Infinite Loop - Chandra's Pyreling / Bolrac-Clan Crusher [Fixed]

Options
boopers
boopers Posts: 175 Tile Toppler
@Oktagon_Support

I've run into this combo three times tonight.  Both cards are uncommon, so it's super easy to reproduce. 

If you have Crusher and Pyreling out:

1) Cause direct damage with anything (this isn't hard)
2) Pyreling buffs
3) Crusher deals 2 damage
4) Pyreling buffs... rinse and repeat.

This is very similar to the old Naru two card combo that drove us nuts for so long... except... it's two uncommon cards instead of a a mythic + Rare.  Waaaaay worse.  You really need to escalate this and patch it pronto.  I predict this is going to blow up this weekend.  Both those cards are now legal to use in WAR events.  I hope I'm wrong though.

Comments

• soultwist
    soultwist Posts: 325 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    This isn't a infinite loop though, because you die, right?
  • ambrosio191
    ambrosio191 Posts: 302 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Bolrac-Clan Crusher deals 2 damage to your opponents planeswalker (this is noncombat damage) whenever a creature you control gets buffed.  Chandra's Pyreling gets +2/+0 and doublestrike whenever you deal noncombat damage to your opponent's planeswalker (i.e. gets buffed when you deal noncombat damage).  This appears to be an infinite loop that damages your opponent, not you.

• soultwist
    edited August 2020
    Options
    I think boopers was implying that its looping when its cast AGAINST him, but your correct in that it works for both sides

Edited to add:  It can't be an infinite loop if one side wins
  • ambrosio191
    ambrosio191 Posts: 302 Mover and Shaker
    Options
     Whether you are the one to cast the two creatures and start it, or greg casts the two creatures and starts it, the opponent of the loop is going to die.  You are correct in that it's not infinite since someone will die, unlike some loops that have no win condition and thus are infinite. 
    This does have the potential to dominate decks and turn placement rewards into who faced this type of deck the least amount, instead of who completed the objectives the most. Afterall, it can be done with just 2 uncommons and the base chandra Planeswalker.
  • boopers
    Options
    I consider an infinite loop a repeating set of identical triggers that will go on indefinitely without the match ending or LPS stopping it. 

Not the same as a casting loop where there is a lot of new cards played to produce a looping effect. Some of those will go on and on... but could possibly stop on their own given the right conditions. 

This is two triggers that just repeat without any cards being cast. Infinite loop. 
  • jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Yeah, not an infinite loop. More of an “oops I win right now” loop that’s insanely easy to compile. 

I guess, from a highly semantic standpoint, it would be infinite if you have Prevent Damage. Otherwise, you just lose. 
  • Opperstamper
    Opperstamper Posts: 151 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Instead of discussing the word infinite, can we look at the combo instead? It's insane and super easy to deploy. Just like the superpowered bugs (remember Labyrinth?), there's a good chance this will be played in a very high % of decks. 
  • Muhhh
    Muhhh Posts: 66 Match Maker
    Options
    Yeah, this is a huge issue. I just recreated this combo after getting stomped by it and won on turn 2. There will be problems until this is fixed. 
  • TheHunter
    TheHunter Posts: 293 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Can't believe people are on here arguing about the word infinite. I had a go at this loop and it's a pretty slow (jab, jab, jab, x 50) but certain death for any opponent and certainly needs fixing. It triggers the loop prevention system, which is infinitely-loopy enough for me.
  • Avahad
    Avahad Posts: 296 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    yeah- this needs fixing. Training grounds are becoming whoever hits the 2 cards first.
     I DID wonder why so many people were using Bolrac..... but now I’ve seen it properly it’s obvious. 
  • Horadrim
    Horadrim Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Xucachris said:
    Can't believe people are on here arguing about the word infinite. I had a go at this loop and it's a pretty slow (jab, jab, jab, x 50) but certain death for any opponent and certainly needs fixing. It triggers the loop prevention system, which is infinitely-loopy enough for me.
    You can actually stop the loop once it hits the LPS and the pyreling can still finish off the AI with enough power if it's a PVP.
  • Horadrim
    Options
    I added fathom mage into the combo though.
  • Horadrim
    Options
    Btw, I don't think it's a bug. But I agree that they have to modify the Crusher.
  • jtwood
    Options
    Play Razia and let people kill themselves
  • Magic:PQ Support Team
    Magic:PQ Support Team ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 3,338 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Thank you for the feedback!
    This matter is now under analysis.
  • jtwood
    Options
    Avahad said:
    yeah- this needs fixing. Training grounds are becoming whoever hits the 2 cards first.
     I DID wonder why so many people were using Bolrac..... but now I’ve seen it properly it’s obvious. 
    I have played a half dozen games in TG today and haven't even sniffed this combo yet :(
  • soultwist
    Options
    but how many played orbs of warding?   :D:D
  • boopers
    Options
    I lost a match in the WAR event to this combo, and avoided another by chance. Here is hoping for a quick patch. 
  • jtwood
    Options
    soultwist said:
    but how many played orbs of warding?   :D:D

Hopefully, no one. Yeesh.