Questions from a newbie

Options
Speed283
Speed283 Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
When can/should I use red Iso... I don’t see a way to use it yet...have 700K
Also, in forums I have read that you should wait until you have 250+ Sweet/Savory tacos. Is that an accurate statement?
 Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Michael1957
    Michael1957 Posts: 630 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Red ISO is used for supports. When you get a support and a 3* or better character you can equip and upgrade it with the red ISO. I get a support about once every 2 weeks on average it’s not common occurrence. 
       The tacos opinion varies , some wait until 300. I check whats in the vault . A particularly good vault I’ll cash out as early as 150, giving me 50% of it and I usually get what I was going for .
  • Speed283
    Options
    Thanks Michael - I forgot one question..when do I use CP?
  • Speed283
    Options
    Should have added that I am using Karnak with great effectiveness. Should I use CP on him? Right now he has 11,000 strength to start battles.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    No, you will save all your CPs and LTs until:

1) you are deep in 4* land
    2) the Latest 3 5* are really good
    3) if the special CP store has great or meta characters.

And don't use your CP to buy cover directly, unless it's really the best solution for your goal.

The recommended number of CPs or its equivalent is 7500 CP or 300 LT pulls.

How many CPs and LTs do you have now?
  • Mr_F
    Mr_F Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    Options
    When to use CP is hard question and depends on what your roster is, what are your goals etc. Let us see your roster, then we will answer what are best possibilities for ya for CP usage.
  • NemoAbernnigan
    NemoAbernnigan Posts: 188 Tile Toppler
    Options
    A lot of people say to hoard your CP for ages. Personally I would've gotten bored and quit if I was playing for the far future like that. Karnak is one of the best characters in the game, so I would spend the CP on getting him champed, and then start putting it towards getting a good 4* duo buddy for him  champed as well. Getting my Karnak Chavez combo going was a game changer for me, and massively improved my progress rate. It's a personal choice tho. Basically do you want to save for when you're ready to start moving into the 5* land or do you want to use it sometime that is not so far away?
  • itsuka7
    itsuka7 Posts: 106 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Keeping all your cp and LL and save them to get 5* works mostly for players who only want a few strong characters, and do not care about most others. That is fine for pvp, but not so good if you if you play pve and want to get good at that. Pve players need a broad roster with everyone rostered.

So, in the 4* transition and far into 4* land, as a pve player mostly, I used cp to draw classics, any time I had enough hp to roster a new character. It is the best way to roster all 100+ 4* you need for pve, and a lot of the classic 5* as well. The idea is that you slowly raise them to solid levels.
  • interyx
    interyx Posts: 5 Just Dropped In
    Options
    In my opinion at the beginning of the game you should spend all your tacos. You need everything in there too accelerate your progress: iso, covers, HP especially.  The stuff worth hoarding for is: LT (don't touch them if you haven't finished rostering your 4s), 4* covers that you probably don't need if you haven't finished your 3s, and health packs that are pretty useful, but you will get if you're just doing pulls.
    Leave your CP and legendary tokens alone until you've finished rostering your 4s and can pull them all at once (preferably with a nice set of 5s in Latest) so you can kickstart 4* land hopefully with some nice usable 5* characters.

Buying straight covers for CP is not worth it, no matter the tier.  It's wasted on 3* covers and way too expensive on 4* and 5* covers.
  • Loosie
    Loosie Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Some really good advice here. I'd wait on the CP/LT until you have a fair amount of 3 stars and have a roster spot available, and pull until you get a new character, wait and repeat.

I also agree that early on you just want to pull Taco tokens as you get them, the resources you get  early on will be very helpful.
  • AXP_isme
    AXP_isme Posts: 809 Critical Contributor
    Options
    There's lots of advice out there if you search the forums. I find I learn best by doing so my advice would be to do what you like as long as you're enjoying it. I look back on some of the things I did and recognise that I made a lot of mistakes along the way but I enjoy playing the game so I keep playing and I don't beat myself up for getting it wrong. You would go mad trying to min-max MPQ, especially if you're a relative newb, there's just so many characters now after seven years , many of whom are gated behind ridiculous layers of RNG. Just take it for what it is and enjoy the journey. 
  • St_Bernadus
    St_Bernadus Posts: 591 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Early on, the thing you want out of the taco vault is the HP, so I would save until I had 45-50 then hope to pull HP.

Then it became about getting the 4 star/LLT, then you are going to want to have a full 300 tacos.

Now I think of it as a place to get health packs.
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,724 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I've got people in my alliance who've experienced this situation in many different ways.  

There's people like me, who've pulled as I went until I learned how to hoard and why.

There's people that don't know the meaning of "hoard", but are willing to spend cash too.  They usually do fairly well, because if they pull a new character and have no open slot, they just buy the HP.

There's people who just pull as they go, and have no intentions on hoarding, AND don't play with long term goals (i.e. don't play for progression, or for PvP wins, or any real goal).  Those people are usually complaining that they don't have the HP and/or slots.  Go ahead and do the math as to why they don't have those things...

And since I've learned how to hoard, why to hoard, etc... I've converted a few in the alliance to hoard as well, for things that interest them.  They don't necessarily follow MY lead, but they now see the importance, as they've seen my roster evolve for the better.

In the end, I'd say it goes like this:  If you're willing to spend actual money on HP/slots, they go ahead and pull.  The biggest reason any of us have any opinion on this is because many of us don't want to spend money on things that we can grind out for free.

If you are NOT planning on spending money, then I'd save those LTs and CPs, and maybe even Heroics and Mightys, until you have slots ready.  The worst feeling is having a nice juicy new cover, and not having a slot for it... and watching the clock tick down, wondering if you're gonna get the HP to buy a slot in time.  It's happened to many of us... even more-so before saved covers was a thing.  You only wanna pull any tokens if you know that you have a slot for a new person, or that anything you pull from said token(s) won't cost you a new slot (i.e. if you pull an Elite token, and you already have all 2*s and 3*s rostered, then you know that the cover won't be necessarily wasted).

Good luck!
  • FairyBlades52
    FairyBlades52 Posts: 49 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I took the long road before I found the forums. I was a token opener, but my game didn’t really progress until I started hoarding. Getting all the 2 and 3* character farms set up was key.  That’s when I started hoarding taco tokens. Getting those all set up really helped build the HP so i could usually have them on hand if I needed a new slot, or sell off a 2* cover if I really need the slot for a meta character. 
    Now I hoard my CP and LT for special vaults like the last anniversary one, or to chase a meta 5*. I hoard all mighty and heroic tokens if there is a good 4* coming out, like Polaris. 

• shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Honestly I wouldn't spend any cp on leveling up your characters. When I came back to the game I had missed Polaris so I had to roster her and then get covers for her. Mine is now at 274 and I'm about to get two more covers from shards and Shield Sim. So just leave Karnak as your 4* target for shards and you'll get him leveled up in no time.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,165 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I’ve always pulled as I go, and I made it a point to roster all the 4s and 5s first, then went back to making room for 3s and 2s. I spent CP in classic. I always kept a “flex slot” where if roster a single cover of a required character then I’d sell them and roster the next required. As I got the HP for slots I’d just leave them and add another flex slot until eventually I had one of everyone.  I don’t know that I wholeheartedly recommend it - Farming 2 and 3* characters definitely pushes your roster forward faster than raw event rewards can, and I didn’t start doing that for way longer than was good for me. Now I’d recommend rostering all the 2*s and maybe using the flex slot method to roster 3*s. I’m now at the point where I can mostly keep up with champing 5*s before they drop out of latest, only pausing my spend when I have the 5* leaving latest next covered until they get replaced. 
  • Rhipf
    Rhipf Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Or you can take the super long road that I am on.
    I am now in 4* land but I made sure that I had all my 3*'s fully leveled before I champed any of my 4*'s. In fact I even kept all 4* characters at 255 max until the 3*'s were max level. Now I am working on getting all the 4*'s champed before champing any 5*'s. I probably won't wait until all 4's are max level though since it is going to take long enough just to champ all of them. Also, since they are still releasing 4's at some point I will just need to make the plunge into 5* land. This will probably happen if/when I get enough saved covers of meta 5* characters to get them leveled relatively high.
    The only reason that I am doing it this way is because of the way MMR works in PvP.
  • AXP_isme
    AXP_isme Posts: 809 Critical Contributor
    Options
    For PvP it's a good strategy to have a strong stable of characters that are similar levels. It means your MMR is stable, you can benefit from the boost list and have different tools to solve different problems. If you rely on PvE more then it doesn't hurt to have a few characters levelled above everyone else but you will need to lean on them for everything. 

Personally I have a few baby champ 5s but I lean on the same teams over and over again. Lots of them - Doc Ock, archangel, FA cap, IM... - never get used except when they're essential. Horses for courses, really.