Those with a stash built up, when are you going to pull ?

tonypq
tonypq Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
edited April 2020 in MPQ General Discussion

For anyone with a significant stash built up, when do you think you'll open it up and pull on something ?

I've built up a stash but aggravatingly I'm not tempted to open it up for anything, especially with the LL scene we have today and for quite some time going forward. The only 5* in LL i'm interested in is Hulk, he's my favorite super hero. It's a bummer having to wait for both Sinister/Havoc to leave LL, then Yelena coming later isn't super exciting to me either.

Waiting for Sinister/Havoc/Yelena to leave LL is a long wait. No telling if the 5s after Yelena are even going to be any good. As long as it takes to build up a stash, you really don't want to open it up for just some ok characters. Ones you might not ever bother using aside from being boosted or in some lame broken team for fun. However my stash is still burning a hole in my pocket heh.

It just seems this game has gotten to a point of dilution even at the 5* level, that with the select few "meta" characters others aren't even worth your time or resources. Which is sad especially for new 5*s, they are so lackluster upon entry to LL that many players would never bother using them. Many of us only pull to get one cover to collect all characters or to have that one cover to do the PVE node.

LL is still a good opportunity for new players of course. Those entering 5* land to at least get a trio of 5s to tackle higher PVE tiers and climb higher in PVP if they do any. But for others with rosters built up and quite a of the better 5s already, the LL store is a big downer these days. I really wish there was a feature to convert LL tokens into CPs. That way for players who don't need anything in LL's or the offering are just super meh, at least you could convert some LL tokens to CPs and spend on a store with something you actually want or need.

Comments

• Omegased
    Omegased Posts: 594 Critical Contributor

Yea, I'm struggling with this as well. I currently have 11 5stars champed (Profx, Iceman, Storm, Kitty Pryde, Loki, OML, Black Bolt, Strange, Thanos, Cable, Archangel)

I want iHulk, he sounds like a lot of fun. I currently have 103 LL, and approx 1250CP saved. I don't really care about Yelena either, and now with the Okoye (2/5/1 with 600 shards)/Panther( 2/1/1) in the pop up store next week, I'm VERY tempted to try cover Okoye...

so that means, I'll miss out on iHulk. completely.

These first world problems are killing it for me.

• krakenoon
    krakenoon Posts: 355 Mover and Shaker

I mean, can’t we just drop the Latest part of the tokens? Sure, there is a value difference, but I’m pretty sure most of us would be ok with losing some value for additional classics pulls.

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards

@Omegased said:
    Yea, I'm struggling with this as well. I currently have 11 5stars champed (Profx, Iceman, Storm, Kitty Pryde, Loki, OML, Black Bolt, Strange, Thanos, Cable, Archangel)

I want iHulk, he sounds like a lot of fun. I currently have 103 LL, and approx 1250CP saved. I don't really care about Yelena either, and now with the Okoye (2/5/1 with 600 shards)/Panther( 2/1/1) in the pop up store next week, I'm VERY tempted to try cover Okoye...

so that means, I'll miss out on iHulk. completely.

These first world problems are killing it for me.

Huh, you have an interesting definition of fun. IH sounds likes a roster trainwreck to me. Who wants to burn healthpacks or cycle through the roster page for fresh fodder every match or two?

I am likely not going to pull fore more than token covers with the current set. neither sinister nor yelena seems particularly compelling. So unless IH is absolutely must-have in PVP, I think one can skip the current 5*s (other than token covers of course), with minimal pain.

• krakenoon
    krakenoon Posts: 355 Mover and Shaker

@Vhailorx
    Vulture and a few other choice toons are perfect for an iHulk team. Add a loaner in PvP and you’re good to go. I have a distinct feeling he will really move the bar on the meta. Some people are rostering him with just green covers.

Not that I want to tell you how to play, just there are options besides health pack health pack health pack for using him.

• wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards

For the OP to consider. There are a couple of ways to hoard for latest 5*. One wait till you get 300+ tokens and look to get all 3 5* then hoard again. This will get you al lot of 5* in the 450-470 range.

Option 2 wait till you have enough pulls to get 3 5* to 550 which is around 10k pulls then you wait for 3 new meta characters in latest and pull till you get all 3 at 550.

Lastly just hoard till a new 5* goes into packs then pull you will end up with a lot of 450-455 5*.

I typically hoard and when I get above 300 I pull when the character goes into latest. I will also look at 5* I think are weak and try and get them to 450 and stop. So I pulled for Hulk and now I will wait for Havok to leave packs to pull again. I should get a Hulk to really high level Yelena to 450 then when Yelena leaves pull again.

• Vhailorx

@krakenoon said:
    @Vhailorx
    Vulture and a few other choice toons are perfect for an iHulk team. Add a loaner in PvP and you’re good to go. I have a distinct feeling he will really move the bar on the meta. Some people are rostering him with just green covers.

Not that I want to tell you how to play, just there are options besides health pack health pack health pack for using him.

I put my time in using vulture + thanos (+DD) back on the day. That kind of micro-management in not fun for me when I plan to grind 60+ matches every day.

• wymtime

@Vhailorx said:

@krakenoon said:
    @Vhailorx

I put my time in using vulture + thanos (+DD) back on the day. That kind of micro-management in not fun for me when I plan to grind 60+ matches every day.

I know you don’t like IHulk and the idea of him using up so many health packs. As someone who has him at level 420 with 7 saved green covers I will say he is in readable useful.

In current PVE Thor Okoye IHulk is crushing wave nodes with his AOE buffed by Okoye and under leveled means he does no team damage.in PVP with a meta of BRB Kitty every where IHulk Kitty rips through them. Yea you will use a health pack or 2 every 2-3 matches but it is not bad. Also those matcha go way faster than a mirror match.

Lastly shield hopping. IHulk Thanos teams are extremely fast with IHulk AOE and court death and IHulks red to kill bigger targets.

IHulk might not be an every match character like Okoye Thor combo. He definitely has uses in the game for many play styles and from my point of view with such a defensive Meta of BRB/Kitty any character that helps me chew threw that faster is a welcome relief

• Vhailorx
    edited April 2020

@wymtime said:

@Vhailorx said:

@krakenoon said:
    @Vhailorx

I know you don’t like IHulk and the idea of him using up so many health packs. As someone who has him at level 420 with 7 saved green covers I will say he is in readable useful.

In current PVE Thor Okoye IHulk is crushing wave nodes with his AOE buffed by Okoye and under leveled means he does no team damage.in PVP with a meta of BRB Kitty every where IHulk Kitty rips through them. Yea you will use a health pack or 2 every 2-3 matches but it is not bad. Also those matcha go way faster than a mirror match.

Lastly shield hopping. IHulk Thanos teams are extremely fast with IHulk AOE and court death and IHulks red to kill bigger targets.

IHulk might not be an every match character like Okoye Thor combo. He definitely has uses in the game for many play styles and from my point of view with such a defensive Meta of BRB/Kitty any character that helps me chew threw that faster is a welcome relief

Oh, I think he will be quite good. Either pvp meta or just behind it, and I already use my own 1/0/0 IH with thorkoye frequently in cl10 pve. I personally don't like that style of play, but that is another question entirely.

• Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,790 Chairperson of the Boards

I’m at 760 pulls in cp and LTs currently. Waiting for ihulk Yelena and who comes next. Wasn’t interested in Havok or sinister. I definitely want hulk.

• Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2020

What does your roster look like currently? Like where about are your characters leveled? I say that because that’s a ton of pulls! You could probably just champ them all.

I have Havok at 450 and by the end of the day with PVE shards will have Sin done at 453. So I’m sitting tight after I get a Yelena cover until Sin/Havok rotate out.

After Sinister, I’ll have 34 5* champs and Thor done but purposely unchamped. So excluding Thor, my champs range from 450-465. Mean is 455.6. Median is 455.5 (wow). Feeders will probably get Havok/Sinister in-line with my average depending on who feeds them

My thought process is this- if I hoard to chase a few characters to level 500 or 550, I’ll be matched up against other 500/550 rosters in the same MMR. I’ll then have to play those few characters all the time. Whereas, if I baby champ everyone, I will be matched up against other baby champ rosters. Only I will have a ton of tools at my disposal, and can create fun teams/combos where I don’t get burnt out playing the same match over and over. Not to mention it is nice having the 5E champed for PVP!

• Daredevil217

Yeah that was for Tony. Curious what levels his 19 champs are at.

And I agree it’s all about what gives you pleasure in this game! For me being hamstrung to 3-6 characters would be the death of the game for me. Sure I’d win a ton. But I’d win covers/shards for characters that wouldn’t be better than my three 550s. Not saying one way is better than another. I absolutely get the appeal of winning a ton; even if the rewards are meaningless.

• BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 1,232 Chairperson of the Boards

Right now im at 320 pulls. Im waiting until the latest legend pack is iHulk, yelena, whoever comes next.

• Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,790 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2020

Yeah that was for Tony. Curious what levels his 19 champs are at.

All low level. I'm completely happy with 450's and the MMR that gives me. Sadly the highest for me are all the worst due to bad hoard breaks giving me 10 extra covers on the one I didn't want out of the three.

So:

Rescue 464, Carnage and KP 459. Everyone else of my champs are 450-457.

Bolt, Cable, Hela, Storm, Gambit, JJ, Kitty, Parker, Loki, Thor, DD, Okoye, Strange, BSSM, BRB. My okoye doesn't and never will tank for Thor and it's never given me issues. Neither has CL10 with those 5*s.

I've never needed more than Thor and Okoye in all honesty, which is why I have over 1000 health packs. I either play CL10 or 8 when I'm working. Since drawing for Thor in Loki's release vault there is only perhaps BRB who is of any real use. Which is why I'm happy to let slide ones I'm not bothered about. It also means I don't feel any real CP pressure. The game is very enjoyable to me. I'm not stressed about targets or time CL10 takes.

Of all the ones I've not got champed I would like to add, Iceman for CL10 and Clint for fun. None of the others matter to me at all. I don't even put iso into them. If by magic a rework happens or meta changes that I will chase them.

4* I intend to just favourite the highest and park at 350. With there being so many four stars I can then allow those last 20 covers to fall naturally and not give myself ISO pressure or slot pressure for dupes. But as I don't pull as much as most 4* dupe and slot pressure shouldn't really ever hit me. Most of mine are 330-300 range. Only four are over 330 and this is by design.

I have 9m ISO so just champ the fours and fives when I want. We all want different things from the game but I'm loving it right now.

• Daredevil217
    Thanks for the clarification! I just thought you would rather have a couple big characters. It seems now you just don’t bank enough pulls to champ everyone and so are selective with who you champ (and are ultimately okay with it). I think it’s smart to be selective like that.

I’d add Professor and maybe Doom to your Iceman/Hawkeye list (and of course iHulk), but overall that’s a great roster. 

I started seriously chasing 5s when Daredevil was about to leave Latests. Since he debuted I believe I let two people slide myself as I was worried I wouldn’t have the pulls to champ who came later. Those were Rescue and Wasp (good selects if I do say so myself). In retrospect I probably could have finished them back then, but the peace of mind was worth letting them go. 

Although now, Rescue is arguably the best classic I don’t have champed and ironically, she is my shardget. I’m realizing just how tough it is to backtrack when you let someone slide lol. But obviously she and the other classics I have unchamped are more like fun side projects to work on than must have roster additions. 
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2020
    I have around 200-220 pulls right now, so for me it is obvious I need to wait until at the very least Havok is going to be replaced, but most probably I will go for ihulk, selena and whoever comes next. Said that I don’t like Yelena that much, so even though I like Hulk depending who comes next I might have to keep waiting (for PvE I already have 3 covers for iHulk, so I can already use him with thoryoke, so maybe I should pull a couple more covers and just stop and use him with those two).

I was hoping for another 2 good 5s with ihulk but now I will be happy if at least the next one after Yelena is good :( It should not be that hard getting 3 good 5s together but it certainly is.
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    edited April 2020
    Two stashes:

First, LL tokens. 230 saved. I pull when a new 5* enters until I get one cover and then stop. If they look like they might be meta, I'll break the hoard. I did this when Beta Ray Bill was in Latests and got him (and Sinister) to 13 covers. Unfortunately the Carnage covers were stingy so he's only at 7.

Second, CP: 3302 saved. I've got a save one, pull one approach (see full details below if you're interested). I have ranked the 5* that are needed for current meta play, and the only 2 I still need to get to 13 covers are Thor and Hawkeye (I used to have Thanos on that list but took him off). So the next Thor or Hawkeye vault and I'll bust the hoard (wouldn't it be nice if it was both in the same vault!).

Details: For any special vault, the chance of pulling a 5* is 15% and the cost is 25 per pull so the average cover costs 167 CP ( 25 / 15% ). However, not all those covers are "usable" (meaning I would not have to save them) because some of my 5* are already at 13 covers and others are at less than 13 overall but have certain color covers at 5.

There are 39 classic 5*s in the game x 3 covers each = 117 unique classic covers. Since I have 5 classic characters already at 13 and another 7 covers where I have 5, there are 5 x 3 + 7 = 22 covers out of those 117 that would be unusable for me. That means only 1 - 22 / 117 = 81.2% are usable. So the chance of pulling a usable color 5* would be 81.2% x 15% = 12.2%, or an average pull cost of 25 / 12.2% = 205 CP.

So let's say I start at 1,000 CP. I'll save until I get to 1,205, then pull classics until I get a usable cover. No matter how many pulls it takes, I then start saving again until I get to 1,205 + 205 = 1,410 and repeat the process.

I'm not suggesting this is somehow the "right" strategy, and can poke holes in my logic myself, but this gives me a nice balance of pulling once in a while in addition to building a big enough stash to take advantage of special vaults, which has allowed me to get both a 13 cover Kitty at 5/5/3 (unchamped) and a 13 cover Okoye at 5/5/3 (unchamped).

EDIT: fixed some math.
  • tonypq
    edited April 2020
    So I decided to try one LL pull and got a 5IH red cover, happy about that. I'd like to keep pulling until I get a black and green cover, then stop until Sinister/Havoc rotate out to finish Hulk, but I fear RNG. I really don't want Sinister or Havoc and don't want to reduce my stash, afraid I'll go on a run where I get only Siniter/Havoc covers while chasing Hulks black/green. Although I don't have a single cover for Sinister or Havoc. 

This is the OPs 5 roster, the 5s fully covered are Professor, BRB, Hela, Captain Marvel, GED, Thanos. Then at 7 plus covers OML, BP, IM, Carnage, SS, Gambit. My Thor only has 3 covers, Kitty 4, Okoye 3. 
  • wymtime
    Tony_Foot said:

I’m at 760 pulls in cp and LTs currently. Waiting for ihulk Yelena and who comes next. Wasn’t interested in Havok or sinister. I definitely want hulk.

So with 760 pulls you have a lot of choices.  You can pull now till you have Sinister within 3 covers of champ and when he gets a feeder be able to champ him.  You can do the same when Yelena goes into packs.  When Havok leaves you can still pull your hoard or pull till IHulk is champed.

it really comes down to how many pulls you can generate between when 5* go in packs.

now if you hold till Havok leaves and let’s say you get 1000 pulls at that time.  At a 15% draw rate you would get 150 5* covers.  That would be 50 covers of IHulk or take him to 487.  Along with Yelena and new 5*.

With what you described as your play style I would think covering more 6* is your style and think about setting up Sinister and Havok to be finished with feeders rather than going for a 480+ 5*
  • wymtime
    edited April 2020
    OJSP said:
    wymtime said:
    With what you described as your play style I would think covering more 6* is your style and think about setting up Sinister and Havok to be finished with feeders rather than going for a 480+ 5*
    I think Tony is not a completionist. He's not going to change his plans whatever we say.. :lol: (but maybe he's waiting for the first 6* before busting that hoard.. ;) )
    😂 got to love mobile keyboards.  At this point if they introduced 6* it would probably take 1000 tokens to cover
  • tonypq
    Made one LL pull last week and got IH red cover, thought I'd quit. But with how much longer I plan to hoard for Sinister and Havoc to leave, thought I'd pull some more. Wanted to get a IH green and black cover. Pulled 23 times, got 3 Havoc and 1 Simisrer cover, no IH. I didn't have a single cover for Havoc/Sinister so it's not bad. But decided to quit right there after 23 pulls and no Hulk covers.