Fail on Taskmaster non-limited

zonatahunt
zonatahunt Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
So, instead of creating a playable non-limited version of a character everyone likes, they instead choose to make the movie version of Taskmaster an overpriced skin (aren’t they all?).  These are the types of decisions that have frustrated me over the years.  Oh well, a good opportunity gone.

Comments

• Omegased
    Omegased Posts: 594 Critical Contributor
    I'm fine with that. To be fair he's not particularly useful, and I would prefer to see more unique characters. This is the type of decision that I think more would like (fewer multiples of the same character). It's surprising to me though, as this seems like more work. I guess it shows how much money they make from these skins.

• LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,413 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2020
    3500 HP has a going rate of about $24.99USD (give or take).  So, for $5USD you get 3 covers, 3 tokens, 5 CP and the suit.  Now, if you don't ever buy CP then it isn't a great deal at all.  But if you do buy CP now and then, it is not a bad deal.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    I agree that the pricing on the costume is stupidly absurd, that seems to be a lesson the devs are not going to learn, because if they can squeeze a little out of some people, they don't seem to care that they could get more money from more people with smarter prices.

But I digress. A costume for the Taskmaster we have is better than another character, I think, because it is difficult to make a second Taskmaster interesting (especially when they went out of their way to give the first access to a dozen+ abilities). We get few enough characters as it is, and Yelena and Red Guardian were definitely the smart pair to include from the Black Widow movie.
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,769 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm still holding out hope for a 5* TM when the movie releases.  Not necessarily a huge fan here or anything, but I am intrigued to see how they'd follow up the creature they made with the limited 4*.

I could ALMOST SEE a 5* version being like 5* Prof X...  all 3 abilities having like 6 options, and you just pick which one per option.  Of course, they'd be toned down options selected from other existing characters, in order to not make an unholy beast... but I could see it.  

It'd be one of the few ways I could see a person without a single passive power still being relevant in the meta.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,092 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2020
    Here is what I would have done with him as a 5*.
    Passive - No set colour (selectable from 4 Green, Red, Black, Purple) - Set a colour from a choice of 4 and any damage dealt by a colour from an enemy attack is immediately turned back on your assailant with + X damage, scales with levels. Edit: You can only have 1 colour selected per battle and TM still takes damage from the attack.
    Yellow Passive  - Shield block - if Taskmaster is to take X amount of damage, reduce it by y, y scales with levels but X remains static
    Blue 8AP - Taskmaster shows off his skills - this would work along the same lines as 5* Prof X - One arrow attack that stuns, a sword attack that puts down strike tiles, a martial arts move that puts attack tiles, a shield attack which destroys enemy special tiles and a pistol attack that deals heavy damage
  • Captain_Carlman
    Captain_Carlman Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    I think the biggest problem with Taskmaster is that they only show him "thinking" about the move, rather than showing him execute it with the same animation.  I wish I could see him do the "Nuts from Above" animation.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,189 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2020
    JHawkInc said:
    I agree that the pricing on the costume is stupidly absurd, that seems to be a lesson the devs are not going to learn, because if they can squeeze a little out of some people, they don't seem to care that they could get more money from more people with smarter prices.

I take the opposite view. I believe they know exactly what they are doing with the pricing.
    Expensive costumes are like designer shoes/clothes, expensive cars etc. No one needs $1000 Jimmy Choos to wear to dinner or a 200K Ferrari to drive to work. But some want to flaunt what they can afford/have. Expensive costumes are the way to do this. When you come across such a player in PvP you instantly know they are a spender and can venture as to what degree. In the same vein when I view someones roster and see they have 1 or more (I've seen rosters with all 6 at rank 5) infinity stones you know that player has won a versus season at CL 10/9/8/7/6 etc.
    As the legendary George Carlin was fond of saying "It's a BIG CLUB and you ain't in it".
    KGB
  • jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,081 Chairperson of the Boards
    I agree it’s a little expensive, however, it is only $30. That isn’t exactly elite pricing. If my TM weren’t already champed I would have purchased it.

I did in fact purchase the Quake/Karnak bundle with more HP since it netted some champ rewards that I needed more. Partially to show support for the new feature as well, since there doesn’t seem to be any real trade-off with it. I was tempted to grab the TM bundle instead/as well but in reality I almost never use him.

It’s only an opinion...but, if we don’t jump on these bundles when they put work into new features that don’t aim to take away from the player base they will resort back to the old tactic of stingy pull backs. They do have to make money somehow, the extra bundle offers seem indicative of a different and more honest and straightforward approach than some previous efforts.