IH underleveling

Vhailorx
Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
edited November 2020 in MPQ General Discussion
It's there a consensus build/level for soft-capping ih?  He is frustrating to use for sustained offense if he tanks too much.  Is there a good balance between having him high enough to be a useful deterrent, but low enough that he rarely makes a match over okoye/DD/heimdall or whoever is tanking for him?

Comments

• helix72
    helix72 Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    I’m on the “iHulk is useful but overrated” train. I think it’s schadenfreude: he’s easily beatable but not without the entire attacking team taking some damage. So it’s like knowing being attacked will take a tax from the attacking team.

That said, I keep mine 20 levels below Okoye. That way, she tanks Black, Red, Yellow, and Team-Up. He tanks Green, Blue, and Purple. Not sure how much of a gap you’d need to have her tank Blue and Purple (comparison below). Since my Okoye is not 470, it also means my iHulk isn’t champed.

Okoye 462 vs iHulk 442:
    Blue: 95 v 102
    Purple: 87 v 95

If all I cared about was PvP defense, I think I’d champ him anyway.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thanks Helix!
    Anyone else have more thoughts on this topic now that we have had several seasons of hulkoye as a major player in the PVP meta?
  • Jexy
    Jexy Posts: 52 Match Maker
    Is he a lot faster champed? Mine's soft capped at 423 so that my relatively weak Okoye mostly tanks. I have him at 5-4-4 with a few saved covers.
  • St_Bernadus
    St_Bernadus Posts: 631 Critical Contributor
    My iHulk is 451 and my Okoye 471 and she tanks red. Actually I think it swapped over at 18 or 19.

But anyway, I do love my iHulk and champed he is a much better scarecrow (plus respeccing is an option). Even when he was tanking red, it still made sense to use him and bad boards were those lacking green rather than those lacking Okoye matches.
  • Jexy
    Jexy Posts: 52 Match Maker
    Yeah I would respec if I champed him but mostly I think he's a bigger scarecrow champed. I certainly skip him most of the time---I can win but I'll take big damage. I have 24 champed 5* so my MMR isn't going to be affected by champing him or not.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2020
    I had experiences with Ihulk tanking red, green, purple and blue. It was tough as almost every match I made result in his losing Hp. It was too Health pack intensive. 

But when Okoye tank red, my experience changed a lot for pvp. I was able to play more matches. And I could chase red to fire Ihulk red or Oko red. 
    So my advice is that if possible, get Oko to at least tank red. You will find it easier.
  • abenness
    abenness Posts: 228 Tile Toppler
    I have left my ihulk softcapped so he only tanks green under Okoye.  Yes, it makes me a bigger target in pvp, and I haven't really noticed any MMR defensive benefits.  But realistically I'm getting hit by rosters that would have no problem beating a champed ihulk team.  For me, it is better for pve to reliably keep Okoye in front and not losing teamup AP.
  • BigSoftieFF
    BigSoftieFF Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    Vhailorx said:
    Thanks Helix!
    Anyone else have more thoughts on this topic now that we have had several seasons of hulkoye as a major player in the PVP meta?
    33 levels is the magic number. My experience with Hulk improved greatly when the only color he continued to tank was green. The number needed is less with Apocalypse as mine is only 27 levels above and tanks all but green.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,411 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2020
    My okyoke is only 5 levels higher than ihulk and I dont have much of a problem with him tanking red and green. It would be nice if she tanked red too but I dont think it would make that much of a difference. The damage mostly come from the mirror match in pvp.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2020
    I think for 99% of cases you want Okoye to tank as many colors as possible, as the damage in this team is mostly coming from Okoye's passive, so the only thing that matters is that iH damages as little as possible the other members of the team. Even for iH red, the difference is minor between 420-450, and greatly offseted by Okoye.

The only reason I would champ is if you dont use him with Okoye (or Apoc). But who uses iH without Okoye (or Apoc) :P 

As of now, I have Okoye at 460 and iH at 420, but I am sure I could level iH a bit more, but this way it also works with my Apoc (he is 457).
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    I started out hoard pull with 550 Okoye and Hulk only overtook her on Red/Black the last few levels (like 547/548 or something). Debated about stopping right there but the broken MMR (in all directions, up down and sideways) made that choice for me.

Although I agree with Helix here: Hulk isn't the 'best', he's just possibly the most annoying to beat the most number of times in a row, due to healthpacks. Thorkoye and BRB made players forget about the good 'ol Panthos days, when buying healthpacks was a thing. It's becoming a thing again.

I have teammates that like the 33 levels of difference but honestly - how often are you not going to have a TU (choice 1) or yellow (choice 2) or red (choice 3) or black (default choice 4) option to match. It's a few more damage on random cascades but it won't happen that often.