Introducing..... No 5DP

Options
supergarv
supergarv Posts: 408 Mover and Shaker
The first node doesn‘t feature 5DP... IMO, having an event with only 5 nodes, thats a high percentage of content that is basically useless.

The idea of these events is such a great premise, but recently delivered extremely poorly. Either your opponents or your team mates showcase nothing of a character, and even make a new character look/play awful.

I like however how the art look like drawn with MS Paint, this is surely intentional? :)

Comments

• firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Eh, I don't know.  Considering with dilution and RNG, it could take you over a year to fully cover and champ a 5*, it's a good way to show off that experience in microcosm.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The first node of Onslaught's Introducing... doesn't feature him as well. I thought it's too quick to be critical about this event when you played only 1 node. I guess you're not interested in the storyline.

His first node feels like him fighting his inner voice. I'm expecting him to appear in Day 3 node, based on the comic strip.
  • supergarv
    supergarv Posts: 408 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    . I guess you're not interested in the storyline.

His first node feels like him fighting his inner voice. I'm expecting him to appear in Day 3 node, based on the comic strip.
    Quite the opposite. I am a huge proponent of offering a story in this event, but:

- the background art is illegible
    - the intro flavor text yields virtually no story
    - we have these story buttons and slides (see tutorial). Those would be perfect here. 
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,722 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I do agree with the thought that we should get these as "story slides".  In PvE, people skip them because of time constraints in RL, or due to speed for placement rewards... so it's understandable that they are produced less and less in recent new events.  

But for things like these, where this IS NO placement rewards, and there's only a node or two to do... put it in a story slide.  You could elaborate a bit more than that paragraph would allow.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm with the OP. These 'Introducing...' events are often the only exposure many players are going to have of the new character for a very long time. Not only should they actually be in the nodes, it would be nice if the player could control them. Using my own roster to fight 3DP felt like a really odd introduction.

But then again, I'm really happy to have these extra events for new characters so I'm not going to complain too much. For a long time we had nothing like this for new releases.
  • MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 950 Critical Contributor
    Options
    IIRC, samurai Daken's Introducing... event also didn't feature the new character in the first node.
    An easy fight against 3* Deadpool means easy farming for whales teamups.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,618 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Probably the no.1 headscratcher I always had with MPQ was how it failed to actually showcase in game new 5* releases. Hey - 5* Captain Ultra sounds great on paper but can I get a test drive to get excited?!?! That is why over the last year the addition of 5* PvP for new releases and these introducing events made so much sense to me. I do think they should showcase the new character as much as possible though even if the "story" gets short circuited. I guess the Devs maybe got caught up with their own excitement of creating the back story on this one.
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    IIRC, samurai Daken's Introducing... event also didn't feature the new character in the first node.
    *deletes all saved team ups*

Great idea!
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 971 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Does this work on repeat? I was already full in teamups when I first beat him, so didn't get a teamup then.
    Freed up some teamup space and tried 5 times. Not one teamup.
  • Xception81
    Xception81 Posts: 409 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    It does work, but it’s random. I had to play like 20+ times to get 5 or 6 whales. 
  • Dormammu
    Options
    You all know about the whole alliance request thing, right? Just say: whales plz
    Works like a charm.
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 971 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    You all know about the whole alliance request thing, right? Just say: whales plz
    Works like a charm.
    When I ask, and I specifically ask for 3* DP teamups, I usually get teamups quickly, but reading seems to be a forgotten skill and I end up with other teamups. If I somehow get a DP teamup, there's still a chance it isn't a Whales teamup.
  • Xception81
    Options
    Dogface said:
    Dormammu said:
    Works like a charm.
    When I ask, and I specifically ask for 3* DP teamups, I usually get teamups quickly, but reading seems to be a forgotten skill and I end up with other teamups. If I somehow get a DP teamup, there's still a chance it isn't a Whales teamup.
    Agreed. Half the time the in-game chat doesn’t display my message for a few hours. And I’m VERY unlucky with team-ups and get “A Little Off the Top” probably 80% of the time. Definitely nowhere near the 50% it should be. 
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,160 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    Works like a charm.
    Yes we all know. But as Dogface and Xception have mentioned, the in-game chat sucks. Many a time I'm notified of new messages ~4 to 8 hours after they're sent. Whereas requests for Team-Ups are received almost instantaneously, so there's that disconnect.
  • Dormammu
    Options
    4-8 hours? What the tinykitty! That's ridiculous. My alliance must have paid extra to not have messages delayed; I've never had that problem ((shrug)).
  • Michael1957
    Michael1957 Posts: 630 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    4-8 hours? What the tinykitty! That's ridiculous. My alliance must have paid extra to not have messages delayed; I've never had that problem ((shrug)).
    Likewise. We’ve had immediate chat notification for years . I didn’t create the group and the founder is gone so I don’t know how much he paid for instant chat correspondence 
  • Xception81
    Options
    I kinda agree with all that. Like you said, I try not to hard restart the app so I can keep my queues, (unless I’m calling a flip for PvE). But my alliance isn’t really chatty in-game, and still we regularly have super long delays for messages to appear. Not always, but enough that it’s annoying. 

Either way, I farmed enough Whales yesterday that I’m set for a while. But I’m still hoping the next few 4s are better than Negasonic and I won’t need to fall back on them in Shield. Lol
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,722 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Agreed with the "chat delay" comments.  Happens in my alliance as well.... for the same proclaimed "hours" statement.

Strangely enough, it affects some members more than others.  I'll read a short back n forth between a few people, and a couple of comments don't make sense... then a couple hours later, the chat will interject the missing statements from the person who's been a part of it the whole time, but for some reason, I couldn't see them.

Crazy.
  • Theghouse
    Theghouse Posts: 315 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I believe the whole idea of the Introducing event is for story/thematic effect.

The Shield training event revamp was targeted at seeing the character in action.  And now you do get a loaner of the new character, including at high levels and playing against tough opponents.

In this case, the story is that regular old Deadpool goes to eliminate the taco truck guy.  So the first node features regular DP.  After he spares the taco truck guy, mephisto makes him a Rider, hence playing with 5* DP in the next node.

I do agree though that actual story slides instead of just pre-play text to read would be more thematic, but I enjoy it nonetheless.
  • Aweberman
    Aweberman Posts: 428 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Dogface said:
    Dormammu said:
    Works like a charm.
    Agreed. Half the time the in-game chat doesn’t display my message for a few hours. And I’m VERY unlucky with team-ups and get “A Little Off the Top” probably 80% of the time. Definitely nowhere near the 50% it should be. 
    I roster 1 purple cover for Deadpool for just this purpose.  1 cover is all you need for superwhales, and then you never give the red power.