Onslaught 2nd node

Options
tonypq
tonypq Posts: 549 Critical Contributor
edited June 2020 in MPQ General Discussion
For the new Onslaught mini event, node 2 let's you use a boosted version which is cool. I was curious, if you quit the match instead of completing it. 

Edit... noob question answered. 

New question for those who've  played the second node, what are your thoughts regarding Onslaught after trying him out ?

Comments

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2020
    Options
    You can keep on replaying the nodes, including yesterday node. I have played with loaner Onslaught 5 times already.

I have never tried quitting halfway because I don't think there's a need to.
  • tonypq
    Options
    Shocked I didn't realize after playing for years I couldn't repeat the node. 

What do you guys think of Onslaught after trying him out ?

Played a few matches so far, got purple off once but not until end of a match so the strike tile didn't help. Got blue off once but no tiles available, although the regular tiles it changed the color of created a match 4 opportunity that didnt previously exist. Another round I got a match 4 off, weren't many team up tiles available but did a little extra cascade damage. 
  • nyck1118
    nyck1118 Posts: 106 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I have no opinion based on playing with him. I beat the node in 2 moves. The 2nd try I actively skipped match 4s and still killed them with match damage.  I think a 450 onslaught would have been more beneficial. 550 was overkill and not obtainable for 99.5% of the player base.  He has some good things going for him but I can't see it in that match. 
  • tonypq
    Options
    Yeah I think they should of set him to 450 also heh. One match I did a match 4 which downed Juggs instantly and Phoenix didn't last much longer. I was able to see each ability finally, animations really aren't some of the games best, but after I've seen them once on a character I turn them off in settings anyeays. 
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2020
    Options
    This 2nd node is another one that makes me wonder how much Demi actually plays their own game. 

What is the intended purpose of this node? One 550 5* versus two level 290 opponents is a terrible showcase for the new character.  Without even considering the laughably low level of challeng, the match doesn't even last long enough for anything interesting to happen.  It's a bit of a struggle to even cast any of onslaught's active abilities. 

Hopefully the later nodes will feature a loaner 550 against level 450+ opponents that might actually let us get a real sense of onslaught's strengths and weaknesses.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,546 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I, too, won in 2 moves. Not even really sure how, tbh. Damage just sort of happened and there didn't seem to be any reason to question my own good fortune.
  • halirin
    halirin Posts: 327 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    this is what we get after the hellcat whinefest
  • zonatahunt
    zonatahunt Posts: 250 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Like others, I beat it in 2 moves.  This reminds me of the loaner node for Silver Surfer when he was the first 5*.  Onslaught is fully a 6*.
  • Vhailorx
    Options
    Like others, I beat it in 2 moves.  This reminds me of the loaner node for Silver Surfer when he was the first 5*.  Onslaught is fully a 6*.
    No, onslaught is a weak-ish modem 5*.  But lately any active character in the game at 550 will beat 2x level 290 opponents.  Level scaling is not linear, so 300 + 300 != 600.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,913 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Vhailorx said:

What is the intended purpose of this node? One 550 5* versus two level 290 opponents is a terrible showcase for the new character.
    Honestly I think it’s this...

They are trying to make people think “Oh wow this new character is amazing! Take my money now!”.  He’s decently mid tier it seems. 
  • zonatahunt
    Options
    I disagree that he’s mid-tier.  His blue, for 7AP, does 5515 damage for each enemy special tile. Fighting against BRB, it’s not uncommon at all to have 10+ protect tiles out in a column/row.  Destroying those tiles for just 7AP would cause 55k damage.  That’s not mid-tier in my opinion.  Add his escalated health, damage, and a passive that causes damage and could easily generate lots of AP from cascades...he’s more than formidable.
  • Vhailorx
    Options
    I disagree that he’s mid-tier.  His blue, for 7AP, does 5515 damage for each enemy special tile. Fighting against BRB, it’s not uncommon at all to have 10+ protect tiles out in a column/row.  Destroying those tiles for just 7AP would cause 55k damage.  That’s not mid-tier in my opinion.  Add his escalated health, damage, and a passive that causes damage and could easily generate lots of AP from cascades...he’s more than formidable.

This is why I think he is ~archangel tier (notched up a bit for high health and match damage).  He is very good against a select set of opponents, but kinda meh on average relative to the meta.  I don't think he will be truly terrible or anything, but I think he will lag behind the competition in all-around play.
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 974 Critical Contributor
    Options
    And let's not forget that the 5515 damage is based on a 550 Onslaught.
  • zonatahunt
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Dogface said:
    And let's not forget that the 5515 damage is based on a 550 Onslaught.
    Nope, that’s the damage at 450.  That’s a lot of damage.  At level 550...he does 11,919 per special tile.  Now that’s just absurd.
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 974 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Weird thing is, at least for me on Steam, that if you press info after team selection it shows Onslaught at lvl 500.
  • HoundofShadow
    Options
    Don't forget that Kitty will boost BRB tiles like crazy. So, your 55150 damage will probably be reduced by 50% or even more, depending on how fast you get your blue.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dogface said:
    Weird thing is, at least for me on Steam, that if you press info after team selection it shows Onslaught at lvl 500.
    It's the same thing on mobile.
  • HoundofShadow
    Options
    Now that explanation makes a lot of sense and tie in with what they have mentioned in that Introducing... thread. 
  • Vhailorx
    edited June 2020
    Options
    That's a plausible explanation fight4, but you seem to be doing an awful lot of the work for demi there (I do like that they relied on an in-book fight.  Nice touch!).  Overall, though, will they really vary the levels the opponents in each node for each event to match the story?  I would be surprised if they did that; unexpected it to be plug-and-play, with the same levels for each run of the event.

You might be right about demi's rationale, but I would still argue that a 550 v 2x 290s is still bad game design.  It's basically just a mindless time sink.  Players do have to play it to see the whole event, but they actually have to work hard to get any feel for onslaught's active powers.  And if they trigger the passive it's basically match over instantaneously.  1x 550 v 2x 400 would accomplish all the thematic goals you state while also providing some in-game value as well. 

Now maybe such a node is still to come, in which case this node is just a trivial waste of time.  But if this node is all we get to showcase onslaught, I will be a bit frustrated.