Burial Rights Vs. Anoint [Fixed]

Options
BlessedOne
BlessedOne Posts: 258 Mover and Shaker
It is my opinion that Kaya's First ability, Burial rights should be a direct counter to Liliana's (Death's Majesty) first ability, Anoint.
If Improved Burial Rights is in play, then Liliana's Anoint should not return anything to the field.
Case in point, Improved Burial rights triggers when Anoint is activated: Anoint destroys a creature in play. Kaya gains a point of life, then Lilliana's loses a point of life.

But, for some reason, Liliana can pull a creature from Exile. The anointed creature should be moved to exile, not in the graveyard.

Taking this a step further, there are some other cards that create a similar effect to burial rights..Grafdigger's Cage, and Leyline of the Void, for example. I'm betting that Anoint will put a creature on the field with those cards in play.

Comments

• Zzyzzx
    Zzyzzx Posts: 248 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I just happened to see this during lunch and had to test it.
    I can't recreate the perfect scenario described above, but I can test out Grafdigger's Cage.
    Back in a few.
  • Zzyzzx
    Options
    Wow!
    Anoint just got 150% better.
    It looks like my Lazotep Reaver (a critter I frequently Anoint) doesn't completely avoid the graveyard either.
    The battle log shows it as being destroyed (although doesn't mention Anoint until later).
    I'm theorizing that events are are occurring in a peculiar order (or intentional):
    • Liliana's Triumph was drawn
    • Lazotep Reaver was destroyed
    • Grafdigger's Cage was triggered
    • Black Market was triggered
    • Lazotep Reaver was cast by Zzyzzx
    • Zombie  Army was cast by Zzyzzx
    • Lazotep Reaver was triggered
    • Zzzyzzx used ability Anoint
    And then I hit pause to review the log.
  • Zzyzzx
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Based on this evidence, I agree that Anoint is sending the creature to the yard, then exile, then back to the battlefield.

I'm going to try Anointing an Amass Army stack (something I never do) and see what happens, assuming it doesn't crash the app.
  • Zzyzzx
    Options
    As I'd expected, using Anoint on a token still does nothing.
    It never goes to the yard, nor exile, and Grafdigger's Cage wasn't triggered.
    The tokens were removed from the game and did not return with +3/+3.
    So don't Anoint your tokens folks!
  • BlessedOne
    Options
    Thanks for doing some play testing, @Zzyzzx

• Zzyzzx
    Options
    After confirming that this behavior is consistent across 2 exile mechanics (Blessed with Burial Rights as Kaya's 1st and me with Grafdigger's Cage), Anoint is superseding the exile mechanic.

Kaya's Burial Rights and Grafdigger's Cage (and likely Leyline of the Void) should prevent the Anointed creature from returning to the battlefield, but do not.
  • BlessedOne
    Options
    What about creatures like Despoiler of Souls (DoS)? If burial rights is in play, DoS should not return to the field after being destroyed, regardless of mana in your opponents hand. Just sayin...
  • Magic:PQ Support Team
    Magic:PQ Support Team ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 3,337 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This issue is now under investigation.
    Thank you for the feedback!