To buy or not to buy

Options
helix72
helix72 Posts: 991 Critical Contributor
So a new 3800 HP Powered-Up Pack popped up in the Heroes for Hire and I wondered...should I buy it? Is it a value? How can I tell?

So I thought to myself, well, I think the 100 HP Daily Deal Heroic is a good deal. What would I get for 38 of them (3800 HP)? 
 2.3750 4* covers (38 * 1/16th)
 7.6000 3* covers (38 * 1/5th)
28.0250 2* covers (38* the balance (73.75%))

So what's in this pack?
2 4* covers
2 3* covers
8000 ISO
1 Mighty Token (or 0.15 4* and 0.85 3* covers)
3 Heroic Tokens (or 3x [ 1/16th 4* and 1/5th 3* and .7375 2* covers)

Converting the tokens to expected covers:
2.3375 4* covers
3.4500 3* covers
2.2125 2* covers
8000 ISO

Since I'm kinda sorta post ISO (I have nothing left to champ but 5*'s that I don't want to champ yet and have over 2M ISO in the bank), for me, the ISO is relatively worthless.

I definitely put significantly more value on the 4* covers, and there the value is close but still the Daily Deal wins. However, I recognize that I haven't considered:
1) I'm getting 2 certain 4*s vs all random 4*s with the Daily Deal. Are Sabretooth and Domino better than 2 random covers? Neither feeds a 5* (currently). Sabretooth is useful with Thorkoye but his damage is driven more by Okoye's Black than by Sabretooth's Red. BUT, maybe someday in the future they become feeders and then having the extra levels will help me with champing some 5* yet to come?
2) I can't ignore that the extra 2* and 3* covers have some value. I just don't know what it is.
3) Volatility! I could get 38 4* covers from my 38 heroic tokens. I could (and much more likely) get 0. I'm guarnateed at least 2 from the Power-Up Pack.

I'm not sure I resolved anything, and I'm still not sure if I'll buy it, but at least now if I do, I won't feel horrible, as the value was not THAT far out of whack.

What about you?

Comments

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    One thing you aren't considering here is the shards you get from each daily deal.  And of course it will take 38 days to get the dailys vs instantly getting the covers.

I think your champ rewards are probably better for you as far as ROI from 38 Heroics, but then it's probably not either/or for people but whether you buy this bundle in addition to the daily Heroics.

That said I'm not buying any bundle right now (MAYBE a one time costume offer) because I have 300 slots and 3800 HP is almost 2 slots now......
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,937 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    BTW, the superb $1.99 offer has returned that gives 600 HP and 3 3* Spiderman covers.
    For those who only spend or want to spend $1.99 for the monthly rewards.
    KGB
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    KGB said:
    BTW, the superb $1.99 offer has returned that gives 600 HP and 3 3* Spiderman covers.
    For those who only spend or want to spend $1.99 for the monthly rewards.
    KGB
    I'm pretty sure it only appears for those who didn't buy it before and it's a one-time purchase.

But yeah, it's a great way to get bonus rewards for $1.99.
  • halirin
    halirin Posts: 327 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Were previous versions of this feel better? Like more covers or mighty tokens? I feel like I remember it previously being a great seeming deal.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I don't think the daily token deals are particularly worthwhile anymore.  not with HP being significantly tighter (unless you continue to grind top 50 in cl10, or sacrifice the cl10 shards for faster clears and better placement in lower cls).  This is especially true because in order to buy the daily offer, you have to burn through all your tokens.  Which means no hoarding event and heroic.  and hoarding continues to be one of the best ways to target specific characters or resources that you want in a post-shard world. 
    As for the h4h packages, I used to spend 3600 HP on direct buy 4* covers when (i) I had in excess of 7k HP, and (ii) it was for a powerhouse 4* or a new(ish) character that I wanted to champ.  But between the reduced HP rate and the fact that 4* covers are so much easier to get these days that I no longer consider this sort of purchase any more, even for pretty good 4*s. There are relatively few 4*s that offer significant value to an established 4* roster, so maximizing my ability to target those few characters when I really need them (by hoarding every token that offers shards or lets me mine out a PVE vault) more than makes up for any marginal loss of efficiency (on average) as compared to opening as I go and buying the daily deal.