Deck rarity restrictions

Options
ArielSira
ArielSira Posts: 490 Mover and Shaker
While playing the new event I was using a deck to match the objectives on the lower right node; semi pauper (common uncommon rare) and create tokens.

Then I lost to a deck with 5 mythics that couldn't create tokens. I know it was mentioned during April Q&A as a tiny option but enforcing the rarity restriction should really be implimented.

Good for you for not caring or being able to go for a top score but it's bad sportmanship to ruin it for others too.

Comments

• Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Its also possible that the event isn't node locked, so your pauper deck could just face a deck built to win a different node.  Still unfair, but not necessarily from bad sportsmanship.
  • Feden
    Feden Posts: 79 Match Maker
    Options
    There is nothing whatsoever wrong with getting points the easiest way possible.  The vast majority of players don't pretend to be competitive.  I'm not going for top 17% on this run of this event, so I don't care about placement.  I'll follow the rules, get my progression points, and move on.  That is not in poor taste in any way.
  • ArielSira
    ArielSira Posts: 490 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    "I'll follow the rules"; exactly what my opponent didn't do (assuming indeed this event is node locked).
  • Volrak
    Volrak Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options
    To be clear, they're not rules.  They're optional goals which give extra rewards.

I realise that doesn't change the feel-bad though.
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Personally, I don't have the available time or patience to chase after every scrap of points.  This game is grindy enough as-is.

I do wish they would pick objectives that are more balanced for the nodes that get the most charges
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,227 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Volrak said:
    To be clear, they're not rules.  They're optional goals which give extra rewards.

Also, while this isn't necessarily the case here, Greg doesn't play decks like people do. There could easily be a card to fill one of the objectives in the deck (say, a copy of March of the Multitudes) that simply wasn't cast because Greg prioritized other cards during his victory. 

Anecdotally, the "pauper" and "peasant" restrictions have been terribly overused, and it's very annoying to have to do this in every gd event.  It's as hackneyed as "enraged" was back in the day.  

• FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    madwren said:
    Volrak said:

Also, while this isn't necessarily the case here, Greg doesn't play decks like people do. There could easily be a card to fill one of the objectives in the deck (say, a copy of March of the Multitudes) that simply wasn't cast because Greg prioritized other cards during his victory. 

Anecdotally, the "pauper" and "peasant" restrictions have been terribly overused, and it's very annoying to have to do this in every gd event.  It's as hackneyed as "enraged" was back in the day.  

Very true, though at least with enraged, win or lose, the match was over quicker.
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    There are cases when events should clearly not be node locked, like HoD — imagine playing Elspeth after Elspeth with your watered down Elspeth deck. 🙄😱🤮
    And there are clear cases where they should, like pauper objectives or playing with those terrible pre-created decks, for while these are completely overused “goals which give extra rewards”, node locking these events would ensure we at least have a better chance of playing against other players who would like to also obtain these extra rewards. 

Ultimately, however, there have been larger discussions about instituting some kind of check for objective designed decks. This could be optional, perhaps part of a tier redesign to give competitive players a more robust experience. 
  • jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2020
    Options
    I'm fairly confident that we were facing decks from other nodes on Colossal Tussle. So I don't think we need to jump to the "Not playing the spirit of the node" type of commentary. But we do need to discuss how much of a problem it is when the secondary objective asks you to severely handicap your deck but doesn't require it of other people.
    And I see this as one of those things that really punishes new players the most. It's easy to assume you'll be facing another, similarly-restricted deck. Then you get bowled over. I've suffered that fate enough to know now that you approach rarity-restricted nodes under the assumption that your opponent won't cooperate.
    Finally, the other issue with rarity restrictions that aren't enforced is that sometimes you lose points simply because you didn't realize you selected an illegal card. It's super easy to do, and there's no way I accidentally made that mistake during CT. Nope. Definitely didn't.
  • Abracadavers
    Abracadavers Posts: 61 Match Maker
    Options
    To be honest I'm not crazy about many of these pauper suggestions.  What I would rather see is a single new PvP event where the only legal cards were commons and uncommons.  Then remove the pauper objectives from all other PvP events and replace them with something else.  I don't mind the occasional pauper objective on PvE events, but other than that, it's enough pauper for me. 
  • bk1234
    Options
    To be honest I'm not crazy about many of these pauper suggestions.  What I would rather see is a single new PvP event where the only legal cards were commons and uncommons.  Then remove the pauper objectives from all other PvP events and replace them with something else.  I don't mind the occasional pauper objective on PvE events, but other than that, it's enough pauper for me. 
    I like the idea of a whole event where everything is blocked except for pauper cards. 
  • andrewvanmarle
    andrewvanmarle Posts: 971 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I hated the pauper objective in the biggest node of the hydra event.

fight the boss with pauper? yes possible. fun? no!
    It made for a very very very long and unfun game. so I decided to kill myself and go for a deck I did like and wouldnt be such a slogfest, to ghell with the two points missed...
  • bk1234
    edited May 2020
    Options
    I hated the pauper objective in the biggest node of the hydra event.

fight the boss with pauper? yes possible. fun? no!
    It made for a very very very long and unfun game. so I decided to kill myself and go for a deck I did like and wouldnt be such a slogfest, to ghell with the two points missed...
    Ral, Ob and NB2 are very easy and fast in pauper. Just a hint for those struggling. Look for PW with creatureless win conditions built into the PW. 

Kiora and S3 are not creatureless but their ults will make it also very fast and easy.