what cards do you truly miss in standard?

Options
andrewvanmarle
andrewvanmarle Posts: 971 Critical Contributor
I was thinking how there are cards in the current sets that I'd wish would stay and then thought of someof the cards that I truly miss in standard that are legacy now.

And no not the OP cards like BSZ or Rishkar's Expertise, I mean the smaller but nore often used cards that have a lot of utility like Volcanic Upheaval or Gideon's defeat.

Cards I miss?

Volcanic Upheaval
Sylvan Scrying
Indomitable Will
Gideon's Defeat
Oath of Teferi
Fertile Thicket
Transgress the mind
Behold the Beyond
Altered ego
Prized Amalgam
Authority of the consuls
Saving Grace
Mastermind's aquisition
Vona's Hunger
Scapeshift
Viviens Invocation

I've purposefully tried to avoid mythics and the like, but if there were  an addendum to the origins set I'd love it to be these cards.

(and yes I'd love it if we could expand orgins with utility cards from all sets)

which cards do you miss most?

Comments

• jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Legacy utility cards* I enjoyed using...
    • Blue and black deserts
    • Pull From Tomorrow
    • Murder
    • Isolate
    • Green gem converter spells
    • Meteor Golem
    • Hour of Devastation
    • Fall of the Thran
    * (things that didn't win the game themselves and that went into a lot of my decks)

• FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2020
    Options
    I miss Summoners pact, except for those several times I got caught in a loop and auto-cast summoners pact until I killed myself  :D:'( 
  • ArielSira
    ArielSira Posts: 490 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Not counting mythics my first thought was Prism Array.

Others would be Storm the Vault or a solid green conversion card (Scapeshift, Shefet Monitor, Thunderherd Migration etc).

A decent vehicle for Saheeli.

Powerweenies like Glory Bound Initiate/Lone Rider.
  • andrewvanmarle
    Options
    Ooh lone rider, I remember being so happy to pull that one. 

And I miss rupture spire too
  • jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    critman said:
    White support removal
    You mean the kind that doesn't exile?
  • TomB
    TomB Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    edited April 2020
    Options
    He probably meant one that targets all supports, including lands, and doesn't cost a fortune in mana.

ArielSira said:
    Not counting mythics my first thought was Prism Array.

Others would be Storm the Vault or a solid green conversion card (Scapeshift, Shefet Monitor, Thunderherd Migration etc).

A decent vehicle for Saheeli.

Powerweenies like Glory Bound Initiate/Lone Rider.

I'd pass on Prism Array, personally, but I agree wholeheartedly on the rest, especially the powerweenies... :)
  • Heartstone
    Heartstone Posts: 233 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Murder
    Murder
    Murder
    And maybe, possibly Murder 😄
    And yes, green gem changers and other accellerators.
  • JopeX37
    JopeX37 Posts: 138 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Psychic Corrosion and Sorcerous Spyglass. They were central to a really mean Teferi control deck I used to run. It lost a ton in the last rotation, but everything else was replaceable except those two.

Gilded Lotus for Karn.

Good white support removal

Militia Bugler in Nahiri.
  • andrewvanmarle
    Options
    I played with Eliminate the competition today and I really miss it, even if I forgot it for a while.

Good for lifeloss conditions, a nice cheap equaliser and still balanced.

Honestly  i wish, i truly wish, we could have some of those cards back in standard again. 
    Not the big hitters, but the utility cards.

The same goes for cards that are in standard now like the mono colored lands and the (self) mill cards.

Now I know i'm only dreaming out loud but what if we had an anciliary Origins set? Someplace to leave a smal, handfull of cards, in standard while whe rest of the set rotates out?

by the time a set rotates, it should be clear if a card is meta warping or just a good staple utility.

We could call it: Origins: Across the Planes  (ok, lame i know, sue me)
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Sylvan Awakening
    The Zendikar dual lands (for some reason they always seemed to hit conversions more often than others for me)
    Gideon's Defeat
    Drowner of Hope (MVP for every event until standard became a thing)
    Faith of the Devoted
    Any green gem converters
    Empyreal Voyager and Minister of Inquiries (fantastic uncommon soft lock)
    Ambuscade
    The Cartouches (especially black and white)
    Expel from Orazca and Perilous Voyage
    Lone Rider
  • TheHunter
    TheHunter Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Etali, Primal Storm. (My first mythic, I still play it in everything I can, plundering the opponent's deck is joyful!)

Dinosaurs and Dragons generally.

Knight's Pledge, Demystify, and various 'powerweenies' 

Chainer's Torment (a great gamblers card)

But dinosaurs, all those great dinosaurs.
  • Mburn7
    Options
    Xucachris said:
    Etali, Primal Storm. (My first mythic, I still play it in everything I can, plundering the opponent's deck is joyful!)

If you like Etali and playing your opponent's deck, I have a fun one for you.  I used to have a Bolas steal-yo-deck deck that was so much fun to play because of the randomness of it all.

Etali
    Another creature that steals cards (there are several to choose from now)
    The Eldest Reborn
    Chaos Wand
    Mastermind's Acquisition
    Storm the Vault (of course)

Fill the rest with whatever you want.  Usually 2 kill spells, a draw spell, and another land support is my preference, but you do you.
    Its funny, but this isn't a super competitive deck EXCEPT in stuff like ToTP, since its power is basically equal to your opponent's deck and in ToTP you are almost always stealing super broken stuff (but something like Nodes of Power you might not be)
  • TheHunter
    TheHunter Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Mburn7 said:
    Xucachris said:

If you like Etali and playing your opponent's deck, I have a fun one for you.  I used to have a Bolas steal-yo-deck deck that was so much fun to play because of the randomness of it all.

Etali
    The Eldest Reborn
    Chaos Wand
    Mastermind's Acquisition

Fill the rest with whatever you want.  Usually 2 kill spells, a draw spell, and another land support is my preference, but you do you.
    Its funny, but this isn't a super competitive deck EXCEPT in stuff like ToTP, since its power is basically equal to your opponent's deck and in ToTP you are almost always stealing super broken stuff (but something like Nodes of Power you might not be)
    Looks fun, thanks . I've gone with:

Etali
    Thief of Sanity
    The Eldest Reborn
    Chaos Wand
    Mastermind's Acquisition
    Storm the Vault 
    Murder
    Deathsprout
    Castle Vantress (for the card draw)
    Demolish

Off to play in Training Grounds!
  • Mburn7
    Options
    Xucachris said:
    Mburn7 said:
    Xucachris said:

Etali
    The Eldest Reborn
    Chaos Wand
    Mastermind's Acquisition

Looks fun, thanks . I've gone with:

Etali
    Thief of Sanity
    The Eldest Reborn
    Chaos Wand
    Mastermind's Acquisition
    Storm the Vault 
    Murder
    Deathsprout
    Castle Vantress (for the card draw)
    Demolish

Off to play in Training Grounds!

Thief is my go-to #2 creature too.

Remember if its in the first slot you get 2 copies of the same card but if Etali is first you know what your opponent will draw (since Thief only copies the card)

Enjoy the carnage!!
  • andrewvanmarle
    Options
    Now here is some news completely in line with this thread:

3. Will there ever be another Origins set? Another rotation proof set that could be used to keep outdated Planeswalkers relevant with a few key cards for dead mechanics in standard. It could also somehow be used to bring their Mana bonuses up to a more usable level.

Answer: Probably ORI will remain as the only “evergreen” set. However, we have plans to add a new card pool to it, along with the potential rework mentioned in the previous answer.

Ignoring mythic and masterpiece powerhouses what should be in that set?

I'm hoping for a lot of the cards mentioned above. 
  • Mburn7
    Options
    Now here is some news completely in line with this thread:

3. Will there ever be another Origins set? Another rotation proof set that could be used to keep outdated Planeswalkers relevant with a few key cards for dead mechanics in standard. It could also somehow be used to bring their Mana bonuses up to a more usable level.

Answer: Probably ORI will remain as the only “evergreen” set. However, we have plans to add a new card pool to it, along with the potential rework mentioned in the previous answer.

Ignoring mythic and masterpiece powerhouses what should be in that set?

I'm hoping for a lot of the cards mentioned above. 

See I have mixed feelings about this.  On one hand, having a bunch of good cards that are always Standard make rotation easier for everyone (especially newer players) and lets us keep playing with our favorite cards forever.

The downside is that it makes decks less different.  Already there are some Origins cards (most notably Gaia) that go in every deck they can reasonably fit in.  If a card like Murder is always Standard, it becomes very hard to make a Black deck that doesn't have it.  If enough of these staple cards are in Standard, then every deck of each color starts to look and feel the same, which isn't really fun or interesting.
  • andrewvanmarle
    edited May 2020
    Options
    I get what you mean @Mburn7

It's a fine line between inundating the game with similar cards and missing out cards that will make strategies possible.

Your example with the kill cards is a good one, we allready have one in origins, so no need for another evergreen (or it should have a big fat drawback like sever the strands or eliminate the competition)

Current standard cards I'd like to see in there are the milling cards for instance: they allow for strategies with ashiok,Kaya but also general graveyard shenanigans.

In lands i'd like to see the mono color lands or the gates stay.

I'd like atleast one exile stay (thinking vindicate, since it is B/W)

And I think we could do with some cards that keep certain mechanics alive even when the setrotates out of standard, especially when it links to a PW  (im thinking of you elspeth 2)