Max-champing the 3* tier - who was your first, who was your last? Any surprises?

PuceMoose
PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
Last night I achieved one of my long-term MPQ goals - max-champing the 3* tier! It will be no surprise that Angel was the last 3* to be max-champed for me, considering he was (I think) the most recent 3* to be released. 

Punisher was my first *champion*, but I found it surprising that I max-champed at least twenty other 3* before him. For some reason the covers just dried up for him, even though I had an avalanche of Patch (my first max-champed 3*), Captain America, and Ragnarok for a while. Mystique also seemed to take forever, and I finished her only a few weeks before Angel (even after Gambit, Strange, Star Lord, Hawkeye, and Elektra)

How about you? I suspect most people finished off Angel as the final max-champ, but with bonus heroes (and now shards), that may not be the case for everybody.

If you haven't finished off the 3* star tier yet, feel free to chime in with your first champion, your first completely covered 3*, or even any 3* that made you go crazy at some point. I remember going *nuts* to finish 3* Doctor Doom (even before he had his third power), and looking back now I can't quite remember why. I guess I was excited about those attack tiles. 

Comments

• JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    This happened for me a long time ago. At this point, I'm working on finishing up champing the 5's, so I was working on my 3's in an entirely different era of the game.

First of all, I was playing pre-champ, and back before SCLs, where PVE scaled according to your roster (also, thankfully, this was before 5's existed to monkey up that scaling).

So my 3's were softcapped, to prevent my PVE from getting more difficult. This meant I had loads of extra ISO, because I wasn't spending it.

Ultimately, this means that when the champing system was introduced, I immediately champed several characters. Black Widow, Captain America, Cyclops, Luke Cage, Daredevil, and Psylocke. Luke Cage was likely "first", because he was my first 3* character at all, but that group was all champed at the same time.

My "last" would be Quicksilver. I always had trouble finding covers for him (once I had enough HP to give him his own roster slot, at least; and I'm pretty sure I sold him with a few covers more than once to keep a more valuable 4*). There was a large gap when no 3's were coming out, and then we got Doctor Strange with the first dual 3/5 release (followed by Thanos, Star Lord, Elektra, Gambit, and Angel), and arguably there was a time when I had all 3's champed except for the new one, and so each of them would have had a turn being "last", but Quicksilver was the last one when I was actively working on my 3's (as opposed to just keeping up with new releases).
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    My first max champed 3* was R3G. I set him as my BH because I was preparing to deal with the terrifying Medusa/R4G/GotG meta in 4* land shield simulator. That was back in late 2018.

It worked out fine because he was full healing himself while tanking yellow matches for IM40. It helped me to push beyond the mythical 1700-1800 points in shield simulator.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think my first was Cap and the last was Angel.
  • itsuka7
    itsuka7 Posts: 109 Tile Toppler
    I am still finishing my first batch of 266’s, only 10 to go. My first ones to reach the goal were Magneto and Doc Strange. The Hood will probably be last, he is always lagging behind, was my last to champ too.

As I farm the 3*, I replace most of them with a newly champed version, except for a few that I really want to keep around maxed, so I will most likely not have a full row of all 266’ed 3*... though I might expand the list of fully doubled 3* in the next round if hp allows and I am ever going to be post-iso. Currently, I need my iso for champing my 4*, so doubling all is not viable.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,092 Chairperson of the Boards
    My first was Patch and my last was Angel. The biggest surprise was that I succeeded max champing Magneto twice before Angel - guess the 2* shards ramped that up. I am currently working on max champing Thor a second time.
  • Phill_C
    Phill_C Posts: 13 Just Dropped In
    My first was dr strange (back when bonus covers was around) and last vision (don’t hate me for it, I know already) though for some reason my Psylocke took a massive leap ahead despite not really using her that much :/ 
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    My first 3* champ was Captain America, and he was also my first to max out. My last in both categories was Punisher. Not for any particular reason, just due to RNG. I think I maxed and flipped both Cap and Patch twice before I maxed Punisher even for the first time.
  • Supravenbull
    Supravenbull Posts: 30 Just Dropped In
    First 3s max champ was captain America though my first champ was Luke cage. Last max champ was angel which isn't surprising as he was the last 3s added. However I was still champing 3s when he was released and even sold 3s spiderman when he was reworked and started over and still finished spidey first. When I finished angel, 3s cap was already 10 covers away from.maxing out again, without favorites or sharding. And as of today cap is only my only 2 time 3s max champ 
  • Rhipf
    Rhipf Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    I'm not sure who my first max champ 3* was but it was probably either Doc Stranger or Black Panther. I still have 8 more 3*s to max champ and then I can champ my roster of 4*s (I could do them now but want to finish all 3*s first). As it stands now either Angel or Psylocke will be my last max 3* unless I decide to favourite one of them. The are both at 247 and so hopefully it won't take too long to get the rest of the 3* tier to max champ status.
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    First was Strange. Back when I was a 3* player, no character was more important to getting through PvE and with fewer healthpacks than Strange, so he was favorited. Thanos was a close 2nd (and my 2nd max champ).

Last was Quicksilver. For reasons I can't explain, his covers were harder to come by than any of my other 3*, including Angel who was introduced last.
  • RentedPanda
    RentedPanda Posts: 95 Match Maker
    My first champ was colossus, followed by beast and doom.  I used to use that combo a lot for deadpools daily as I built up my 3s.  Rags was my first max champ, and is just ahead of Captain Marvel in making their second max champ.  I still have about 6 yet to max, with Angel bringing up the rear.  Rags may pass, but I think there is about a 20 cover gap,  so I doubt it. 
  • iron-n-wine
    iron-n-wine Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    Black Widow was first, Beast was last. Rechamped BW is almost back up to 266 and I’ve only just started building a dupe for beast, so he’s almost been lapped.
  • Loosie
    Loosie Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker

Today I max champed my last 3*....Angel. Magneto was my first, and his dupe is almost maxed as well he's at 252 right now.

• ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards

My first max champ was 3* Captain Marvel (via bonus hero in an attempt to champ 4* Carol) with the last being Mystique (somehow the first 3* I got 13 covers for, was the last I got 113 covers for). The biggest surprise was that two of my first four max champ 3's were IM40 & Hawk-Guy--neither benefitted from bonus heroes and both owe their rapid rise to super farmer 2 Hawkeye, who fed both at various times. It would not be an exaggeration to say that 2* Hawkeye paced the next highest 2* farmed character by 3-4 flips during my 3* max-champing phase.

• Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor

my first one was Punisher- then Magneto who was a power house back then before they nerfed him.

• LucasRaven
    LucasRaven Posts: 47 Just Dropped In

My first 3 star champ is Doctor Strange, with my second being Ragnarok. That's all I got so far. Doctor Strange is useful as hell, and Ragnarok when beefed up is a nice option to feed him blue.

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,699 Chairperson of the Boards

I want to say Strange was first and Elektra was last. But I've cycled through them a bunch at this point. My memory isn't 100%.

• peterdark
    peterdark Posts: 151 Tile Toppler

Still working on Max champing all the 3*'s but Magneto was first by far, even without ever BH'ing him. Currently Sentry is looking like he's going to be last to max champ, but Angel, Beast and Vision are sitting only 4 levels above him.