benefit there. No one is fearing him and everyone will hit him like his name was Hope Van Banner. 

Hopefully they buff, but even if they don’t I see zero benefit to what you’re proposing. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,386 Chairperson of the Boards
    If you're trying to create an "ai-proof" defensive Magneto by making it impossible for him to fire powers he doesn't have, I think that's a lost cause. The reason people used to do it with Gambit is because he prevented (and still does) other red and purple users from firing those powers if he had covers on his, so a 0/0/5 build was useful (particularly for Spider-Gwen/Thing teams). In the case of Magneto, I don't see it helping at all.

I am curious though - anyone actually get him champed and care to comment on his usefulness? I've seen exactly 1 in PVP, and I was looking for points at that moment and since he wasn't worth any, i skipped him.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,088 Chairperson of the Boards
    I am contemplating just skipping rostering him entirely, he seems so terrible and a few events with no 5E is not that bad. Would be good to hear something that makes me change my mind. 
  • St_Bernadus
    St_Bernadus Posts: 631 Critical Contributor
    DAZ0273 said:
    I am contemplating just skipping rostering him entirely, he seems so terrible and a few events with no 5E is not that bad. Would be good to hear something that makes me change my mind. 
    Just roster him with shards.
  • Heartbreaksoup
    Heartbreaksoup Posts: 356 Mover and Shaker
    I confess I'm stumped how you would do this.  If you recruit Magneto for the first time when you land a yellow or red cover, how do you recruit a second version with a blue cover instead of just adding the blue cover to your existing character? 
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,221 Chairperson of the Boards
    I confess I'm stumped how you would do this.  If you recruit Magneto for the first time when you land a yellow or red cover, how do you recruit a second version with a blue cover instead of just adding the blue cover to your existing character? 
    @Heartbreaksoup
    On the claim your rewards screen, when you see the cover and it says "Train", in the upper right corner there's a star symbol.  Chick on that and it'll let you roster a new instance of the character.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    This definitely used to be a viable strategy in the olden days (I still have a 5/1/0 4* prof X for Charlie's angels). 
    Nowadays. I don't think it is particularly viable, largely because of the champion system and the rarity of 5* cards. 
    An undercovered 5* is easy prey in PvP because they are so much weaker that full champs.  so whatever you gain in terms of climbing with your dupe 5mags, you will lose by being an easy target land mags isn't particularly fast).  The only exception to this rule is maybe IH, because even when underleveled, he can't be killed first.  So using an underleveled ih with okoye for convenience on offense isn't quite as much of a handicap on defense (though you will still take more hits than a higher leveled team with the same score).
    So maybe your dupe 5mags would be somewhat useful in pve?  But more useful than actual meta alternatives?   I doubt it.  
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,390 Chairperson of the Boards
    You know the devs have missed their mark on 5Mags if this option is already being discussed before him even entering tokens.
  • Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    edited December 2020
    Mr_F said:
    Anon said:

5* Wasp is almost perfect the way she is! I mean the major thing I would change would be making her swarm tiles indestructable so landing CtS would be much easier and less frustrating. Thats all I need. The other things is just thing llike "number tweaks".
    Yeah... no. The major thing wrong with Wasp is that swarm tiles are locked and restrict matches available on her colors and in general. I would change them to being unlocked and giving Wasp blue/yellow/black if they're destroyed, as that seems to work ok for BRB. Even then, Swarm AoE damage might be too weak.

To answer the OP - I would never say or do that.  :)