Trial of the Planes

JohnnyBGood
JohnnyBGood Posts: 1 Just Dropped In
Please make Trial of the Planes a standard event. I‘m fed up with encountering the same decks with the usual op cards over and over again...

Comments

• LoboX01
    LoboX01 Posts: 56 Match Maker
    Please not make it Standard.

I am sorry for being a selfish piece of tinykitty, but I have already enough grinding every day. Heck, even with my op legacy cards it takes me 40-45 mins to go through the 8 matches (5 mins per match - with loading in, playing the match, and loading the reward 5 points).

A good option would be to have a standard and a legacy version every day, but you can select only one of it. So I can still have my 45 mins Totp, and whoever wants to play the standard version can have the 90-120 mins version with the lagging Vanguards, food tokens, Urza tokens, etc. which makes Greg think twice as hard as normal, and prone to freeze you out in the turn when you would win the match.
  • Heartstone
    Heartstone Posts: 232 Tile Toppler
    We have rising tensions for standard, so I would keep totp in Legacy.
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    I agree with the comments here.  ToTP is the only place you can play with your bonkers legacy fun decks without worrying about objectives (well, besides TG).

Its also a pretty fun meta to mess with, since you pretty much know what all the decks are running anyway.

Please don't change it.  Its totally optional anyways, so there's no pressure to play anyway.
  • GrizzoMtGPQ
    GrizzoMtGPQ Posts: 776 Critical Contributor
    It would be cool if you could choose day by day. First thing it does is ask, want to play standard or legacy?
  • Bubbles_CS
    Bubbles_CS Posts: 332 Mover and Shaker
    Why not just match players against opponents playing the same format? I thought Training Grounds should have been implemented like that but instead we have separate events so there are probably technical hurdles to this.
  • Mburn7
    Why not just match players against opponents playing the same format? I thought Training Grounds should have been implemented like that but instead we have separate events so there are probably technical hurdles to this.
    That's my guess too.  It must be a lot of work to set up a 2-events-in-one event, or it would have been perfect for TG.

It would be nice to have a ToTP for Standard since there really aren't many places to play fully optimized decks.
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,433 Chairperson of the Boards
    Please make Trial of the Planes a standard event. I‘m fed up with encountering the same decks with the usual op cards over and over again...
    Be happy that Quick Battle doesn't exist anymore. When I started in 11/2016 that was literally the only event during the week. Maybe another event here and and there. Anyways, the premise of this event was you've 24 hours to aggressively play continually and increase your rank which was based on the number of matches you win which led to so many builds being built for speed. Which then led to infamous players whom had almost every powerful mythic in the game due to winning these events and use them to troll other players to trip them up while they were offline and cause locks or simply drag out the match forever, then reset those builds to competitive status and resumed battling for the top spot. Yeah... that event stunk monkey bottom. Rewarded players whom had better collections and were able to expand said collections to maintain dominance and weaker players literally had no hope in hades to ever match it. And almost every build was the same... fast, brutal and rampy. 

I love TotP for the same reasons many say above. That and we have a plethora of standard events to play your standard builds. 

For the record, I do not call TG (both legacy and standard) an event. They're just a place to test builds. The 10 crystals are just a nice plus. 

• GrizzoMtGPQ
    edited July 2020
    I ... liked quick battle. Those marathon nights without sleep. Those were the times.
  • Mburn7
    critman said:
    I would have thought that all the players who can afford to get their hands on Omniscience also have the resources to build a pretty Song of Creation combo deck in Standard, so I doubt the change from Legacy to Standard would make a lot of difference.
    That's a fair point too, there are plenty of standard decks that win on turn 1 just as often (or only slightly less often) than the legacy ones. 
  • GrizzoMtGPQ
    Song of Creation + Whirwind of Thought. That combo is just unfair.
  • Mburn7
    critman said:
    I mean don't the devs care about card balance?

Oh wait sorry I forgot where I was for a moment there

Lol.  No MTG product actually cares about card balance.  Some do pretend better than others though :D
  • jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2020
    Song of Creation + Whirwind of Thought. That combo is just unfair.
    Feels right to me, especially since the AI will often just use all that loyalty to spam its first over and over.