Would you rather have Onslaught or 5* The Hulk Immortal ?

Options
tonypq
tonypq Posts: 549 Critical Contributor
Which 5* would you rather have and why, Onslaught or The Hulk Immortal ?

I was curious to see which character you all like most, also which of them you think would be the best fit with the 5s I already have champed BRB, Prof, GED, Hela, Captain Marvel, Thanos. 

I was planning to open a big stash, been waiting for Sinister/Havoc to rotate out. Hulk is my favorite character and I've been wanting to obtain/champ him. Especially after chasing Banner Hulk in the past, being one of the first 5s I tried to cover entering 5* land. Got him to 9 covers and stopped chasing him being pretty lackluster. So I was looking forward to champing Immortal Hulk who is a lot more viable. 

Now that we've seen more info for Onslaught, I'm torn if I want to open my stash to get Hulk or wait until he leaves for Onslaught. Onslaught looks a lot better to me now seeing the final numbers than I thought he would be. Purple offers a really hefty strike tile, 4 covers in green can be pretty nice especially paired with 5Prof who I use often, then his blue isn't bad over 5500 damage per special tile in the row/column. He also has a ton of health and very high match damage.

The 5s I use the most are BRB/Prof and I pick a third partner depending on needs. Onslaught doesn't necessarily make the best fit with BRB/Prof as he is blue/green/purple and share two colors with BRB/Prof. Still up in the air ultimately how good Onslaught will be, also when paired with Prof. As far as Immortal Hulk, his green/black/red has some overlap with BRB/Prof, but gives me a very strong red active. He also seems to be a good character for PVP, defense, and tougher nodes in PVE SCL 9/10 when I decide to do them. He doesn't have anywhere near the health as Onslaught, although he can revive himself continuously. However I might not be playing in many situations where Hulk will revive himself multiple times where it would be a bigger benefit to me than Onslaught with twice the health as Hulk. 

Whether I open my stash now or wait for Hulk to leave for Onslaught, the character who is the best fit for me is Apocalypse. His black/red/yellow complete the rainbow with BRB/Prof and give me actives in all colors. However I'm curious specifically about Hulk and Onslaught, if i'm overlooking some other really good team combos I haven't considered with the 5s I have champed now, that might nudge me to go for Hulk or wait for Apocalypse. 

Comments

• PorkBelly
    PorkBelly Posts: 526 Critical Contributor
    Options
    It's always difficult to say with an unreleased character but Immortal Hulk has been extremely fun to play.  If you pulled for him, I doubt that you would regret it. 
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2020
    Options
    This is a tough question because they are 2 very different characters.  And I do not know your roster to say what is best for you.

pro’s IHulk.  He goes great with Okoye or Apocalypse with his AOE.  This will tear teams down especially when Their power boosts start to kick in.  He can take a nuke and shrug it off as he won’t die.  His red does massive damage.  He is a decent scarecrow for defensive purposes on D.  He can be used under leveled much better than others.

cons- if he tanks too many colors he kills your team and costs a ton of health packs.  He has cover overlap with Apocalypse red.

onslaught pro’s 
    he has a ton of health.  His passive Gives good board shake.  His blue as potential for more board shake.  He can turn invisible.  He feels like a substitute for 1/2 health Thor with some board shake and super high health.  His blue can do good damage especially when boosted by Apocalypse.  He makes Apocalypse imaginable.

Cons his blue is extremely conditional needing enemy special tiles.  His blue also does not do a ton of damage.  His purple attack tile is massive, but will that be the power you want 5 in?

i personally have IHulk and Apocalypse champed.  IHulk is not an every match character for me as he just tanks too many colors. I love him and his powers but I have to be carful in how I use him.  Apocalypse is a beast and worth covering.

Edit:  I am going to say for you Onslaught will be better than IHulk.  Onslaught will provide board shake for Apocalypse to generate AP, he is super high health so that will save you health packs, and he will keep Apocalypse from being stunned.  You can add either Professor X for double damage on match 4 or BRB to give a Green outlet and protect tiles for Apocalypse to destroy.

• XandorXerxes
    XandorXerxes Posts: 340 Mover and Shaker
    edited June 2020
    Options
    My current considerations:

• Will Onslaught's board shake muck up Apoc's protect tile tomfoolery?
    • Given the prevalence of Kitty, is Onslaught's attack tile useful or a liability? 
    • If Onslaught's power is based on enemy special tiles, and the most prevalent is protect tiles thanks to BRB, but the power doesn't ignore protect tiles - will it do any damage?
    • How much do you like Yelena? If you don't like her at all, you can also gamble on the next 5* after onslaught when it's released in three days (/s). Though I haven't looked - will Onslaught's match damage outpace hers on their shared colors?

I really want to pull for Hulk, but my luck is bad and my number of tokens would require pretty good luck to fully cover them from what I understand.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I will go with iHulk ability-wise and go with Onslaught for nostalgia. I remember the arcade fighting game with Onslaught as the final boss

iHulk with Okoye is equal to a passive R4G/Juggernaut.
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Bubba3210 said:
    I’d like both but the system is broken. 4/5/4/5 is not good for anyone and will drive away more players.

I have several in my alliance with one or zero covers on one or more of the latest releases. It’s not from a lack of trying either as we all hoarded until apocalypse arrived. 67 pulls netted one Apocalypse for me.

I’m seriously considering ending my ride on the merry go round. Day 1739 and it’s getting harder instead of easier.
    I'm struggling with whether or not I even want to finish the current PvE event... Pull the bandaid off or just let it rot off over time from neglect...
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Options
    @Daredevil217, how about IH vs. Apocalypse?
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I have the same doubts myself. Numbers for Onslaught are pretty decent, better than expected, so I would really like to get both. 
    Hulk is a “punch up” character.  I took down a 541 Bill/ 541 Apoc with 450 Hulk and 348 Vulture. He’s also seeing a lot of use in CL10 due to his passive and sustainability. 

Onslaught is the opposite. He’s a “bully” character that when paired with Professor can punch down and dispose of weak teams super fast with the match-4 board shake combo. But as a match drags on and the teamups dry up, Onslaught gets less effective. His invisibility seems easy to disarm (and still prone to Hulks passive AOE ironically) and his blue relies on enemy specials to do low damage (hi, Kingpin). On Line, people are calling him “nonslaught” (ha), and while a bit harsh, I could see him being good/fun, but “just another 5” that no one plays after a month because his mechanics aren’t better than what we have. 
    I agree with you here. I would say that the biggest problem for Onslaught as it was for 3 Magneto's red, is that it is going to be pretty hard to get the same results for the second, third, etc. time that you manage to do a match-4. So he is going to be great against easy teams, that you can deal with them fast, and he will probably have bigger problems with hard teams.

Also if the teams he fights dont create special tiles, his damage is pretty bad. A pity he doesnt remove the special tiles, he might destroy them if there is a cascade (match-4), but remove would have been way better.

The doubt now is how big Onslaught cascades are going to be with his blue. If they are big and you get a lot of AP and extra team ups, and then he gets match-4 often, he might be pretty good, if not, then he will be medium tier I guess.

Finally, with the exception of smashing weaker teams with Professor, Onslaught is a slower “thinking man’s character”, whereas Hulk is almost autoplay. With Onslaught you have to think about what row/column to convert, what color it’ll be, and where you’ll get the best ROI.  Also have to consider whether you want to protect your invisibility, and make matches to protect your traps, or go for the attack tiles by chasing them. 

Interestingly, I value a lot for him to be a “thinking man’s character” as you say. These are the most fun chars, and I think playing him with ProfX is going to be pretty fun.

Sadly, I doubt Ons + ProfX are a viable scl10 team at all (and also not PvP-2 viable either), so for me, even though Yelena doesn't look amazing, I think iH is going to be the char I will chose (I have Okoye champed). I am going to hope to get iH covered fast, so I can save most of my pulls to jump Yelena and try to pull again for Apoc, Onslaught and whoever comes next. Let's see how my luck goes....

Apoc + Ons looks like a decent team, mostly because they are a rainbow team, but probably there are better alternatives for scl10 too (Thor+Apoc, BRB+Apoc, etc)

PS: Interestingly I think Yelena, with the right partner is probably closer to Meta than Onslaught, but Onslaught looks really fun.
  • krakenoon
    krakenoon Posts: 355 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    @Polares

I’m preparing to see a wave of Peggy/Yelena in pick 2.
  • tonypq
    tonypq Posts: 549 Critical Contributor
    Options
    My reservations on Onslaught are the varying damage blue will do, guess even if you can target just 3 specials 15k damage isn't terrible for the AP cost, but how often will you likely be able to target 4-5 tiles. 

Purple do you want 5 covers to fortify the strike or not so you can get the extra damage on 5 green. Also once you've had a match 4, how many times rest of the fight will there end up being a significant number of TU tiles. 

He definitely seems very fun to play. High health and match damage, being invisible frequently, board shake, big strike tile. Not sure though for any team looking for a killer purple, green, blue, that he will necessarily be your go to. At least on my roster and I have less 5s than many of you, I'd be using Prof over him with his killer blue/purple, rather use BRB over ONS as he has a better green. 

I definitely think ONS is a heck of a character though and will be a lot of fun to play. I'd really like to get him, just feel like I want Hulk a bit more. But if I blow my stash now to get Hulk now, doubt I'll have a big enough stash to really target ONS later on.

With Hulk it is nice getting huge damage on red every time with low AP to use. Passive green should go off fairly often. Think he makes a good character for tough nodes in SCL 9/10 PVE and good scarecrow in PVP, especially for me not having covered Kitty, Okoyoe, Thor types. 

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Has it been confirmed that Onslaught can be paired with Prof X? If it's possible, think they can make a good scarecrow in PvP defensive-wise. An additional of ~20k damage on the first match-4 can't be taken lightly. Every time I fight against 5* Prof X,  I'm always prepared to eat at least three Signal Boosts. The con of those cascades is that your opponent might benefit from a potential match-4 or match-5 the following turn. So, I find that Carbage can somewhat be used as a safety net to counter this and he can also produce special tiles for enemies.

Overall, Onslaught's powers are too situational, compared to iHulk, whom you can use reliably. Hopefully, there will be better 4* or 5* in the future that can complement Onslaught better.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,166 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Onslaught's character name isn't Professor X (onslaught), so he won't be locked out. That's why you can play Archangel and Angel on the same team, but not Ghost Rider (robbie reyes) and Ghost Rider (johnny blaze). Also Miles Morales (spider-man) vs Spider Man (anything else). And so on. It has nothing to do with any fictional in-universe justification, and everything to do with naming conventions.

I think Doom/Profe$$or/Onslaught is going to be a pretty serious pick-3 team for you, but generally I agree that Hulk is the scarier character (so far) to me.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,916 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Has it been confirmed that Onslaught can be paired with Prof X? If it's possible, think they can make a good scarecrow in PvP defensive-wise. An additional of ~20k damage on the first match-4 can't be taken lightly. Every time I fight against 5* Prof X,  I'm always prepared to eat at least three Signal Boosts. The con of those cascades is that your opponent might benefit from a potential match-4 or match-5 the following turn. So, I find that Carbage can somewhat be used as a safety net to counter this and he can also produce special tiles for enemies.

Overall, Onslaught's powers are too situational, compared to iHulk, whom you can use reliably. Hopefully, there will be better 4* or 5* in the future that can complement Onslaught better.

Seems we agree oh Hulk > Onslaught. 20k is a huge hit, but in the era of high health (Apoc/Onslaught), healing (Okoye, Doom, and yeah I still play DD daily), and “I shrug off whatever and come back to life” (IHulk), a 20k opening salvo with huge diminishing returns as the match goes on CAN be taken lightly if you prepare for it.  Not to mention that while 20 is nice, IHulk is doing 16.5k passive damage per turn that green door procs and his active damage is WAY higher than Onslaught (over 32k for 7 AP).

Yepyep said:
    I think Apoc is the “cant miss” everyone is chasing. The question is who to get with him.  If I could only choose one, I’d go Apocalypse over Hulk personally, just because I love to play varied teams and Apoc plays well with like every character in the game. That has more to do with my playstyle though.  Whereas Hulk can arguably be scarier on defense, hes way more niche in terms of his pairings on offense. They’re close though. 
  • Ugh
    Ugh Posts: 83 Match Maker
    Options
    Hulk, but mainly because I am still trying to get a single cover to actually play his required nodes
  • Dirtytactics22
    Dirtytactics22 Posts: 23 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I am in a similar situation to you, I dont have okoye or dd or the other good partners to use hulk with. I have prof x and brb champed so I know I want apocalypse. I have 2 covers for hulk none for yelena and one for apocalypse. At the moment I am leaning more to waiting for hulk to leave as I think I will get more use out of onslaught with the 5* champs I have. If the current 4/5/4/5 is to continue then there is no way I will be able to champ everyone, so picking which to go for especially when there is a stand out like apocalypse is hard.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yepyep said:
    Apocalypse by a country mile.  His red boosted by his yellow does more damage than IHulk without the drawback.  His yellow pairs will all characters.  His black with boosted yellow also does massive damage.  He is not as good defensively because the AI might not play home well But he is the better character.

i do have both champed