CP for Latests or for Classics?

darkman84
darkman84 Posts: 56 Match Maker
Hi guys, I have all 4* rostered, but most of them is not even close to being champed. I also have a bunch of CPs stored (near 4k).
At first my plan was to get to 7500, and use up when a decent set of 5* is in latest. But now I consider maybe spending CP on classics to start rostering them (which would enable 5E for more PVE events).
What would you recommend doing? Should I wait with CPs for good new 5* / fun favorites, or just use it now to roster some classics, and start hoarding after I have most of 5*s? 

Comments

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,576 Chairperson of the Boards
    Most veteran MPQ players are affixed to the "bust a hoard in Latest 3" method of advancement as being the most efficient way to cover 5* and are not fans of chasing Classics.
    The most honest answer to this question is: have you run out of patience? Hoarding is a horrible endeavour to some whilst others find it easy. I am a bit 50/50 myself. If you feel your progress is being stunted then spending a little might make you engage with the game again if hoarding is getting you down.
    Going to 5* land without targeted 4* champed support might also not be the wisest idea - so it does also really depend on being able to champ the most useful meta 4* to support and backstop 5*.
  • darkman84
    Hmm, patience is not a problem for me. I need to be patient in this game cause I don't spend money aside from some HP once a month to enable bonus rewards.
    But maybe like you said, I should now focus on champing more 4*, before going on 5*...
    As for classics - don't you think it's good to have at least one of each for better placements in PVE?
  • DAZ0273
    It is a difficult question for me to answer - when I first started playing the only 5* in game were Silver Surfer, Old Man Logan, Phoenix, and Spider-man (Back in Black), as such I accumulated 5* covers as I went along, there was no 5* Essential missions and 5* were mostly considered something a bit exotic for the top players. There are a lot of classic 5s now and chasing them all could be an expensive operation.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,904 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2020
    What CL level are you playing at? Presumably you are in 7 now if you are thinking about the 5E node?
    As others have mentioned, I would not blow your CP on classics. 7500 is 375 draws. At 15% rate that's 56 5* covers which is barely 1 cover per 5* (with a good chance you don't get 1 of every 5*). At that point you can use them in the 5E node in CL7 but would struggle to use them in 8 and beyond until your 4*s are champed (or at least a meta 4* team like Grocket/Juggs or Grocket/Polaris).
    The other thing you don't mention is how many HP do you have? You need 46000 HP to roster 46 characters if you don't have any of the 5's already rostered.
    What day are you on in the daily resupply? Starting at 730 (end of year 2/start of year 3) you will get a different 5* classic cover every hundred days. So that will also net you a single 5* cover for PvE. Since you can see exactly which ones you get, you can sharget classics you won't get for a long time so you can get single covers that way too.
    Save your hoard of CP for latests when you are ready to make the 5* leap.
    KGB
  • darkman84
    Ok, so I'm at 95 level in shield rank, so SCL9 is unlocked, however at this point I mostly play at 7 in PVE.
    As for HP - it is not even close 46k, but I think I was a bit unclear when I described the question about Classics. I didn't plan on spending all those CP on Classic pulls at once - I'm considering just pulling a bit each time I have a free spot (until I hit a character which is not rostered yet). Then I would wait for 1000HP, and do another pulls until new 5* character.
    This wouldn't blow all 4k CPs, but it would kinda freeze it, because probably 1000HP "refill" would took relatively more or less the same time as few Classic pulls worth CPs "refill" (provided a static 5s pull rate).
    Pros: - chance for better rewards from PVE placement, and also a bit faster 4* progress.
    Cons: - frozen CP number, not ready in case of some nice three Latest or just Fan Fav wault. 

It's not that I would like to jump to 5* land now. I'd rather have at least half of 4* (if not most of them) champed before that. Besides I would like to play a bit with 4*s before going higher in MMR. So opening classics like I described tempts me.

However waiting for 375 Latest pulls seem to be more reasonable, cause it's a no brainer that three 5* fully covered is way better than 30/40 or even 50 5* with only one cover each.

But I suppose it's also a matter of personal preferences.
    Just wanted to know what others think about that.
  • itsuka7
    itsuka7 Posts: 106 Tile Toppler
    As a 4* player, I recommend spending most cp in classics for a while IF playing PVE is important to you (PVP requires hoarding strategies, but PVE and collecting approaches do not).

Spending in classics will do several things you need as a 4* pve player.
    - it will give you 25% more 4* covers. Which you need to get better and champable 4*
    - it will give you 25% more 4* and 5* shards, which again, you need to improve your 4* roster and complete at least one cover of each 5*
    - it will allow you to eventually roster at least 1 cover of every classic unfed 5* you’d need to compete in pve for decent ranking.
    - many 5* meta are in classics. If you are a patient player, you will pick up a few covers on good ones like BRB, Okoye, Apocalypse. Yes fan favourite stores do that too, but at the cost of those 25% extra 4* covers and shards. Also, working on your 4* roster and getting a lot of them on 280 will mean many of them will feed you a few classic 5* covers you need as well for pve.
    This approach is not favored by pvp players, as they want to get 3 powerful 5* as fast as possible. However, several strong pve players, and broad collectors who wanna champ ‘m all, in my alliance group take this approach and it works well, as long as you are content to slowly work your way up instead going for narrow strength.

if you want to see how such a roster strategy works out, check mine, Itsuka7 in AoP 3. I have been drawing classics and playing for ranking in pve for 851 days now, mostly in scl7, though I have moved to scl8 recently. PVE is my focus, but I play PVP for fun, usually to 40 wins.
  • darkman84
    Thank you all for your inputs.
    How about waiting with CP for this Christmas? Do you think there may be some interesting vaults / offers, or there still isn't much point in doing that? 
  • DAZ0273
    In 2019 I don't remember any special CP stores (could be wrong) but there was one in 2018 that had Thor/Black Bolt/OML. So there is past precedent for Holiday/Christmas stores even if there is a 5* release also - we got Kingpin (Spider Verse) in 2018 and he had his own Store also.
  • mpiter
    mpiter Posts: 77 Match Maker
    The 4* and 5* realms are so unbalanced that it is useless to champion any 4* but half a dozen and you have to concentrate on Kitty and BRB in the 5*.  The rest can come after.

In 4*, you first need to raise R&G with 5 yellows and to the maximum level reachable when you have the 5 yellows.  Then, champion Polaris as soon as possible after the 5 R&G yellows.  Then champion Juggernaut, then champion R&G.  You will also need a playable Medusa with around 6 covers to start for niche situations where the opponent brings you constantly down too fast such as Carnage4.  You will not use the rest of the 4*, even championed, because no characters can compete in speed with what you can achieve with the 4 aforementioned 4*.  You however want all not-fully-covered 4* characters to access all nodes.

For example, I have Polaris 454 (the powers, 4 blues, 5 purples, and 4 greens), Jug 341 with a black advantage, R&G 152, and Medusa 222.  PVE SC9 is just a walk with those characters, and in PVP I always easily get my 40 victories or 900 points to get the 4* cover.  Even the current Simulator and the last Cosmic Chaos were easy PVE at SC 9.

I almost always use Polaris + R&G4 for the 3 essential nodes, the same + Jug4 for the 3 high non-essential nodes, and R&G4 + Jug4 + any Guardian of the Galaxy for the 3 low non-essential nodes.  I usually cannot finish the 5* node because it is too hard with that team.

For your question regarding how to use your CP. I only use them on special vaults, or to buy a cover of a 5* I really want, and occasionally but rarely to buy a short-time shield in PVP.  That's it.  As other pointed out, Classic has too low probabilities to try anything there, and I only use Legendary Tokens for the Recent vault not CP.  I just try to have one cover for each new 5* character to access the PVE 5* nodes.

In 5*, you only need Kitty in PVE and PVP up to SC9.  At that level the others 5* cannot shine in comparison to Kitty, even Thanos.  At PVE SC10, you will also need BRB.  So, if I were you, I would not spend any CP now except on special vaults containing Kitty or for a Kitty cover sold for 250 CP.  When she is championed, focus on BRB except if a new future 5* will outshine one of those two.