Snipers unite

Da_momma
Da_momma Posts: 4 Just Dropped In
Is there a post about snipers, for snipers, uniting snipers that wanna snipe. Hehe

Comments

• abenness
    abenness Posts: 228 Tile Toppler
    Lol.  You could try writing a getting-started-as-a-sniper guide.  But I think posting on the forums that a juicy target is out hopping might not be quick enough for others to catch them.
  • Da_momma
    I’ve seen a few in here that may be interested in joining a team of us. Gotta stick together ya know. 😁
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,411 Chairperson of the Boards
    Da_momma said:
    I’ve seen a few in here that may be interested in joining a team of us. Gotta stick together ya know. 😁
    If the shooter film is anything to go by, snipers dont stick together. Heck, in the movie, they even snipe each other
  • A_Wise_Man
    A_Wise_Man Posts: 153 Tile Toppler

@Pongie said:
    (Quote)
    If the shooter film is anything to go by, snipers dont stick together. Heck, in the movie, they even snipe each other

In this game snipers snipe each other as well....at least the good ones do. The good ones are few and far between these days though.

• Jacklag
    Jacklag Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker

I don't know what snipers do in this game, but if it's anything like FPS gamers I figure they'll not be very popular.

• Da_momma

So our goal is to make the game a fun and enjoyable experience for everyone. We do this by allowing each person to play freely within the constructs of what he/she is able to do.
    And typically everyone loves us all the more for it.

• A_Wise_Man

@Jacklag said:
    I don't know what snipers do in this game, but if it's anything like FPS gamers I figure they'll not be very popular.

...depends on who you ask, really (as far as what snipers do). In the old days, real snipers worked to keep points low in the shard they played in (or at least intentionally hit people that are unshielded). They'd set up rooms on Line similar to shield check rooms but with the purpose of collaborating to have multiple people hitting anyone shield hopping. Some people still do this, but mostly in s2 and s5 where that is the culture anyway. Some folks consider anyone who free plays pvp and doesn't do shield checks and (this is important!) can affect the players that do use the shield checks rooms to be snipers, especially if they hit the same target more than once. These players are usually 5 star players, though I suppose some 4 star players coordinate and have their own group of folks that they consider "snipers". To me, this doesn't qualify. Those people are just playing the game the way it's intended. It's supposed to be player vs player, not player vs the pvp mafia who decide who ranks and who doesn't.

To answer the second part of your question...no, snipers are not very popular at all. On the other hand, they probably have more fun than the folks watching a shield check room for hours (yes, hours!) to see if someone's going to put out a cupcake team for them.

• Rod5
    Rod5 Posts: 587 Critical Contributor

@A_Wise_Man said
    (yes, hours!)

So sitting and skipping collectively for days on end (yes, days!) to target specific individuals is in some way more noble? Not to mention dumping points to hit for more.

Either that or there are leaks from shield check rooms, but as everyone always says there aren’t leaks I can only presume these folk are just skipping/refreshing brackets the whole time they are playing.

Sniping is way more time-consuming than front-running even. It takes a special kind of person, take that as you will.

• krakenoon
    krakenoon Posts: 355 Mover and Shaker

@OJSP
    Thanks for the insight.
    I for one enjoy snipers since my roster is at a weird place where I have to use a winning team & leave a losing team out so I can get my win based rewards. I would love to be able to chase points and just call it there, hopefully reducing my time spent but I doubt I’ll ever get there. I’m happy with occasionally placing well while chasing 25 wins in whatever PvP I can for now. Working on being happy chasing metas & likely never leveling my 5 star toons...

• A_Wise_Man

@Rod5 said:

@A_Wise_Man said
    (yes, hours!)

So sitting and skipping collectively for days on end (yes, days!) to target specific individuals is in some way more noble? Not to mention dumping points to hit for more.

Either that or there are leaks from shield check rooms, but as everyone always says there aren’t leaks I can only presume these folk are just skipping/refreshing brackets the whole time they are playing.

Sniping is way more time-consuming than front-running even. It takes a special kind of person, take that as you will.

Depends. If people are playing that way then sure. But like I said, lots of players are called snipers because they don't do shield checks. And several of those only play for like an hour at most per event.

• ArchusMonk
    ArchusMonk Posts: 203 Tile Toppler

This discussion is interesting to me. I play by myself. I’m in an alliance of one. I’ve been playing PvP for about 9 months. I often wondered if there is some etiquette to it. Because I just entered 4* land, I play almost exclusively for progression, that means I need 75 wins if I want the shards at that level. To achieve that many wins, I just need to hit whomever I can, whenever I can. That means I’m sometimes hitting the same team multiple times during a climb because they happen to be queued. I personally pay almost no attention to the names of people that beat me, but I’ve often wondered if others do pay attention and if they can tell I’ve beat them a few times and if they get upset about that fact. I feel like I’m just trying to get to 50 or 75 wins, and that’s time consuming enough without having to worry about other people’s feelings. If you see me out there, feel free to hit me if you need the wins or points. If I hit you a few times, I’m sorry. It’s nothing personal. I’m just trying to achieve my win count.

• ursopro
    ursopro Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker

@Da_momma said:
    Is there a post about snipers, for snipers, uniting snipers that wanna snipe. Hehe

I would like to help you kind sir/madam, PM me the pertinent information.

Thanks.

• Da_momma

@ursopro said:

@Da_momma said:

I would like to help you kind sir/madam, PM me the pertinent information.

Thanks.

Would be a pleasure. Hehe, I’ll msg you via line.

• ArchusMonk

@OJSP said:
    Interesting article about "not taking it personally" http://www.nischwitzgroup.com/dont-take-it-personally/ . Here's a snippet:

Today, I want to focus on another phrase that does not pay, and I’m encouraging you to dump it from your conversations and organizations starting today.

Don’t take it personally.

You know what I’m talking about. A manager is about to give you feedback and says, “Don’t take it personally.” A friend is about to say something to you and says, “Don’t take it personally.” The person speaking may feel better using this phrase, but it doesn’t help the recipient at all. In fact, when someone tells you to not take it personally, they’re actually saying something like the following:

“Get ready. I’m about to tell you something that you will almost certainly take personally, and it IS personal. And I don’t want to deal with an unpleasant reaction or have you not like me. I just want to tell you this and have everything be okay.”

Thanks a lot!

When someone says they don’t want you to take something personally, that’s really about the speaker. They don’t want you to take it personally so that they can feel that the relationship is protected and so they don’t have to worry (as much) that you won’t like them or that you will be defensive. This phrase is most definitely for the benefit of the speaker, not the recipient.

I think that article is interesting and accurate in the context for which it is written, which appears to be interpersonal relationships and conversations. However, I don’t know that it applies In this instance where I’m addressing people I don’t know and don’t really have a relationship with. I have no relationship to protect, and I don’t care if the people I hit don’t like me or get defensive. I don’t even pay attention to their names and don’t care if they feel the need to take revenge and retaliate. This is truly an instance where things aren’t personal. I’m just picking from what the game offers me, if it’s a team I think I can beat, regardless of team name. I do think it’s admirable that you try not to hit people too frequently, and if 75 wins didn’t take so long, I might try to play that way, too.

• Rod5
    Rod5 Posts: 587 Critical Contributor

@A_Wise_Man said:

@Rod5 said:

@A_Wise_Man said
    (yes, hours!)

Depends. If people are playing that way then sure. But like I said, lots of players are called snipers because they don't do shield checks. And several of those only play for like an hour at most per event.

Yes that’s true, plenty are called snipers when all they are doing is climbing and hitting the biggest beatable qs they can find. Lord knows I do the same in the last 30 minutes in S1.

But that said, I would always join a late bracket as I don’t want to take any sort of placement rewards from people who’ve been playing hard to build points all event and made sure I can climb quickly to 1.2+.

• ArchusMonk

@Daredevil217 said:
    I strongly disagree with most of what you wrote and the quote you posted. The part I agree with is not telling people how to feel. I won’t say, “don’t take this personal” (people can choose to take things however they want), but I will absolutely say “this isn’t personal” or “it isn’t about you”.

That part in parentheses is key. People have a choice. People can choose to be offended and continue to put themselves in that victim place. “He/she made me mad!”. They only “make” you mad if you empower them to do so.

Anyway; I could riff on this idea for much longer but will cut it here. Just wanted to give another perspective.

Thank you. In just a couple sentences you crystallized my perspective. When I hit people, it’s not personal on my end. However, the person getting hit can take it any way they want, and if they do take it personally, then I’m sorry for that. I just look for teams in my queue that I feel I can beat regardless of name.