Another Wolverine?

Options
palenoue
palenoue Posts: 63 Match Maker
Cap'n, the game engines canna take any more.
Damnit Scotty, I need more Wolverines!

What is d3's obsession with Wolverine?  Do we need to stage an intervention?  We're still waiting for Stan Lee to be introduced to the game, not to mention all the other characters d3 could have brought in: the Power Pack, Wonder Man, Cosmo, J. Jonah Jameson, Stilt Man, Batroc, Throg, Aunt May, Lady Stilt Man, Leap-Frog, etc.  Sure, they're not all worthy of 5 stars, but why not create adventures/battles/competitions limited to one and two star characters who are maxed out and long forgotten?

Anything but yet another Wolverine!

Comments

• krakenoon
    krakenoon Posts: 355 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Just wait for the 5* X-23!
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Aunt May?

What's her passive? As she waits around for Peter to deliver her medication, everyone worries to death?
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    He's a marquee character in the Marvel stable almost as iconic (somehow) as Batman is for DC.
    Iconic heroes are most likely to draw in new players, even in weird situations where it's Daken who I'd imagine few people casually know about at all.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,166 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Aunt May and JJJ shouldn't be in this game other than as a support. 

Sorry if this offends anyone 

I agree with Aunt May, but JJJ once faced down Godzilla. If JJ can destroy galactus by taking compromising photos, just think of all the damage JJJ could do if he published them?
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,309 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    jackstar0 said:
    He's a marquee character in the Marvel stable almost as iconic (somehow) as Batman is for DC.
    Iconic heroes are most likely to draw in new players, even in weird situations where it's Daken who I'd imagine few people casually know about at all.
    Wolverine is somewhat old hat nowadays, but back when he was introduced he was really something different.  Other heroes punched you; this guy had knives in his hands and you did not want to mess with him.  Add in the mysterious past; the conflict between his berserker side and trying to be civilized....he's a really great character to add to a mix of otherwise upstanding heroes and see what happens.  A character that just used his claws whenever he wanted to?  Not nearly as interesting.  Personality wise, he speaks to everyone who has struggled to control their anger when they just want to cut loose.

There's a reason he's the only X-man who managed to have an ongoing series that lasted and lasted and lasted.

The cartoon, of course, helped a lot. And Hugh Jackman brought him to fantastic life.  I realize every character has fans and detractors, but Wolverine's popularity is easily understandable to me.

----

Did/does MPQ need another Wolverine? Technically he's Daken...I'm fine with it overall.  The game keeps adding characters so there's a good chance we'll see some of the other requested ones eventually.  My biggest issue with Old Man Daken is I can't see much reason to use him.  
  • LucasRaven
    LucasRaven Posts: 47 Just Dropped In
    Options
    palenoue said:

What is d3's obsession with Wolverine?  Do we need to stage an intervention?  We're still waiting for Stan Lee to be introduced to the game, not to mention all the other characters d3 could have brought in: the Power Pack, Wonder Man, Cosmo, J. Jonah Jameson, Stilt Man, Batroc, Throg, Aunt May, Lady Stilt Man, Leap-Frog, etc.  Sure, they're not all worthy of 5 stars, but why not create adventures/battles/competitions limited to one and two star characters who are maxed out and long forgotten?

The thing is that everybody knows Wolverine, and not a lot know the names you mentioned. 
    Also, no, we're not waiting for Stan Lee as a character. 
  • abmoraz
    abmoraz Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    Options
    palenoue said:

Don't let the fact that he's Daken hurt your argument.
    It's not like we have nearly a dozen spiders between Peter (x6), Ham, Miles, Gwen, O'hara, and Jessica and all their variants
    8 different Captain Americas (Steve (x5), Peggy, Sam(x2))
    Multiple Hulks (Banner(4), Jen, Cho)
    Iron men (Tony (5), Riri)
    and more, but I'm bored of listing them.

Though, I agree with you.  Looking at the skill-set of the new "Wolverine", they could've just as easily made him the Silver Samurai instead and at least had something that feigned being different.
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    Aunt May?

What's her passive? As she waits around for Peter to deliver her medication, everyone worries to death?
    Like a Hole in the Head, Yellow
    Both teams sustain three random stuns if more than one teamup tile is on the board.
  • palenoue
    Options
    Good points, IceIX.  I can understand having multiple versions of Cap, Iron Man, Spidey, et al, due to so many different movies coming out, but after a while it comes down to "This character _AGAIN_? *Sheesh*"  Samurai Wolverine just happened to be the action figure that broke the bookcase.

You've done such a good job bringing in a wide variety of characters that when you repeat one who has so many slightly-different versions it's like a missed opportunity.  Sure, everybody knows Wolverine, but how many new players know the Power Pack?  A friend never knew who Howard the Duck was until he played this game, now Howard is one of his favorite characters.  You have an opportunity to introduce new players to historic Marvel characters.

As for J. John Jameson and the rest, you could bring them in as one star characters and use them in your "story" adventures.  Consider right now in most stories the first three fights are annoyingly easy when you put 200+ level characters against level 23 opponents.  You could limit those way-too-easy fights to level ones and twos, much like you do with the Deadpool Dailies.

And as for Aunt May, passive ability #1: when an opponent harms May they feel so guilty they can't use that ability against her again for the rest of the match.  Ability #2: May needs her meds, a random Spider-person appears to attack opponent.

Finally, just want to say I really like your new "Introducing" stories.  Good job!
  • jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,069 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I happen to love Wolvie and welcome any new addition. However, I would vastly prefer X-23 or the real deal in some iteration that doesn’t suck. 

OML needs a rework. Just start the battle with him already “transformed” and restore his healing. That should do. Yeah, I know it won’t happen, but it’s nice to dream.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I like the new Wolverine. I mean, now that Disney owns both properties it was only a matter of time before Marvel and Star Wars crossed-over. Besides, what could be more bad-@$$ than Logan with a Sith Lightsaber???
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2020
    Options
    If Ultraman can make it into Marvel, I don't see why Star Wars won't happen.  B)

He's coming to Marvel in the second week of September this year.

https://www.marvel.com/comics/issue/88686/the_rise_of_ultraman_2020_1
  • palenoue
    Options
    If you look at it that way, they could add Pixar characters because they are also owned by Disney.  I'd like to make a team of Russel, Remy and Jack Jack.
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,313 Site Admin
    Options
    palenoue said:

You've done such a good job bringing in a wide variety of characters that when you repeat one who has so many slightly-different versions it's like a missed opportunity.  Sure, everybody knows Wolverine, but how many new players know the Power Pack?  A friend never knew who Howard the Duck was until he played this game, now Howard is one of his favorite characters.  You have an opportunity to introduce new players to historic Marvel characters.

I mean, sure, but we've been releasing brand new characters regularly lately. 
    Apocalypse
    Hellcat
    Onslaught
    (maybe?) Anti-Venom
    Legion
    Misty Knight
    (not) Samurai Daken
    Polaris

Out of the those 8, we've got 6 brand news and 2 incarnations with Daken and Anti-Venom. That's a good 75% brand new characters, and we've got more of those new ones coming up too.

As for Star Wars/Disney/Pixar, would love to. I'm imagining a new Versus Event: Throwing Contest. Features Tron, Bullseye, and Darth Vader.
  • krakenoon
    krakenoon Posts: 355 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I would love to see Vader in game. Also interested in cool artwork for Tron & co. with the new UI elements.
  • Theghouse
    Theghouse Posts: 315 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    IceIX said:

As for Star Wars/Disney/Pixar, would love to. I'm imagining a new Versus Event: Throwing Contest. Features Tron, Bullseye, and Darth Vader.
    I'm sure you meant Bullseye from the Marvel universe, but when I first read it I imagined Bullseye the horse from Toy Story lol.
  • jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,069 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I’m probably not in much company with this but I emphatically disagree that Disney/Pixar/Star Wars would be a good add. 

Man, I hope that is just a pipe dream. It just sounds so terribly corny.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,309 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    jp1 said:
    I’m probably not in much company with this but I emphatically disagree that Disney/Pixar/Star Wars would be a good add. 

Man, I hope that is just a pipe dream. It just sounds so terribly corny.
    I wouldn't worry as far as MPQ.

Maybe someday, there will be a DPQ (Disney Puzzle Quest) pulling all the most popular characters into one crazy mashup game ala Kingdom Hearts etc.