Gambit 5 is a hinderance

Wonko33
Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
I’m at the point where I start the node with him having low health so he can die and my other characters can use their powers. This dev team has never been able (or unwilling)  to nerf someone without gelding them. 

Comments

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    To be fair, the first time Gambit was gelded, he was actually gilded and got better for a long while...but in his current state he is actively detrimental to most teams you add him to.
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,413 Chairperson of the Boards
    OMG yes.  My half-Thor nods in agreement.  I totally forgot about Gambit's idiotic "no red can be fired" and quit in frustration.  5Gambit is awful.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,092 Chairperson of the Boards
    As I never ever got a black everybody fires his/her red and purple just fine but that doesn't alter anything being said above. They should at least scrap the Black power blocker - he isn't shaking anything up by being actually able to feed others to do useful stuff.
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    I just partnered him w Hulkoye. Let Gambit eat all the damage while banking the Red he generates. Once he’s gone, start firing iHulk and Okoye Red to finish off whoever is left.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    edited October 2020
    That worked for Clear 1 for me, then clear 2 i switched to BRB/Polaris (3/4/4, lvl 168), and then Clear 3 got the best of me with most teams I could field. I nearly did it with Onslaught/Profe$$or, but once i got down to Onslaught hiding behind inviz against C4ge for like 20 turns, he finally got me with a fiddle faddle. I may attempt Vulture/Hulk at some point after my healthpacks regenerate.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,699 Chairperson of the Boards
    Really wish they'd buff him back to viable. Even back to where he was, the current metas can deal with him. And even though Gambit is my favorite Marvel character, I say this as a guy who sold his Gambit when they offered a nice trade-in. I have 7 whole covers for him, so this would benefit me not at all.
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,203 Chairperson of the Boards
    If funny how they nerf characters then introduce characters later that are way stronger.

At that point, they should revert the old characters. As comparing old to new, its tragic how bad classic 5 stars are from the beginning point of 5 stars.
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,769 Chairperson of the Boards
    I used Apoc with him for the 5* essential.  Obviously, Apoc boosted him up to do some decent damage... half Thor just kept it flowing faster.  I'd fire it off like 2 or 3 times, then there's enough enemy protects on the board from Luke to qualify my Gambit purple to be "worth" casting.  

Worked pretty well.  The 3rd clear?  He died half way through, then Apoc went ham on them.  It all worked out either way.  ...no, my Gambit it NOT champed... maybe like 8 covers...
  • Joe4521
    Joe4521 Posts: 42 Just Dropped In
    That worked for Clear 1 for me, then clear 2 i switched to BRB/Polaris (3/4/4, lvl 168), and then Clear 3 got the best of me with most teams I could field. I nearly did it with Onslaught/Profe$$or, but once i got down to Onslaught hiding behind inviz against C4ge for like 20 turns, he finally got me with a fiddle faddle. I may attempt Vulture/Hulk at some point after my healthpacks regenerate.
    Vulture/iHulk works, just make sure you get rid of Luke Cage first, since Vulture destroys the black protect tiles and that makes it difficult to gather enough black to keep it going.
  • MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    Joe4521 said:
    Vulture/iHulk works, just make sure you get rid of Luke Cage first, since Vulture destroys the black protect tiles and that makes it difficult to gather enough black to keep it going.
    Vulture collects the AP from destroying those black tiles, making it easier to keep going.
  • Joe4521
    Joe4521 Posts: 42 Just Dropped In
    Maybe I'm wrong. I seemed to struggle more than usual to keep it going, so I don't know what was happening.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    Joe4521 said:
    Maybe I'm wrong. I seemed to ystruggle more than usual to keep it going, so I don't know what was happening.
    You definitely save Luke for last. His shields will keep Vulture afloat. 
  • Zalasta
    Zalasta Posts: 285 Mover and Shaker
    I've got 14 champed 5 stars and don't usually have a problem in tier 10, but I came to **** about this mission. Whoever is putting these together is a sadistic ****. I've also noticed the trend in the harder one (green) mission. They seem to consistently use meta teams on these missions including Bishop and Worthy before they were nerfed.  I mean seriously, ****.  
  • Heartbreaksoup
    Heartbreaksoup Posts: 356 Mover and Shaker
    I only have one red and one purple cover for Gambit, and sold off the one black cover I once pulled before I equipped it.  I don't like the power interfering with whoever else is on my team.  I have no illusions about getting many more covers for him, but even if I end up swimming in them, he'll max out at 5 red / 5 purple at level 405 for me.
  • Theghouse
    Theghouse Posts: 331 Mover and Shaker
    I came to the forum just to complain about this exact issue...

I play CL10 PVE and a solo 5* champ Apoc is the anchor of my team. I have a 1/1/1 Gambit for this PVE.  Gambit does nothing useful, limits Apoc's red, and he can only tank purple at best with Apoc so he's not even good at dying to get out of the way.

It's very clear that when he was play tested for his nerf he was only tested as a champ.  The fact that he is a huge detriment to his team when partially covered or under-leveled is a gigantic oversight.  Hopefully with attention brought to the issue it can be addressed...

I'm sure that it would not be the intention for any characters' power to be a direct hindrance compared to not having the power at all.  An actual character fix would take some time, so I've contacted customer service and asked them to delete my black cover so I may still have a shot at completing his 5E nodes in the second half of the Deadpool PVE.

I suppose our only consolation is that with the current dilution of the 5* tier, we won't have this problem again with Gambit as 5E for 2 years?  🤷
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Just popped in to say I did it with Vulture/Hulk, and you definitely leave C4ge for last. You chase black and blue actively, or red if you can’t get either of those, and let Vulture collect the black (he definitely collects it).
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    I finally did 3rd clear with Apox , 1/2 Thor 
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2020
    Borstock said:
    Really wish they'd buff him back to viable. Even back to where he was, the current metas can deal with him. And even though Gambit is my favorite Marvel character, I say this as a guy who sold his Gambit when they offered a nice trade-in. I have 7 whole covers for him, so this would benefit me not at all.
    I would be very curious to see Gambit 2.0 in the current meta.  Strong passive damage from kitty or ih would likely make him a lot easier to handle back in the day.  But he would still be more or less immune to any team that relied on special tiles.  Plus he would remain hard to suppress with that auto ap gen, and his ap suppression would be quite useful.  So I think he might be part of the meta again (For example, old Gambit + BRB + apoc would be pretty nasty to fight, and fast. Heimdall might also be a solid partner for him, tanking multiple colors and making both of gambit's actives that much faster).

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Send him airborne with C5rol or Heimdall.  >:)
  • SolidusMox
    SolidusMox Posts: 35 Just Dropped In
    BRB, Polaris worked well with my 3,1,2  Gambit. Stun Cage fire off Gambits Raging Cagin as needed. Get those shields up. Lost very few HP.