in cl10 pve. do you even want off-meta 5*s to be champed?

Vhailorx
Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
Other than a few obvious standouts (okoye, DD, apoc, etc) I find that I actually prefer the 5e node in events where the featured 5* isn't champed.  It's easier when the 5* deadweight doesn't tank as many colors and is easier to keep alive.  And even when I do have the featured 5* champed, if they are a bad (or old) 5*, their extra damage is woefully inadequate even at level 560+. 
Maybe if I had my classics up at 500+ and they could boost into the 600s, I would appreciate them more, but with a baby champ roster like mine even slightly more than double damage is insufficient for the really difficult matches. (As I have discussed in other threads, cl10 basically necessasites Super Damage™ in the form of kitty, okoye, apoc, or maybe dd, plus multi-hit powers, and everyone who can't pair well with a damage booster is pointless.)
Obviously there are some classic 5*s with abilities that are useful in pve (e.g., Yelena's red or lumbercap's purple).  But those abilities are generally as effective when underleveled as they are when champed.  So tanking just makes the classic 5* more vulnerable.
While I would say this is a first world problem and not something that really holds me back, the mere fact is making me seriously question any plans I might have to champ any classics that I do manage to cover (e.g, 5bw whom I covered last spring, or cable and archangel who are now at 11 covers). I am now at the point where the iso cost to champ a 5* is no longer too onerous, but if the only reward for doing so is a slightly more annoying time in pve I don't see the value

Comments

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,728 Chairperson of the Boards
    While having a tanking-yet-ineffective Classic 5 is of marginal value and can work against building up your TU AP for Okoye to do her thing, there are definitely ones that do something.  And some of the 5Es in 10 are pretty hard, and having a damage sponge is more of a positive.

Maybe I'm glossing over how much it hurts you to have the 5E tanking.....but I prefer having them champed myself. It's also amusing when the old ones boosted to around 560 still don't tank (or barely tank) over new 450ish toons like Apocalypse.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    bluewolf said:
    While having a tanking-yet-ineffective Classic 5 is of marginal value and can work against building up your TU AP for Okoye to do her thing, there are definitely ones that do something.  And some of the 5Es in 10 are pretty hard, and having a damage sponge is more of a positive.

Maybe I'm glossing over how much it hurts you to have the 5E tanking.....but I prefer having them champed myself. It's also amusing when the old ones boosted to around 560 still don't tank (or barely tank) over new 450ish toons like Apocalypse.
    I don't think any of the older 5*s will fail to tank over modern 450 when boosted to 560+ color for color (i.e. strongest for strongest).  OMD will have the highest match damage in the game when he goes live, at an even 900.  The older 5*s, even the support tier ones like SS with lower match damage, have a strongest color between 500 and 600. So boosted to 560 (~+120%) they will be well over 1000 match damage and will outpace any other 5* at 450.  Maybe someone like apoc at 460 would tank black over a 560 SS, but it would be close.  Still, 8 take your point re: meatshields.  I just find that on the absolutely most challenging nodes. Even a 100k meatshield is of limited value because the ai can do 20k damage or more a turn.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    Completionist in me says “gotta champ em all”. Working on Rescue and Black Widow right now. 
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,203 Chairperson of the Boards
    Some classics are useless sure, but it's still fun to build teams with them and collect them all. 

I mean I probably will never cover some of the original 5 stars no matter how much I play. That is sorta annoying to me. 
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would personally like to see an additional 5* or 2 buffed for PVE events.  It would be at worst case an additional meat shield, or it would make some new and interesting ideas for challenge nodes.  I know not all 5* are good but there are some that are just barely not meta.  Adding an extra character like Jessica Jones or Hela or Dr Strange could make some interesting combinations other than Thor/Okoye
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just one cover for to be able to play the event and gain the rewards. 
    The time and resources needed dont worth it. Except kitty thor okoye doom HE and maybe thanos, and after the first 3 I was being generous.
    In the case devs were to rebalance them the outcome would disappoint mostly everyone. 
    They belong to ancient times.
    At least recent ones from aprox 1 year, if they are not good for pvp they can help on scl10.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've only got Black Bolt about halfway done, but he's been very helpful so far in Simulator. He tanks all his colours over my champed iHulk (until iHulk has died a couple of times) and has the health pool to buy quite a bit of time before iHulk needs to go solo. I actually once managed to finish one of the later clears of the second 5E before Bolt was downed. Probably could have done that on most if he was champed. Also his green has been handy for clearing out enemy special tiles, or just board shake to get more black for Vulture.
    Not always the case, tho. Black Widow was my first 5* fully covered (purely through RNG), and I was excited when she was Featured in some event a while back. But even with the boost, she's still pretty bad, doing poor damage for astronomical AP costs and not having the health to tank for long.