Turn limited characters to normal

Mayo
Mayo Posts: 156 Tile Toppler
Someone can explain the reasoning behind limited characters? Even though they are not top material, they have interesting play options and right now do not serve purpose but only once a year. Some weeks ago a taskmaster bundle was offered, i guess that if he was a normal character that bundle would have had  better selling results. What do you think? 

Comments

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,729 Chairperson of the Boards
    The reasoning......when they launched Dino he was a joke character (still is) and making him Limited was a way to, I guess make him fun vs someone you get mad about pulling from your random Latests pull.

Howard is a little better - actually useful - but obviously a jokey character.  Same with Spider-Ham, although he's pretty worthless.  Taskmaster is a little better but his numbers are not great which I guess makes him balanced given the number of abilities he can choose from.

All making these characters un-Lmiited would do would be to increase the pack dilution (admittedly a small % now that we have 93 4 in packs already) and none of them are anything close to a game-changer or meta character.

Also, for newer people, they would have 4 more roster slots to buy if they wanted access to all the DDQ Behemoth Burrito nodes.

There is no reason, in my opinion, to make them un-Limited.

There are better suggestions for the devs to find ways to make more money, I think.
  • Mayo
    Mayo Posts: 156 Tile Toppler
    Taskmaster for instance seems better than a few 4*s and i would gladly invest in him if he where not limited.

Seems a waste of opportunity to have him for Just 1 event per year. 

Don't think it would take too much time coding him as un limited and launch a few bundles to test player interest.

Cheers! 
  • Tylander45
    Tylander45 Posts: 13 Just Dropped In
    Limited characters in the game gives an indicator they can use to gauge potential cheating.  You can’t get them through regular tokens so if someone has amassed a huge roster, but small to no limited characters, they could be cheating.
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2020
    turn horrible 4* characters into 3* characters!
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mayo said:
    Seems a waste of opportunity to have him for Just 1 event per year.
    Note that with the growing number of 4* characters in the game, one guaranteed event a year might not be so bad...
  • Rosraf
    Rosraf Posts: 113 Tile Toppler
    jredd said:
    turn horrible 4* characters into 3* characters!
    THAT is a great idea!  Relegation time.  Worst 5 3-stars become 2-stars.  Worst 10 4-stars become 3-stars.  Worst 5-star becomes a 4-star (and just keep their champ rewards the same for the first 6 months). 
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,699 Chairperson of the Boards
    The limited characters generally aren't good enough to get regular use even if they were easier to cover. They would be as much "just another character I never use unless I have to" as they are now. The only reason to want them is personal taste and there won't be enough people who share your devotion to a character for them to bother.

However, I do think their events should be more frequent. Instead of limiteds being harder to cover than a regular 4*, I would make them easier to cover. Make them stand out as easier to max-champ and an alternative chase target to the diluted group. They can be a way to sort of address the dilution problem without actually addressing it, since they don't seem motivated to solve that issue anytime soon.
  • StevO-J
    StevO-J Posts: 751 Critical Contributor
    Personally, I'm fine with Limited characters being... well, limited. But it wouldn't hurt to have them boosted once in a while, maybe they would see some actual use in PVE or something?

Make Howard a boosted character on Webbed Wonder, for instance. Not essential, just an extra boosted character on top of the ones boosted normally during a run. 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    The most fun limited character got to be Taskmaster, followed by Howard, Spider-Ham, Devil Dino, Bagman. Howard's abilities are actually good: good stun with ability to convert EST to basic tiles, board shake and invisibility. Spider-Ham equipped with Peni Parker support gives you 75% chance to stun a random opponent for 2 turn if they match your special tiles. What's more, he can stay airborne for 3 turns. 

I remember seeing some limited characters getting boosted in some of the PvPs.
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Apart from the PVPs where they are personally featured, I think I remember Taskmaster being boosted in the Nefarious Foes PVP.
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,769 Chairperson of the Boards
    I agree... boost them more often.  Make using them special for those that are dedicated/lucky enough to have acquired them.  

Maybe just make them ALWAYS boosted in OFF-SEASON events?  Could be a fun shake-up...?  I dunno, just spit-ballin' here.
  • captainheath
    captainheath Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    I also agree.  Taskmaster would be a lot of fun if you could build him more and feature him more.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,092 Chairperson of the Boards
    Maybe when (if?) we get Black Widow movie released we might get Taskmaster shards?
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well, the easiest solution would probably be to keep them limited but allow players to target them with shards. Something more interesting that I thought of though would be to create a new legendary token for 22 cp that has increased odds for limited characters and features a random assortment of five classic 5s each week. I would name it after Dr. Strange and have his face on the token. It could be called Dr. Strange's Strange pack.