Short term gain, long term failure

Today I'll be on day 207 and I hate to say it but I don't know if I'll make it to day 210, even with that daredevil reward icon_e_wink.gif

I'm tired of feeling like the devs are herding me. I'm tired of the inequality of the game (steam/mobile). I'm tired of the lack of consistency. I'm tired of the lack of communication. I'm tired of the nerfs. I'm tired of devs thinking us players are dumb enough to swallow the stupid excuses they throw out about changes. I could continue.

I quit in the middle of a match I could have won today because of the mind bending monotony.

The problem is I would love to keep playing but the devs are doing nothing about improving or expanding game play and only focusing on begging us players to spend more money. Some would say forcing us to spend, some would say they are just giving us more options to spend money.

Some would say it's a business, they are supposed to make a profit. To them I say I don't give a rats ****. To make money you have to offer a good product but this product hasn’t improved in months, maybe longer.

All of us here on the forums know it whether we want to admit it or not. This includes the devs.

I have no problem spending money on the game but I will do it on my terms when I want to. The moment I feel like I'm being forced to spend I'm done. In that case I'll go buy a game with a set price because it's honest and I don't mind that sort of "force" being used to convince me to spend. It's all about honesty and this game and its devs and its bankrollers have very little.

This was a good family game, at one point it was probably the best family mobile game I have ever played. Money and greed win again.

I have a question for the devs. A serious question, hopefully they can pull up their big boy and girl socks and give me a serious annswer.

Why should I keep playing and spending money on this product?

Sell me.

Comments

• I feel like I've read this same post every single day for who knows how long. We get it, some people are upset about the game and think D3 is greedy (they are running a business, right..?) and they are probably going to stop playing the game, blah blah blah.

My question for you is, what would YOU do in thier position to make the game and gameplay better? Seriously, what would you do to a match 3 puzzle game to change the gameplay and make it better?

The answer is that there really isn't much you can do to change the gameplay in a match 3 game. Yeah, I know this isn't your typical match 3 game. It's deeper than most puzzlers, but at it's core it's still a match 3 game with added features. Personally, I think the devs are between a rock and a hard place right now. On one hand, they have veteran gamers that have been playing for a long time and are used to how the game was when not as many people played and when things in the game were simpler... on the other hand they have a large/expanding player base that is only going to keep growing. It has to be hard trying to please everybody with every decision they make, while also still making sure they are making money. I'm not sure about you, but I really feel like this entire community is entirely too hard on the developers and everyone makes them out to be greedy pigs that don't care about the players at all. I absolutely feel that that isn't true, and that most of these complaints are petty and mostly pathetic whining.

/endrant
  • Jkells wrote:
    I feel like I've read this same post every single day for who knows how long. We get it, some people are upset about the game and think D3 is greedy (they are running a business, right..?) and they are probably going to stop playing the game, blah blah blah.

My question for you is, what would YOU do in thier position to make the game and gameplay better? Seriously, what would you do to a match 3 puzzle game to change the gameplay and make it better?

The answer is that there really isn't much you can do to change the gameplay in a match 3 game. Yeah, I know this isn't your typical match 3 game. It's deeper than most puzzlers, but at it's core it's still a match 3 game with added features. Personally, I think the devs are between a rock and a hard place right now. On one hand, they have veteran gamers that have been playing for a long time and are used to how the game was when not as many people played and when things in the game were simpler... on the other hand they have a large/expanding player base that is only going to keep growing. It has to be hard trying to please everybody with every decision they make, while also still making sure they are making money. I'm not sure about you, but I really feel like this entire community is entirely too hard on the developers and everyone makes them out to be greedy pigs that don't care about the players at all. I absolutely feel that that isn't true, and that most of these complaints are petty and mostly pathetic whining.

/endrant

I'm not a dev. Just a player looking for answers but we are both entitled to our rants.
  • The original puzzle quest is a good source for options.

1. Crafting challenges.
    2. Mini games to clear the board.
    3. More permanent Story elements (or event just restart them every couple of months)
    4. One off challenges with set chars for a small prize. Beat a battle with set level of opponents and heroes.
    5. Survival mode. No healing between matches. Same team, remembers health/lvl at the end of the battle.

There's so much they could do to add variety to this game. Some aren't even that complicated. Make them individual challenges for an ISO or small HP reward or boosts or whatever depending on the challenge.

There's so much they could, but instead they choose to stick with the same formula.
  • Jkells wrote:
    I feel like I've read this same post every single day for who knows how long. We get it, some people are upset about the game and think D3 is greedy (they are running a business, right..?) and they are probably going to stop playing the game, blah blah blah.

/endrant

If there is no way to improve the game how can any changes that involve more cash spent be justified. Profitability comes from good business models. This is more akin to a vagrant asking for my money.
  • If you don't like the game just quit already.
    You ask why should you spend more?
    I ask you why do you even spend on this game? You don't really need to spend on it.
    I am a relatively free to play player. I am only 139 days in and I have a 4 141 3*, I get top placement all the time.

I have never play an platform game where I can be this competitive without spending any money.

You are 207 days in and you are struggling without spending money, this could only mean you suck royally or you are playing it wrong.

Sure the dev are making a lot of mistake, but ranting about it is not going to make a difference, instead of ranting you could do what clintman is doing. Provide constructive ideas that might/or might not change the game. At least that will be more helpful.
  • Jkells wrote:

/endrant

1. More PvE content like what used to be called the "Prologue". Give people something to do other than the constant PvP and the ridiculous scaling PvE events.
    2. Stop tinykittying over the players with "improvements" that are really just ways to make money. Cover slot bundles? Well all those new characters you are getting you can't keep. Hope you don't like variety.
    3. Develop a system that doesn't involve playing at specific times because of resets/optimal rubberbanding. Right now there's two ways to play the game. Completely casually where you can play whenever you want, or extremely competitively, where PvP involves shield hopping and PvE involves playing at very specific times.
    4. Smarter decision making. Servers acting up? Let's not create an actual downtime period. So what if some people's shields run out while they can't log in but others can. So what if only a few people got their Daken cover rewards? Just run the tournament anyways!
    5. Instead of making a change to bracketing so that new players get less disheartened, just separate new players and veteran players. For new players who do not have many covers, lock them out of bigger events and just present them with occasional 1* tournaments. Between those and the Prologue, they'll have enough content. Once they get a few 2* covers, move them up to the next level.
    6. Separate the Season tournaments from the ones that are more likely to get people through the 2* to 3* transition.
  • Justdangit wrote:
    this could only mean you suck royally or you are playing it wrong.

I disagree. The game has turned into whoever has the most time to play wins or who has the most money wins. Skill (even at the meta level) has little to do with it now. Shield hopping is required to place top 25 in most PvP events now. Even if you play a lot you'll get slammed back down further than you climb because match making is setting you up with equal or more powerful teams.
  • Justdangit wrote:
    You are 207 days in and you are struggling without spending money, this could only mean you suck royally or you are playing it wrong.

Sure the dev are making a lot of mistake, but ranting about it is not going to make a difference, instead of ranting you could do what clintman is doing. Provide constructive ideas that might/or might not change the game. At least that will be more helpful.

As far as rants go his seemed very even tempered and well delivered and made me want to know the answer to his final request.

Constructive criticism is a noble thing indeed but accusing someone of sucking royally or playing the game wrong because they have complaints is exponentially less helpful than CoolB's post and the contrast you evoke by calling attention to Clintman's suggestion threads makes your addition to this topic pale even further by comparison.
  • Justdangit wrote:
    If you don't like the game just quit already.
    You ask why should you spend more?
    I ask you why do you even spend on this game? You don't really need to spend on it.
    I am a relatively free to play player. I am only 139 days in and I have a 4 141 3*, I get top placement all the time.

I have never play an platform game where I can be this competitive without spending any money.

Talk about ranting.....
  • HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    CoolB76 wrote:
    The problem is I would love to keep playing but the devs are doing nothing about improving or expanding game play and only focusing on begging us players to spend more money. Some would say forcing us to spend, some would say they are just giving us more options to spend money.

Some would say it's a business, they are supposed to make a profit. To them I say I don't give a rats ****. To make money you have to offer a good product but this product hasn’t improved in months, maybe longer.
    The product is still good for many people. That includes a lot of people who similarly dislike the recent changes. There've been a number of recent improvements (that, of course, could be further improved upon), as well: alliance system, in-game chat, increased Iso drop rate, fight-completion 1*-2* cover rewards.
    CoolB76 wrote:
    I have no problem spending money on the game but I will do it on my terms when I want to. The moment I feel like I'm being forced to spend I'm done. In that case I'll go buy a game with a set price because it's honest and I don't mind that sort of "force" being used to convince me to spend. It's all about honesty and this game and its devs and its bankrollers have very little.
    Assuming that you're already fielding a few fully-covered 3*s, in what way are you being forced to spend money?
    CoolB76 wrote:
    This was a good family game, at one point it was probably the best family mobile game I have ever played. Money and greed win again.
    From where I stand, it's still a pretty good game. Many of us dislike things like the Spidey nerf, longevity-based MMR bracketing, crazy scaling, etc., but most of us still play, and play fairly consistently, because the game is still good even with those changes.
    CoolB76 wrote:
    I have a question for the devs. A serious question, hopefully they can pull up their big boy and girl socks and give me a serious annswer.

Sell me.
    Yes, prefacing a question with pointed mockery always encourages thoughtful responses.
  • HailMary wrote:
    CoolB76 wrote:

The product is still good for many people. That includes a lot of people who similarly dislike the recent changes. There've been a number of recent improvements (that, of course, could be further improved upon), as well: alliance system, in-game chat, increased Iso drop rate, fight-completion 1*-2* cover rewards.
    CoolB76 wrote:
    Assuming that you're already fielding a few fully-covered 3*s, in what way are you being forced to spend money?
    CoolB76 wrote:
    From where I stand, it's still a pretty good game. Many of us dislike things like the Spidey nerf, longevity-based MMR bracketing, crazy scaling, etc., but most of us still play, and play fairly consistently, because the game is still good even with those changes.
    CoolB76 wrote:

Sell me.
    Yes, prefacing a question with pointed mockery always encourages thoughtful responses.

I guess there is no way of sugar coating that this complaint/rant/philosophical rant is about me and my experiences is there?

Well maybe there is icon_razz.gif
  • Apparently this was deemed feedback by a mod.
    Your topic has been moved
    Sent: Fri May 23, 2014 1:56 pm
    To: CoolB76

Hi,

A topic called Short term gain, long term failure which has been started by you, has been moved to Forum Rules and Site Announcements by a moderator or administrator.

Reason for moving your topic: The "sell me" approach doesn't save this from being anything other than a feedback thread. Moving to the feedback forum

Click on the following link to go to your topic:
    Short term gain, long term failureIf my post is in this trendy green color, I am being a mod. Otherwise, I'm just a random guy voicing an opinion.

__Underscore__ Alliance

Where do you get off not allowing me to be a consumer? This is not an approach!!! This is how the world works. I watch commercials all day long but asking the devs to sell me (basically a commercial) is some tricky "approach"?

I'm sorry riggy, this isn't a shot at you personally but from a board mod position you just took any possible basic human rights I had and **** on them.
  • I love the negative reputation I'm getting for basically calling out this forum for whinning too much, even though it's completely true.

I will admit that I may have been a bit too harsh with some of the things I said, but I stand by most of it. I can, however, accept that there might be things that can be added to the game to enhance the experience, but the fact that those things aren't in the game (yet) doesn't make me dislike the game or think the developers are horrible. Everyone needs to remember that MPQ is still in it's infancy stage of development/progression when it comes to a (semi)massive-multiplayer game. Who is to say that the developers aren't working on some great things to improve and add variety to the game? And before anyone says that they should announce what they are working on, need to realize that game developers are constantly working on new ideas for games and a whole **** load of those ideas never make it to the game. I'd rather have the developers not announce changes until they know for sure they are going to implemented, rather than have them announce every idea that may or may not get into the game.

Basically, people need to lay off and realize that this game is a F2P game, a very accessible F2P game at that, that many people can progress in and play without ever having to spend a dime. furthermore, people need to realize that this game has plenty of time to grow and improve, with or without them playing.
  • HailMary
    CoolB76 wrote:
    I guess there is no way of sugar coating that this complaint/rant/philosophical rant is about me and my experiences is there?

It'd be more (or at all) helpful if you'd specify exactly what your complaints are on a fundamental, game-breaking, player-hating level, instead of vaguely insinuating that devs are "forcing you to spend money" or "the game hasn't improved in months." Lack of communication is really the only one I see resembling an objective complaint. Everything else is quite subjective.

Also, why not let a rant simply be a rant? Pretending that you're actually posing "a serious question for the devs" is rather silly.
    CoolB76 wrote:
    ...you just took any possible basic human rights I had...
    Yeah, I'm sure the mods will take it under advisement that the MPQ forums have become your own personal Darfur.
  • HailMary wrote:
    CoolB76 wrote:

It'd be more (or at all) helpful if you'd specify exactly what your complaints are on a fundamental, game-breaking, player-hating level, instead of vaguely insinuating that devs are "forcing you to spend money" or "the game hasn't improved in months." Lack of communication is really the only one I see resembling an objective complaint. Everything else is quite subjective.

Also, why not let a rant simply be a rant? Pretending that you're actually posing "a serious question for the devs" is rather silly.
    CoolB76 wrote:
    Yeah, I'm sure the mods will take it under advisement that the MPQ forums have become your own personal Darfur.

here you go. Hope this helps.

Today I'll be on day 207 and I hate to say it but I don't know if I'll make it to day 210, even with that daredevil reward

I'm tired of feeling like the devs are herding me. I'm tired of the inequality of the game (steam/mobile). I'm tired of the lack of consistency. I'm tired of the lack of communication. I'm tired of the nerfs. I'm tired of devs thinking us players are dumb enough to swallow the stupid excuses they throw out about changes. I could continue.

I quit in the middle of a match I could have won today because of the mind bending monotony.

All of us here on the forums know it whether we want to admit it or not. This includes the devs.

Sell me.
  • CoolB76 wrote:
    Apparently this was deemed feedback by a mod.
    Your topic has been moved
    Sent: Fri May 23, 2014 1:56 pm
    To: CoolB76

Hi,

A topic called Short term gain, long term failure which has been started by you, has been moved to Forum Rules and Site Announcements by a moderator or administrator.

Reason for moving your topic: The "sell me" approach doesn't save this from being anything other than a feedback thread. Moving to the feedback forum

Click on the following link to go to your topic:
    Short term gain, long term failureIf my post is in this trendy green color, I am being a mod. Otherwise, I'm just a random guy voicing an opinion.

__Underscore__ Alliance

Where do you get off not allowing me to be a consumer? This is not an approach!!! This is how the world works. I watch commercials all day long but asking the devs to sell me (basically a commercial) is some tricky "approach"?

I'm sorry riggy, this isn't a shot at you personally but from a board mod position you just took any possible basic human rights I had and tinykitty on them.

I believe Riggy is trying to help. While I agree with your original post, most of it does appear to be feedback and it would likely get more visibility from the dev's here in the feedback forum.
  • HailMary wrote:
    CoolB76 wrote:

CoolB76 wrote:

Way to use something tragic to support your sarcastic comment. Real mature.

I simply said from a board mod position he took a basic human right from me and you compare that to Darfur. You must not understand what those people went through in your attempt to sound smart and worldly.
  • I took the "approach" comment as a snide remark and it probably was based on my bad past history here. Never-the-less I over reacted and apologize to Riggy.
  • HailMary
    CoolB76 wrote:
    Way to use something tragic to support your sarcastic comment. Real mature.

I simply said from a board mod position he took a basic human right from me and you compare that to Darfur. You must not understand what those people went through in your attempt to sound smart and worldly.
    Right, because forum board mods are in any sort of position to do anything remotely like "[taking] any possible basic human rights [you] had." There are situations where actual basic human rights are actually being denied.

I'm not the one who casually cheapened them.