Why does gem conversion from lands happen before card draw?

andrewvanmarle
andrewvanmarle Posts: 971 Critical Contributor
... At the start of the turn.

It's something that has bothered me on and of since the start. 

It's analogous to tapping your lands first and dumping part of your mana before drawing cards in paper... 

Comments

• jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2020
    Submit this to the Q&A! They are great at answering questions there.
    EDIT: Never mind. They closed that on the 19th. :(
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    critman said:
    jtwood said:
    Why do they close the Q&A window at all? Surely the point of having a forum is to provide feedback. Why close the window for feedback for most of the month?

Most likely because of how long it takes for them to make the answers posts.  Re-doing their post every couple days as new questions are asked isn't really an efficient use of time (now why it takes so long to answer what are mostly simple questions is a whole separate issue).

On topic, I always assumed since the gem conversion is at "start of turn" it works like in paper, which is during your upkeep (before card draw).  Its certainly not ideal from a gameplay perspective, but mechanically it makes sense.
  • jtwood
    critman said:
    jtwood said:
    Why do they close the Q&A window at all? Surely the point of having a forum is to provide feedback. Why close the window for feedback for most of the month?
    I would bet a decent sum it's so that they can take the questions back, submit them through a sprint to the appropriate people, gather responses, and prepare their post. That doesn't happen overnight. But yes... I'd like to see a new one opened when the prior one closes.

• andrewvanmarle
    critman said:
    ... At the start of the turn.

It's something that has bothered me on and of since the start. 

It's analogous to tapping your lands first and dumping part of your mana before drawing cards in paper... 
    Gem conversion also happens at other times, of course, there are plenty of supports which convert gems in response to activated gems being popped.

and thus the  specification of gemconversion by lands....
  • andrewvanmarle
    Fair enough, sorry I misread you.

It's in the end a choice thing more than anything else, but to me it would be logical that card draw happens first and all the rest after. wether it be gemconversion or getting straight up mana

• jtwood
    Fair enough, sorry I misread you.

It's in the end a choice thing more than anything else, but to me it would be logical that card draw happens first and all the rest after. wether it be gemconversion or getting straight up mana
    I know we shouldn't really do the "In paper Magic..." thing, but here it goes:
    Untap > Upkeep > Draw. I feel like gem conversion is an equivalent to the Upkeep trigger. It would make sense in that context.
    :smile:

• andrewvanmarle
    I see the gem conversion as part of tapping lands. 

In paper you get to draw then tap, 

In pq its like you have tap all your lands but one before drawing a card
  • jtwood
    I’d equate our voluntary matching to land tapping. :shrug:
  • andrewvanmarle
    jtwood said:
    I’d equate our voluntary matching to land tapping. :shrug:
    I thought so, that's why I meant that would equate to tapping only one during your turn
  • Magic:PQ Support Team
    Magic:PQ Support Team ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 3,259 Chairperson of the Boards
    jtwood said:
    critman said:
    jtwood said:
    I would bet a decent sum it's so that they can take the questions back, submit them through a sprint to the appropriate people, gather responses, and prepare their post. That doesn't happen overnight. But yes... I'd like to see a new one opened when the prior one closes.

That's exactly why! We have to run the form through a lot of teams and different people, who sometimes are busy and takes a little longer. Thank you for your patience during this phase!
    I will check if there's a way of opening the next month's box at the same moment I close the box from the current month.
    Or not even close it. Instead, we can separate the questions for each month.
    Thank you all, for the feedback!