New Game Mode - Different Board Sizes!

Options
KGB
KGB Posts: 2,939 Chairperson of the Boards
edited April 2020 in MPQ General Discussion
So anyone see the new game mode announcement?

Different board sizes (10x10 all the way to 32x32). Not sure how anyone on a phone like me is going to be able to swap in 32x32 mode with micro sized tiles.

But they are leaving powers AS IS. So characters like 3/4 Blade who do X based on tiles will be insanely powered up which means he will always be placing strikes every turn. Imagine XForce Wolvie's Black. Even with just a few covers in Black and leveled up even remotely will be able to do close to 100K in damage on a 32x32 board (which is 1000 tiles / 8 = 100 black tiles to destroy plus cascades).

Going to be massive shakeups to powers if they don't tone down those that do X based on Y tiles on the board.

KGB

Comments

• Nabistay
    Nabistay Posts: 146 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Is that an april fools joke? I know it is in game, but today? It sounds awesome.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I suspect it is

KGB
  • First21
    First21 Posts: 87 Match Maker
    Options
    it may be tinny tiny for a phone but if you have an iPad or the biggest iPad you will be able to play this mode 
  • Phill_C
    Phill_C Posts: 13 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Saw it too but com’on it HAS to be a April’s fool, we’d have to use a microscope on top of ur phone to see matches not to mention use a toothpick to move tiles without screwing yourself over :D
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,711 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Prof x would have been the new meta.
  • JangoLore
    JangoLore Posts: 126 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I want to try it just once.......
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,165 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
     Domino/2* Magneto/Profe$$or X would be comedy gold
  • tonypq
    tonypq Posts: 549 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Seems like a April fools joke to me. Although it wouldn't hurt to have a random event with a larger board like this just for fun and something to do. 

If this is real then it would be a fun and interesting diversion from the main game portions. Having a variety of things to do rather than just grind slices never hurts. 
  • qandols
    qandols Posts: 1,160 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    April fools...

• RentedPanda
    RentedPanda Posts: 95 Match Maker
    Options
    That definitely made me laugh, especially the 3x3 grid with one possible match.  Thank you to whoever put that together for the chuckle.
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2020
    Options

There is a video of them playing the new mode (mobile UI with a mouse, apparently):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-rii1MzLWE

The rest of the April Fools joke is here: https://d3go.helpshift.com/a/marvel-puzzle-quest/?s=news&f=new-game-mode---deadpool-s-gempool-4-1-20&l=en

• IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,313 Site Admin
    Options
    As posted in another thread, the video itself was done on an actual PC dev build, just with the Ui set to mobile style. So it *is* technically workable!
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Going to have to buy a stylus to avoid fat finger moves.
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Notice that Gwenpool's "destroying row #1" power stops at the eighth tile on the first row, like normal... all the powers would have to be redesigned to cope with shifting board sizes too. Not to mention AP costs, it would be very easily to max out AP from a couple of cascades....

Great joke and an even better "working" proof-of-concept though!
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It definitely should be its own mode. It could be like the Zen mode for Bejeweled where you can keep making matches until you get bored and quit.