Are the devs finally giving us the 5* Tier we want?

IIAlonditeII
IIAlonditeII Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
There's still plenty else to be worked on and looked at. like making supports more meaningful and acquirable; retracing progression to keep up with the current release schedule, etc, but the one thing I think we are addressing in a healthy, productive way currently is the 5* meta.

By that, I mean that it looks like there's finally a healthy, varied meta evolving at the top of the 5* tier. 

Yes, I know that the older 5* are currently still suffering and need to be looked at to bring them back into the fold, but the fact is that there will always be duds within any given tier, and that's an entirely different issue. But the devs are giving us answer to the stale, old "play only this" that players have long complained of by giving us a variety of playstyles that are all viable and have different counterplay / uses.

From Daredevil + Immortal Hulk to ThorKoye to ThorPocalypse to ApoKoye to Beta Ray Kitty to Bishop Bill etc etc, the list goes on. It seems we've finally reached a point where there's variety in what you can choose, and you can base those choice on lots of factors - do I want to spend health packs for a faster climb with iHulk? Do I want to put up an intimidating defensive wall that fends off most attackers,but leaves me exposed to Apocalypse? Do I want to fast hop with ThorKoye at the expense of getting tagged if I remain out too long?

What is everyone's feelings on this, and how far do you think we've come and how far do you feel we have left to go?

Comments

• wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    I will say this about the 5* tier.  In PVE it is diverse.  You can you gritty Kitty, Thor Okoye, 5ice on challenge nodes or Hawkey combos for the challenge node.

in PVP the BRB meta is currently a slog.  Maybe Apocalypse will change this but now it does not feel diverse at 800 points plus and it is extremely slow.  I see BRB/kitty or BRB/Bishop.

the question will be will Apocalypse be enough of an offensive weapon to not worry as much about defense.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,699 Chairperson of the Boards
    PvP is currently BRB + Bishop or BRB + Kitty.

PvE, I use the same teams every time unless I have some cheeky synergy with the boosted 5.

I don't find the tier to be diverse at all. There are still only a small handful of meta teams to use if you want to be anything more than a PvE-progression+PvP-900 player.
  • Vins2
    Vins2 Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    Yes, I know that the older 5* are currently still suffering and need to be looked at to bring them back into the fold, but the fact is that there will always be duds within any given tier, and that's an entirely different issue. 

The two points you're stating here are not related to each other.  
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    wymtime said:
    I will say this about the 5* tier.  In PVE it is diverse.  You can you gritty Kitty, Thor Okoye, 5ice on challenge nodes or Hawkey combos for the challenge node.

in PVP the BRB meta is currently a slog.  Maybe Apocalypse will change this but now it does not feel diverse at 800 points plus and it is extremely slow.  I see BRB/kitty or BRB/Bishop.

the question will be will Apocalypse be enough of an offensive weapon to not worry as much about defense.

I actually find BRB/Kitty and BRB/Bishop to be frustratingly slow and prefer to stick with ThorKoye, but it does mean I tend to take more hits, so I switch to one or the other after 900 or so.  Regardless, I'll take BRB/Kitty with ThorKoye all day - it's not a particularly hard match and only a little slower than, say, a mirror match.  It's Bishop that's the problem - any team with Bishop is one I'm leaving alone - the chance of a wipe is just too damn high.

Bishop has really messed up the meta, IMHO.  There's no good answer for him - any other team there's something you can take to defeat them.