Why does 5Wasp exist?

Steve111
Steve111 Posts: 160 Tile Toppler
Jeez, I’ve been dreading the time when 5Wasp is the essential. What a totally useless waste of space. She adds absolutely nothing to the team or the game. 

Or has anyone actually got *any* use for her? 

Comments

• Ares76
    Ares76 Posts: 227 Tile Toppler
    I have a champable Wasp at level 255 with two saved covers for more than a year. Now she is featured and I am considering champing her after the event because I don't want her tanking yellow, black and team-ups(?) over Thorkoye. That says all about her. At least the shards will bring her to lvl. 453 then which will be worth the iso since I get an Lt and 25 CP. That's all Wasp is good for. 
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,699 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have to believe they had larger plans for swarm tiles and abandoned them at some point. It just makes no sense to have a mechanic that is totally unique to a single character like that. I think they were going to be like web tiles are for Spidey characters, but for Ant-Man characters instead.
  • MadScientist
    MadScientist Posts: 317 Mover and Shaker
    A champed Wasp can take about two hits in the first 5E node to protect her partners. That's better than nothing.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    She exists because Marvel wants her to.  :D

She can work with BRB/Polaris by helping Polaris to multiply strike or protect tiles via the detonation of her swarm tiles and their surroundings tiles, if they contain your special tiles. 

• Mr_F
    Mr_F Posts: 723 Critical Contributor
    MegaBee said:
    She exists solely as a challenge for that one dude who's determined to find a use for her. Godspeed, you Wasp fan.

You speak about me? If so I am happy that I got remembered.
    Sadly, I quited playing MPQ few weeks ago. Too much time consumed and my other hobbies, family time and health (SLEEP!) were hurt by that far to much I could accept.
    But If I was still in game I would say "TY for finally her being essential and all the best wishes from ya all". So...
    Thank Toy Very much for appreciation! ^_^
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2020
    Borstock said:
    I have to believe they had larger plans for swarm tiles and abandoned them at some point. It just makes no sense to have a mechanic that is totally unique to a single character like that. I think they were going to be like web tiles are for Spidey characters, but for Ant-Man characters instead.

This seems plausible as their strategy, if a bit foolish because thinking your game will have as much invested in the Ant-Man-iverse as it will in the spiderverse is pretty naive. 
    But even if true, it's still no excuse for the utter failure of her design as is.  She should never have been released in this state (or they should at least have bumped her down to a 4*.  They could probably even keep all her #s the same and she would still be a pretty weak 4*). The fact that she has been left as is for years now is also a pretty big indictment on the game.  Demi hates that players hoard, but then refuse to do anything about absolute trash clogging up the 5* tier and siphoning away precious resources for less than no reward.  can you imagine how much it must suck to have spent significant LT/cp resources chasing your first 5* champ as a less experienced player, and then discovering that your MMR now locks you in to play with the useless piece of junk of that is 5* wasp?  Thankfully I avoided that fate, but I bet some players on the board has lived that experience with Wasp or KP or 5* banner and feels quite badly burned by the game.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Can someone play Taps for 5* Wasp?  That was probably her last hope (pun intended!)
  • tupacboy
    tupacboy Posts: 126 Tile Toppler
    To remind you of how bad some 5stars can be..... So that you can appreciate the op ones
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,769 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2020
    @Mr_F

I was gonna message you on here, just to tell you that she's essential -- despite your not-playing status now.  

But yeah... even boosted, it's just not good!  Her blue is probably her best, and even then, its not good.  Stealing AP is usually cool, but waiting 3 turns for it on a CD?  Yikes.  Good thing it only costs 6 Blue.  Man.. it's a good thing there isn't SOME OTHER 6 AP Blue ability out there that'd completely outshine every other blue ability, otherwise, this Wasp ability would be entirely embarrassing!  

I'd like to think that it's design like THIS that lead to Mr. F's farewell.  Sure, his priorities are in order.  No objection whatsoever!  But, lets just imagine a MPQ where they actually tried to balance their characters a bit better.  Mr. F might've stuck around longer, because his favorite person was actually pleasing to play as!

You'd think that the developers would think about that too... that somebody's favorite(s) is also tied to player retention.  But maybe I'm just speculating too much.
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Mr_F said:
    MegaBee said:
    She exists solely as a challenge for that one dude who's determined to find a use for her. Godspeed, you Wasp fan.

Sadly, I quited playing MPQ few weeks ago. Too much time consumed and my other hobbies, family time and health (SLEEP!) were hurt by that far to much I could accept.
    But If I was still in game I would say "TY for finally her being essential and all the best wishes from ya all". So...
    Did it ever occur to you the reason you spent so much time playing was because you insisted on using 5* Wasp?

Another strike against her-she makes players quit. Or maybe that’s one of her powers?
  • Mr_F
    PiMacleod said:
    Her blue is probably her best, and even then, its not good.

Her black is better. Especially with 2/1/1 build I used to play.
  • Mr_F
    helix72 said:
    Mr_F said:
    MegaBee said:

Did it ever occur to you the reason you spent so much time playing was because you insisted on using 5* Wasp?

Another strike against her-she makes players quit. Or maybe that’s one of her powers?
    Well... because of her match damage and possesion of support, I even spend less time. About 30 minutes per PVE run. Simple in SCL 7, 5* match damage speeds the thing up a lot. But no matter who I used as long as it was outside of the meta and was below 5* level, I spend same amount of time every day. 2-3 hours pn PVE, 1h on PVP and DPQ and other stuff. Even Karnak did not speed up much.

• sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,157 Chairperson of the Boards
    Why dies 5-Wasp exist?  To be Meat Shield #2 for the low level PvE runs with Thanos and OML.
  • Aweberman
    Aweberman Posts: 433 Mover and Shaker
    Wasp's black power is not bad, particularly when she's boosted.  Pair with Okoye and you have a black outlet.  Okoye will boost the health that she steals, and that can help her meat shield even better.  I'm in cl9 this event, but if I were in cl10, I'd probably be running her with Hulkoye.

As for why Wasp is as bad as she is, here are some possibilities:
    - As has been observed elsewhere, the devs seem to overvalue board shake.  This could have led them to thinking that Wasp is better.
    - They also seem to forget that locking tiles isn't inconvenient for only the other team; it's also inconvenient for you.
    - Remember that Wasp was being developed in the Gambit era.  They'd already "nerfed" him once and were going to have to nerf him again.  I think this led to them missing low on a few characters (like IWCap, Loki, and Kingpin).  Wasp wouldn't be as bad with a couple tweaks to her numbers (especially on Call the Swarm, where the bonus damage should probably be 100%, not 10% -- maybe it was a typo).
    - The flip side of that is there had already been a strong set of characters just before this.  Right before Wasp went in, latests were Jessica Jones/IW Cap/Okoye; Kitty came in with Wasp and Loki.  This means that if they are as calculating as some think, and they knew how good Okoye and Kitty were, that they felt compelled to pair them with weaker characters.  (I'm not saying this is the case; I'm just offering possibilities.)
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,203 Chairperson of the Boards
    A movie came out and they wanted to cash in on her 
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    the real question is, why has she been left to languish in the depths of absolute and unequivocal uselessness and has not been buffed?