Options
2»

Comments

• ElReyFelix
    ElReyFelix Posts: 102 Tile Toppler
    Options
    KGB said:
    pheregas said:
    Is this not a great example of why all new releases should be added to tokens a fixed time after their release like 5 stars are?
    (Other examples include the new releases that hit just after the end of season so have to wait through an entire new season)
    New 4s are always added at the beginning of the next PVP Season.  Been this way for quite some time.  The only issue this time around was that it was an extended off-season due to the upcoming Anniversary season.  And this only happens... Ahem...  Once a year.

Since it's once a year they should time the last character before anniversary to be garbage tier like Emma/Talos/5* Wasp etc. They clearly knew Polaris was going to be good and highly valued and chose to release her at a moment where we'd all have to wait extra long before busting hoards to cover her. If she was a dud no one would care.
    KGB
    They pretty consistently add the latest 4* at the start of the next season. A subset of people were going to hoard to cover Polaris regardless of when she was added to tokens....I don't think waiting a couple weeks before the season starts is going to make them any more $. If anything, there is always hoards broken during anniversary so if they were trying to plan it they would have been better off separating when Polaris was added to tokens from the start of anniversary so that there would be two separate reasons to want to hoard/spend.

Also, if they had added Polaris during the off-season, there would have been people complaining that they broke their routine and may have called it a cash grab. They get criticized either way.
  • St_Bernadus
    St_Bernadus Posts: 591 Critical Contributor
    Options
    pheregas said:
    Is this not a great example of why all new releases should be added to tokens a fixed time after their release like 5 stars are?
    (Other examples include the new releases that hit just after the end of season so have to wait through an entire new season)
    New 4s are always added at the beginning of the next PVP Season.  Been this way for quite some time.  The only issue this time around was that it was an extended off-season due to the upcoming Anniversary season.  And this only happens... Ahem...  Once a year.

Timing of info release may have been delayed, but at least we got it.  (Thanks @LakeStone!) I'd rather have delayed info than none at all.
    I disagree. It is an issue when a new release hits at the end of a season and overlaps the off season so they are not in tokens for the whole of the following season. Or they are added at the beginning and there is about 4 weeks before they are added. Or they are added right at the end of a season and they are added ... one week later. If the system was changed to reflect the way 5s are added, it would be the same delay time for every character and no one would get special treatment.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    On the plus side this extended period of waiting for Polaris has allowed me to amass a pile of Heroic/Mighty tokens. My hoard should net me a tidy sum of her shards on Oct 1st.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,631 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    On the plus side this extended period of waiting for Polaris has allowed me to amass a pile of Heroic/Mighty tokens. My hoard should net me a tidy sum of her shards on Oct 1st.

Likewise, I am well over 100 pulls and rising from Mighty/Heroics.
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,724 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    KGB said:
    pheregas said:

Since it's once a year they should time the last character before anniversary to be garbage tier like Emma/Talos/5* Wasp etc. They clearly knew Polaris was going to be good and highly valued and chose to release her at a moment where we'd all have to wait extra long before busting hoards to cover her. If she was a dud no one would care.
    KGB
    I would rather them NEVER plan a character to be a "dud".  

Nope.  Never.

Why waste valuable time making a bad character that no one wants?  Sure, there are those that like to try to find a combo for everything (you know who you are!), but in the end, majority of your audience wants a character that offers something strong OR unique enough to include them amongst their everyday picks.

Soooooo -- no.  Never PLAN on making a dud.  Just no.
  • Michael1957
    Michael1957 Posts: 630 Critical Contributor
    Options
    PiMacleod said:
    KGB said:
    pheregas said:

KGB

Nope.  Never.

Why waste valuable time making a bad character that no one wants?  Sure, there are those that like to try to find a combo for everything (you know who you are!), but in the end, majority of your audience wants a character that offers something strong OR unique enough to include them amongst their everyday picks.

Regrettably many players play primarily to collect a complete set , so this probably won’t ever stop . If you were a musician and your groupies bought every song you made no matter how bad it was , what incentive does that give you to even produce a decent song ? 
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I know the OP meant 'next' in the title, but just out of curiosity I searched to see if there was a Marvel creation of some sort called Nest. It turns out there is - 

Nest (Nevada) | Marvel Database | Fandom
    The Nest was a hive of top-secret government activity stuck away in the no-man's land of the Nevada Desert's Pahute Mesa. It was destroyed in a nuclear explosion when an earthquake de-stabilized the experimental nuclear pile

Sounds like a great place to fight some HAMMER/AIM troops!
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,724 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    PiMacleod said:
    KGB said:
    pheregas said:

KGB

Nope.  Never.

Regrettably many players play primarily to collect a complete set , so this probably won’t ever stop . If you were a musician and your groupies bought every song you made no matter how bad it was , what incentive does that give you to even produce a decent song ? 
    I would hope "pride".  Yeah, it's one of the 7 sins... but I think it has it's place.

Also, unlike in music, you can nerf/buff a character.  You make a mistake -- you can fix it later.  Games are notorious for patching.  MPQ does it too (either heavy-handedly (Gambit, Bishop), or gently (Thing, TAHulk)).  

In music, they just call it a remix.  The original still exists, so now you got two versions of the same thing.  Although, there HAVE been a few instances where a song gets a couple words/chords changed, and the old version of the song isn't available to download/buy any longer.  Kinda rare.  Especially since you can't just force everyone who has the old version to delete/destroy what they have already.

I understand your point.  I would just hope that the developers for this team are more like us -- dedicated to the product.  We want to see it thrive with great content.  I would hope that there isn't anyone on that team who's just "working 9-to-5, waiting for his shift to end".  There are those of us who would love such an opportunity.  It might not seem like much to some people, but to others, its a dream job.
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    Here is the thing though - MPQ isn't really like an artist creating an original song - it is more like an artist doing a cover version. Sure, you put your own spin on it but the song isn't yours and you can't really change the lyrics, just interpret it in your own style. The Devs have to work with an existing IP, they have to be true and represent that IP as best they can AND make it fit within the framework of the game. It must be incredibly tricky in trying to get that balance. Sometimes it works, maybe sometimes it doesn't. Polaris is a pretty easy design for MPQ, not all characters will be though. Look at Okoye - that is a character I would suggest that Marvel let The Devs take absolute liberties with because her abilities are pretty limited in terms of being distinctive. Spider-Man on the other hand - webs. swinging, proportionate strength, spider sense, etc, it is an easy to follow footpath, so your cover version isn't too far removed from the original instead of being a Scissor Sisters Pink Floyd number.
  • Dormammu
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
     The Devs have to work with an existing IP, they have to be true and represent that IP as best they can AND make it fit within the framework of the game. It must be incredibly tricky in trying to get that balance. Sometimes it works, maybe sometimes it doesn't. Polaris is a pretty easy design for MPQ, not all characters will be though. Look at Okoye - that is a character I would suggest that Marvel let The Devs take absolute liberties with because her abilities are pretty limited in terms of being distinctive.
    I think Okoye's abilities perfectly fit her character. She's a guard/soldier there to support her king and help him better do his job - to back him up. Centering her around team-up tiles and improving those around her is kind of what Okoye is all about. Plus, she has a big spear and will throw it at you.
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    DAZ0273 said:
     The Devs have to work with an existing IP, they have to be true and represent that IP as best they can AND make it fit within the framework of the game. It must be incredibly tricky in trying to get that balance. Sometimes it works, maybe sometimes it doesn't. Polaris is a pretty easy design for MPQ, not all characters will be though. Look at Okoye - that is a character I would suggest that Marvel let The Devs take absolute liberties with because her abilities are pretty limited in terms of being distinctive.
    I think Okoye's abilities perfectly fit her character. She's a guard/soldier there to support her king and help him better do his job - to back him up. Centering her around team-up tiles and improving those around her is kind of what Okoye is all about. Plus, she has a big spear and will throw it at you.
    I would argue that a central tenet of Okoye making a meta pairing was her true healing which as much as you can try and thematically squeeze it (she is up front protecting her king), is a pretty far reach for me. Protect shields I could have bought into but she is human otherwise. 
  • liminal_lad
    liminal_lad Posts: 461 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    PuceMoose said:
    I know the OP meant 'next' in the title, but just out of curiosity I searched to see if there was a Marvel creation of some sort called Nest. It turns out there is - 

Nest (Nevada) | Marvel Database | Fandom
    The Nest was a hive of top-secret government activity stuck away in the no-man's land of the Nevada Desert's Pahute Mesa. It was destroyed in a nuclear explosion when an earthquake de-stabilized the experimental nuclear pile

Sounds like a great place to fight some HAMMER/AIM troops!
    The OP is a terrible typist but agrees that the Nest should feature the next time there's a new event. :)
  • Dormammu
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    I would argue that a central tenet of Okoye making a meta pairing was her true healing which as much as you can try and thematically squeeze it (she is up front protecting her king), is a pretty far reach for me. Protect shields I could have bought into but she is human otherwise. 
    Eh, there are others in MPQ who heal and don't have 'healing factors' or whatnot in their comic personas. 3-star Hawkeye comes to mind. Sometimes 'healing' is there to represent how tough a character is, and Okoye was represented (in the Black Panther movie) as one bad tinykitty, especially with her attitude and perseverance. It's a reflection of their second effort.

But I won't argue that her healing is a big factor in how awesome she is. What are you gonna do? She's the best character in the game. Someone has to have the crown.
  • DAZ0273
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    Eh, there are others in MPQ who heal and don't have 'healing factors' or whatnot in their comic personas. 3-star Hawkeye comes to mind. Sometimes 'healing' is there to represent how tough a character is, and Okoye was represented (in the Black Panther movie) as one bad tinykitty, especially with her attitude and perseverance. It's a reflection of their second effort.

But I won't argue that her healing is a big factor in how awesome she is. What are you gonna do? She's the best character in the game. Someone has to have the crown.
    Hey Hawkeye has a plaster on his head! Obvious healing! 😁