Champ Immortal Hulk or keep under leveled ?

tonypq
tonypq Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
For those who have Immortal Hulk, did you champ him or leave him under leveled?

Anyone who champed him, are you glad you did or do you wish you kept him lower level ?

I have my Hulk 5/3/5 at level 410, he also has 7 saved covers. He's been a great addition to my roster, my higher leveled 5s tank his colors in most setups or he's left just to tank one color. He's been great for SCL 10 and PVP/PVE in general. 

I was curious for those who've champed him what your experiences have been. If you're glad you champed him or if you wished you kept him at lower levels. Obviously I know champed he makes you burn through health packs. However he must be pretty insane champed and also when boosted. 

When I broke a horde couple months ago I kept getting Hulk duplicates, I've never had a 5* where I ended up with 7 champ covers. Figures for me it has to be Immortal Hulk who seems like many of us are purposely keeping under leveled heh. But I started thinking if there is a bigger benefit for me champing Hulk and applying the 7 bonus covers, of if I'd kick myself for doing so.

Seems like he'd make a great scarecrow champed with 7 extra levels for PVP. I usually only PVP SCL 8 to quickly get the first CP reward, but a lot of that is because I've never had a high level Kitty, Okoye, or Thor. Wasn't sure if boosting Hulk might help and make me want to PVP further for more rewards or make things easier when facing tougher teams. If that is worth the destruction he'd cause to my team in any PVE/PVP events. 

My highest 5*s are all level 450ish. I have BRB, Prof, Apocalypse, GED, Hela, Captain  Marvel, Hulk level 410 5/3/5. Also have OML and Black Panther at 12 covers. My Okoye is 2/0/1, Kitty 4/4/0, Thor 1/1/1.

Comments

• BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 1,231 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have him champed at lvl 465 and he hasn't been a problem to use for me.  Even though it would be better if my okoye was higher than him so that she tanks red and black over him it's never really been terribly noticeable except when he was still in latest and he was the featured 5 star. 

He was an absolute nightmare to have to use in the 5e node, but now that he's in classics that's not often an issue.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have him champed at lvl 465 and he hasn't been a problem to use for me.  Even though it would be better if my okoye was higher than him so that she tanks red and black over him it's never really been terribly noticeable except when he was still in latest and he was the featured 5 star. 

He was an absolute nightmare to have to use in the 5e node, but now that he's in classics that's not often an issue.
    What does the rest of your rsoter look like?  Do you have a deep roster of 5* baby champs to play with him, so healthpack pressure isn't as big a problem for you?  Or do you just run him with okoye and vulture?
  • BriMan2222
    edited August 2020
    Vhailorx said:

What does the rest of your rsoter look like?  Do you have a deep roster of 5* baby champs to play with him, so healthpack pressure isn't as big a problem for you?  Or do you just run him with okoye and vulture?
    I have about 20 5 stars champed, most between 450 to 460ish.  My highest is Apocolypse at 471. I usually run him with okoye and either vulture as a third of Yelena, since her passive can stop enemies with expensive nukes and okoye boost the damage for that as well.

OJSP said:
    But, you have Okoye ready and you have more 5*s who could do more for you if you want to stop using Hulk. The third character could tank some colours too. Considering the 5*s tonypq have, the most sensible pairing would be Apocalypse because he’s similar to Okoye, where he could boost the passive damage and speed up the match. Okoye is more sustainable because she heals herself (although sometimes the match could end before she could heal).
    Okoye is probably best but apacolypse works well too, no healing (other than his black if you have no sheilds out) but he has lots of health.  Vulture makes a great third or Karolina dean can work as well.  As long as someone can stay airborne you can't lose.
  • BriMan2222
    I should also add, that while there are definitely situations where I want to keep okoye in front so that I don't burn team up there are also times where the ai has enough ap to fire a nuke or a goon countdown is about to reach zero and whoever is in front is gonna die.  In those situations I'm glad that hulk tanks enough colors that I can put him in front to take the hit.  So there are both pro's and con's to him tanking more colors.
  • jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,081 Chairperson of the Boards
    I champed mine. He is one of my lowest champs at 452 so I have options for tanking if I want them. I like to be able to spec him differently for different situations.

Additionally, supports can make Okoye tank red over him, at least for me since she has a few levels on him.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    I champed mine; I use him now to grind down Gladiathor to 50%, then i switch to Okoye/Apocalypse/Thor and cruise through the rest of PVE. Apocalypse tanks most of his colors for me if he hasn't died yet, so it's easy enough to run him with Hulk too.
  • tonypq
    I was looking at Hulks details page for his AP values at 450, looks my 451 Apocalypse would tank black and red with no issues, even after adding the 7 saved covers if I champed Hulk. Hulks green at 450+ is higher than anyone else on my roster and he'd have to tank green if I champed him.

I remeber now I only leveled Hulk to 410 at the time because I didn't want his black higher than 5Profs heh. I was primarily using BRB/Prof at the time and wanted to use Hulk with them, so level 410 is about where I had to stop so he only had to tank red with them. I didn't have a champed Apoc at the time.

But I see now with champed Apoc comfortably tanking red/black and a good partner for Hulk, my ideal team would be Apoc/Hulk and whoever else I use Hulk would have to tank green no matter what. When Hulk is boosted even at level 410 that I have him, he ends up tanking all his colors.

So I guess it doesn't matter much if I champ Hulk now that I have a champed Apoc to tank red/black. Only benefit keeping him at 410 I guess would be to use him with 5s that don't synergize as well. Like I did with Prof for a while or someone like Hela/Doom where Hulks colors would be higher than theirs unless I kept him under leveled. With  Apoc who I'd always team Hulk with, it seems a lot more beneficial to champ Hulk at this point unless I'm missing something. 

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2020
    Remember that hulk's match damage increases with each of his first several resurrections.  So unless you intend to keep him from dying ever, having some slack between him and the characters you want to tank for him is probably a good idea.
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,157 Chairperson of the Boards
    I should also add, that while there are definitely situations where I want to keep okoye in front so that I don't burn team up there are also times where the ai has enough ap to fire a nuke or a goon countdown is about to reach zero and whoever is in front is gonna die.  In those situations I'm glad that hulk tanks enough colors that I can put him in front to take the hit.  So there are both pro's and con's to him tanking more colors.
    Yep.  iHulk is tied for my highest level character at LVL 459, so he tanks a lot of colors no matter who I use him with.  That's great when the enemy has a 70K nuke coming your way.  (I'm looking at you, SCL10 Green Goblin!)  Put him in front, and he comes right back again.

I generally team him with Okoye and 5-star Daredevil.  Barring a particularly brutal enemy cascade one of the few times he's in front (or an enemy AoE for 26K+) Daredevil will heal up enough that iHulk's damage won't kill him.  Daredevil can also stun, and has an outlet for green AP that is also boosted by Okoye's passive.  When Okoye gets too beaten up, I switch to Thorkoye for a match, get lots of yellow to heal her up, and then send iHulk back into the game.

For you, OML might make a good replacement since he heals up regularly and has lots of covers.  Same with GED and his healing, depending on the enemy team.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    For now I think it is safest to keep him around 420. This way even Okoye should tank both red and black.

if in the future a new char gets released that requires a atronger Hulk then I will champ him, but for now, these 30 levels they don’t actually help in any way Hulk (most of his damage comes from buffing from Okoye or Apoc so the little extra damage doesn’t add that much)
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Those 7 covers could do a lot of harm. 
    But Ihulk is a scarecrow only with allies stronger than him.
    So I suggest you to focus on a really strong char until having a lot more saved covers than him.
    Then I would champ Ihulk without doubt in your case.
  • tonypq
    Vhailorx said:
    Remember that hulk's match damage increases with each of his first several resurrections.  So unless you intend to keep him from dying ever, having some slack between him and the characters you want to tank for him are a bit bigger.
    Yikes how could I forget about that heh, thanks for the reminder. Wish these 7 saved covers were for BrB instead lol.
  • Michael1957
    Michael1957 Posts: 630 Critical Contributor
    I keep him just below my champed Okoye and it’s great , he rarely dies before a match is ended anyway 
  • BigSoftieFF
    BigSoftieFF Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    Okoye tanking red an black is helpful but it really changes when she tanks purple and blue as well.
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    edited August 2020
    I champed mine; I use him now to grind down Gladiathor to 50%, then i switch to Okoye/Apocalypse/Thor and cruise through the rest of PVE. Apocalypse tanks most of his colors for me if he hasn't died yet, so it's easy enough to run him with Hulk too.
    Thanks, @ThaRoadWarrior! Much appreciated for the team tip. Recently champed Apocalypse and needed this idea badly...

Back on topic: I'm a baby-champ 5* player. I champed IHulk and he's been great. Certainly he burns through some health packs, but not anything that makes him not worth what he has brought me in life-altering gameplay, which is, pun intended, pretty monster...
  • Glockoma
    Glockoma Posts: 555 Critical Contributor
    Champ ‘em. You won’t really look back at a screw up: 2 reasons.

1) Power creep; he’ll inevitably be out-matched. Apoc already covers 2/3 of his colors. Just wait for nearly ANY primary green user from now.
    2) Winfinite; pair him, (3/5/5), with Vulture, (And+2 black ap), and take down ANY team. Seriously, as long as you keep scoring a random black match every once in a while you’ll keep Vulture afloat, be doing like 20-30k match damage, and passively building your nuke (+1 red each turn). You’ll need as much health to cushion iHulk as you can to begin.

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,728 Chairperson of the Boards
    Champing him as a scarecrow could have some merit, but he's best with Okoye where the team is somewhat idiot-proof (TU is going to be collected in many matches and start ramping up the AOE).

With Apocalypse, it could work but the AI will need to chase yellow and put it out before the AOE is getting extra painful.  This is also dependent on the other essential in pick-2 (do they also have an active yellow?  etc).

That said, the more dmg the better and unlocking those pulls/champ levels would be helpful for maybe pulling MORE Apocalypse while he is in Latests (I'd recommend going all in on Apocalypse despite the hope that maybe you can pull Okoye at Anniversary, although you didn't say how many pulls you have etc).

Also, depending on other, newer 5s to tank is not necessarily the best option.  It's certainly very possible, but you never really know.

• Glockoma
    Glockoma Posts: 555 Critical Contributor
    The pattern has been baked into the cake for years upon years now. Power creep happens. I would bet for it before I ever bet against it.

Ultimately, the OP would just have to decide whether pvp or pve is more important and iHulk is apart of the meta in both. I would have to agree that one slightly underleved iHulk is better for climbing purposes behind an Okoye, although on defense it won’t matter much.

But to get full value out of pve, I see nothing wrong with champing him to garner a great winfinite team. 

To each his own for sure, but you’ll never regret a champed iHulk. You just adapt and move on.