About bonus shards

Options
Karass
Karass Posts: 61 Match Maker
Hi there! I was reading again the introduction to bonus shards and it got me puzzled as to how the reset works. Once you pull, for instance in LTs, a bonus shard in 4*, does the reset affects the odds of getting the 5* bonus, or do these work separately within the LT vault? Please let me know and thanks for your answers :)

Comments

• Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    Options
    It is a mystery!

It's possibly random, for one player working one way and for another the other way.
    I thought I heared somewhere we're supposed to have more fun that way.

In case it wasn't clear, that was sarcasm.

Seriously, though, I'd love to know exactly how it works. With numbers, please! 

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I believe they said that each stream of bonus shards has its own counter to discourage shenanigans across different types of tokens (i.e. open 50+ heroic tokens without getting bonus shards to run up your numbers and then switch to LTs to get 5* bonus shards).  But I don't think they went into elaborate minutae on how the system works.
    Based on their stated goals, I would be surprised if getting 4* bonus shards reset your 5* shard counter (or vice versa).  Any other implementation would be ripe for abuse.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,293 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm not fully sure how a 4* shard trigger resetting a 5* shard counter would be abuse-able.......

The initial announcement thread had some information.

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/82008/r199-new-feature-bonus-shard-forced-timer/p1

The counter ticks up per pull for each token type.  (Heroic, Elites, Latests, etc)  Getting some bonus shards resets the "pity counter".

RE:  whether it cares about you getting 4 or 5* shard (for example) from an LT pull and how that impacts your odds of getting bonus shards in one tier or the other:

----
    From the thread.... IceIX had this response to a question:
    gahcior2 said:
    (in the case of heroic packs) does the timer of both 3* and 4* resets when you get either of those or is It just from the tier you got the bonus shards from ? Also thanks for the update , this is a very nice change.
    The timer is combined for any/all pulls. Past analytics of knowing *what* is pulled after the fact, the game doesn't really differentiate between pull "types", so it'd be difficult to make it know to avoid or weight specific pull types.

-------

So if you are pulling Latests and get some bonus shards for say, Shuri, your counter resets for bonus shards for all tiers.  Which doesn't mean you can't randomly get some bonus 5 shards on your next pull....it's just not independent from getting some bonus shards as a result of the counter eventually hitting some maximum level.

I have to assume that the odds are better that you will get bonus 4* shards than 5* shards when pulling Latests/Classics etc, so therefore your odds of bonus 5* shards will be fairly low in general.  This is how bonus covers worked as well.....you had 5% odds of getting some bonus cover from each pull and the higher tiers had lower chances to be the reward.  (My bonus rate on 5s was only 3% during the bonus cover era; I am not sure how many bonus 4's I got from Legendary pulls, but presumably they would have have been somewhere around 8% or so if the overall bonus rate was close to 5%).

At one point they suggested that there might be a UI indicator of the counter and its status, but so far that hasn't materialized.