Dat Required Character (In-Character)

Options
2»

Comments

• Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Today's (8/29/20) required character is... Captain Marvel!

Being something of a cosmic character (at times) I put Carol with a couple people she might run into flying around in outer space or visiting other planets. I chose Nova (though I actually have no idea what planet the MPQ version is from) and Silver Surfer (drastically under-covered and under-leveled). Nova did all the work here and it was a terrible team, proving that being in-character doesn't often translate into in-game effectiveness.
  • Dormammu
    Options
    Today's (8/30/20) required character is... Colossus!

Today was an easy one - I put Peter with his ex-girlfriend (Kitty) and his sorcerer sister (Illyana). This trio made a decent team, and it amused me when I had Colossus throw his sister and have her cast red. The sword animation she does fits the Fastball Special quite nicely.
  • Dormammu
    Options
    Today's (8/31/20) required character is... Cyclops!

Mutant revolutionary. Ever notice how any mutant who doesn't toe the Xavier-line and join his school/team gets a label like 'revolutionary' or 'extremist'? (The X-Men are kind of snooty that way.) But oddly enough that's what this version of Cyclops was as he found himself hanging out with Magneto and at odds philosophically with his former teammates. So who might a mutant revolutionary run into while hanging out on the fringe with a bunch of extremists?

Why, Polaris and Domino of course!

Yep, today gave me the opportunity to get my shiny new Polaris into battle. Not that she was going to be much help with only 3 covers, but what the heck. Cyclops is arguably one of the best 3-stars and with a pseudo-feeder like Domino behind him putting lots of black on the board, he can handle anything. (He has great animations, too.)
  • Dormammu
    Options
    Today's (9/3/20) required character is... Deadpool!

(Not sure what happened there, but after a couple days of characters I have already done we are back on track.)

When I was just a little Dormammu (like my profile pic) I rabidly snatched up anything X-related from my local comics shop. My allowance was pretty much dedicated to Spider-Man and mutants. So when Deadpool first appeared in New Mutants #98 I bought it right off the shelf. Who knew that nearly 30 years later I'd have someone offer me a thousand dollars for it. (No,I didn't take it, so there it sits in my garage in a box along with all my other childhood investments.)

So who might everyone's favorite merc-with-the-mouth run into in the pages of his own book? Nearly anyone, I decided. So today I honored the crazy comedic traditions of Deadpool's 4th wall-breaking comic and teamed him up with Gwenpool and Howard the Duck! Crazy antics ensued and soon there were whales, ducks, and 'splosions everywhere.
  • Dormammu
    Options
    Today's (9/4/20) required character is... Dr. Doom!

DC fans can say what they want about Luthor, Darkseid, and even the Joker, but in my opinion Dr. Doom is the best villain in all of comics. If you ever want to read a great Dr. Doom story, take a look at Jim Shooter's original Secret Wars. This is classic Doom. As a group of heroes and villains are summoned to the Beyonder's Battleworld to fight it out and win the prize, Doom decides he's not going to play that game for the Beyonder's scraps. Nope. Instead, he hatches a plan to steal Galactus' power and then use it to take on the Beyonder and gain infinite power. This guy isn't just satisfied with being the supreme dictator of his own nation... he wants it all.

The obvious pairing in today's DDQ was to put Victor with some fellow villains, but Von Doom isn't the type to work with other major bad guys. He's too egotistical and vain to be equals or partners. He'd want to manipulate the situation and be in control behind the scenes. So who are a couple of villains in MPQ that Doom might use as puppets?

I went with Taskmaster and the Hood. Taskmaster and Doom's powers are on the expensive side, which is where the Hood comes in to help - gathering resources for Doom to hatch his evil plot (see: purple). Taskmaster's blue also benefits from Doom's attack tiles, so the three of them made a decent team with a bit of synergy.
  • Dormammu
    Options
    Today's (9/5/20) required character is... Dr. Octopus!

Everyone considers the Green Goblin to be Spider-Man's main number-1 villain, and while that was true early-on in Spider-Man's history a strong argument can be made for Doc Ock taking over that prime spot in Spidey's rogue's gallery. Over the years it's simply become very personal between the two, from Otto dating Aunt May back in the day all the way to taking over Peter's body (and becoming Spider-Man!) in more recent times.

As dangerous as Doc Ock always is, he's often at his most deadly when he gathers five of his buddies and leads the Sinister Six. With that in mind, it was quite easy to form an in-character team for today's DDQ and put Octavius with Sandman and Vulture! (The Sinister Three?)

With Vulture acting as a green battery, Sandman's AoE becomes easy to spam. Doc Ock is more behind-the-scenes in this trio, contributing his passive attack tiles off matching enemy specials.