reducing cl10 play time

Options
jredd
jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
CL 10 is a slog, for most i'm guessing. 

even though they pay little attention to the forums, and less to our suggestions presented within, let's spitball some ideas to make the pve grind less time consuming. on the off-chance something catches their attention. with burn-out on the rise they might be wise to try to implement some ideas here...

1) i've brought this up several times here, but a 'replay node' button that comes up under the victory banner would eliminate having to go back through all the node and team selection screens.

2) weekly boosted 5* list. even if it's only 1 per week, at least there's potential for more firepower for those level 500+ nodes.

3) eliminate/auto play the 'easy' nodes. c'mon, if we're playing cl10, our rosters are at a point where having to knock off level 65 nodes is a waste of time.

4) actually fix the slow game play issue so it works every time, not once or twice per week.

5) have a toggle to turn off in game information banners. i pretty much know what's going on now, don't need 8 banners slowing down gameplay telling me that abilities and passives are firing. (this is a huge time sink using hawkeye/hammercap/coulson in particular)

Comments

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,310 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Just reduce the levels on some of the nodes.  Less health = less playtime.

Maybe H1 and H2 can get a 30% reduction, and the 3E is kind of ridiculous.  You're basically running a 2 person team there.  Start with those.

Simplest solution.
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,194 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    jredd said:

3) eliminate/auto play the 'easy' nodes. c'mon, if we're playing cl10, our rosters are at a point where having to knock off level 65 nodes is a waste of time.

It'd be nice if they adjusted the points from these nodes into the other nodes (minus the challenge level, which really wasn't supposed to be mandatory for progression...),or just gave us the points.  But, what they probably hear is, let's add challenge node number 2...
  • Xair
    Xair Posts: 77 Match Maker
    Options
    jredd said:
    CL 10 is a slog, for most i'm guessing. 

even though they pay little attention to the forums, and less to our suggestions presented within, let's spitball some ideas to make the pve grind less time consuming. on the off-chance something catches their attention. with burn-out on the rise they might be wise to try to implement some ideas here...

1) i've brought this up several times here, but a 'replay node' button that comes up under the victory banner would eliminate having to go back through all the node and team selection screens.

2) weekly boosted 5* list. even if it's only 1 per week, at least there's potential for more firepower for those level 500+ nodes.

4) actually fix the slow game play issue so it works every time, not once or twice per week.

5) have a toggle to turn off in game information banners. i pretty much know what's going on now, don't need 8 banners slowing down gameplay telling me that abilities and passives are firing. (this is a huge time sink using hawkeye/hammercap/coulson in particular)

All the ideas you suggested sound great to me, but except for idea 2, I don’t think any of them will significantly affect scl10 gameplay. And even idea 2 won’t affect it unless the boosted char is one of the op chars like Okoye or px5.

When I felt that scl10 was becoming too much of a long grind, I just decided to go back to doing scl9 mostly, and only upgrade back to scl10 when there is a champion that I want specifically.

After going back to focusing mostly on scl9, I felt that the game wasn’t demanding too much of me anymore, and I even felt that I have too little play time, so whenever I go back to scl10, it feels even more rewarding and fun.

I am happy with having 2 difficulty levels which allow me to stay competitive.
  • krakenoon
    krakenoon Posts: 355 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    As someone not yet able to play in 10, any changes making it easier to play will be welcome. As I understand it, my roster will not be viable to play it once I hit rank 125.

It really does feel like it’s time we have non-essential 5s boosted, but I wonder how that will impact lower clearance levels.

I am also a fan of the idea of turning off banners.
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,192 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    All they need to do is reduce health pools or require less completions.

Other options

-Make the Max 550 on all the nodes
    -Autocomplete the weaker nodes, or just get rid of them. They are pointless
    -Reduce the number of times from 4 to 3. Some people don't play for placement, just progress.

I can think of way more, but here is a start.
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,369 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I don't really mind the easy nodes, they can be cleared pretty fast. The problem is in the scaling nodes IMO.

My suggestion: reduce the amount of required clears, but increase the initial scaling level.

E.g., right now, it's: (not sure on the exact numbers, but to illustrate my point)
    Clear 1: level 350
    Clear 2: level 400
    Clear 3: level 450
    Clear 4: level 500 (24h timer on points starts after this clear)
    Clear 5+: level 550

Change that into:
    Clear 1: level 400
    Clear 2: level 450 (24h timer on points starts after this clear)
    Clear 3+: level 500
    and increase the max points on clear so the same or similar amount of points could be earned.

I don't know for sure if it would work well, I feel like this would reduce the grind (both by # of clears and a slightly less high max scaling HP) but keep it difficult enough not to be trivial. Why not test something like this once?
  • BigSoftieFF
    BigSoftieFF Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    H1, H2, H3, 3*, 4*, 5* all need health reduced rather significantly. I would argue all of these nodes except the 5* aren’t difficult just a slog (SIM Bishop node notwithstanding)

CNode needs to stay difficult but should require less clears I believe. Maybe 2, 3 at the most. If not a health reduction needs to happen or the characters need switched because AP costs for 1* and 2* toons are simply too small for the damage they do. Also C5rnage needs to rot at level 600+

Its not even fun 😂 

• Michael1957
    Michael1957 Posts: 630 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Or just don’t play SCL 10 if time is more valuable to you .
      “ There’s always a choice “.
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 974 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Indeed. But more likely, people want the SCL10 rewards for SCL9 difficulty. SCL10 gives out much better rewards and so should be much more demanding.
  • Sithforever
    Sithforever Posts: 144 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Every time I think about going to SCL 9 the prize payout in 10 gets me in. The healthy balance will be not going in if my essential 5 isn't champed.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,310 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dogface said:
    Indeed. But more likely, people want the SCL10 rewards for SCL9 difficulty. SCL10 gives out much better rewards and so should be much more demanding.
    Nobody is saying they want the same rewards for SCL9 difficulty.

Playing SCL10 is not any harder in most nodes than playing SCL9; it's just longer.

Also, it is twice as much time spent in SCL10 vs 9.....are the rewards twice as good?  Basically you get 250 vs 50 5* shards and 3.25 vs 2 4's, and a few more CP, a few more HP.  So the question is if the rewards are worth the effort.

In my opinion, they aren't quite twice as good and the QOL hit from needing extra time in 10 is a big deal for me.

A partial 5 is still a partial 5, even if you get more of a partial 5 in 10. 
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,192 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm just going to start skipping events if it doesn't have the character I'm working on or interested in. 

Example, next event features Thanos. I don't really have any of his covers so it's not worth my time to grind SCL10 for 1/2 a 5 star cover. So I can have a few days off. 

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The elephant in the room is crying for attention. Its name is reduced difficulty = reduced rewards. How many players won't go on a rampage when this happens? What if reduced difficulty comes with reduced 5* shards by half, along with other resource reduction? 
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,194 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Adding A.I.M. goons into pve is going to make scl 10 even slower.  Much rather face Dark Avengers. I know people hate Dark Avengers, but none of them have 3ap powers, passive 1 turn repeaters, eat your special tiles, etc. 
  • nyck1118
    nyck1118 Posts: 106 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Some of the later nodes in 10 become way too much and I just don't hit them beyond 2/3/4 times. I don't have Okoye or Gritty. Having to hit 300k combined Health 6x with 1 measly 5 boosted if I have it takes way too much time. I only do 6x to green check mark and that's 1.8 million health to chew thru. And that's only one node. It takes hours to clear I just do it slowly thru the day.

Sure dropping down a CL would cut that down but it doesn't help when I'm trying to catch up on 5*s when the reward in cl9 is 1/5 of the reward in CL10.  That would mean it's taking 5x as long to cover them. 

I've sacrificed placement for progression and time
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I wouldn't mind CL10 so much in PVE if this was actually the game it is named for Marvel PUZZLE Quest.  But as the game is structured, in order to get the best rewards, you're playing Marvel SPEED Quest.

When CL10 was released, it then became apparent that it was Marvel SPEEDGRINDFEST Quest.  I just don't have two hours a day to dedicate to a game consecutively.  

I take the resources I earn for playing the game as much as I want.  I still wish I could play it when I wanted to, though.  (Please don't comment regarding slices.  I know they exist and none are optimal.  I pick the one that works best, but it isn't "play a node when I feel like it.")  

But the puzzle element of this game is only really relevant in the 5* node in DDQ anymore, with some rare exceptions sprinkled in.  
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 974 Critical Contributor
    Options
    You can puzzle away in any boss event, any introducing event, any shield training. No time pressure, no leaderboard (and if there is, it isn't bound by time). 
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    well, if anyone does read the forum, and can delete this thread, go right ahead. kind of went off the rails.

at no point was it my intent to discuss the difficulty of cl 10 or debate the 'choice to do cl 9'. the reward to time investment, etc..

i just wanted to brew up ideas on how to make doing the same thing go faster. i think there's lots of ways to make that happen. those that tried to contribute, thanks. maybe we'll get em next time...
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Putting aside the issues of the ridiculously overscaled teams.  The OP has a valid point.  The new game engine was supposed to bring a lot of Quality of life imporvements.  and I'm still waiting for preassigned favorites with load outs.

Yes easy teams will be faster,  but the larger issue remains that the Devs can vastly improve and revamp the experience of playing all for time at speed.

We need an auto skip dialog function, favorite combos, all the other suggestions people have made to speed up play or minimize wasted swipes