Stories from Quarantine

Mburn7Mburn7 Posts: 3,309 Chairperson of the Boards
If there is one thing bringing people around the world closer is the fact that we are all trying to stay as far apart from each other as possible.  As a result, a lot of people are bored out of their minds sitting at home, and doing some funky things to pass the time.

So, anyone have any fun stories from their self-isolation?  Nominally they should be MTGPQ related, but I'll accept anything.

Lets make this a community hangout place at a time where most hangout places are out of order, shall we?

Comments

  • Firstofhisname419Firstofhisname419 Posts: 66 Match Maker
    Recently left NH to move to FL. This past week I had several online board game sessions, and a Netflix Party night, with my old game group. We're planning a Karaoke night via Zoom on Friday.
  • bken1234bken1234 GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 2,831 Chairperson of the Boards
    Recently left NH to move to FL. This past week I had several online board game sessions, and a Netflix Party night, with my old game group. We're planning a Karaoke night via Zoom on Friday.
    Welcome to FL (from a fellow New England transplant in St Pete). 

    We are voluntarily quarantining, despite there being no orders down here — because science. It’s been ok so far, my 15 year old has T1D and was already in online school. His karate dojo quickly transitioned to online classes and so he’s getting those 3x a week and it’s actually pretty cool. 

    It’s going to be a longer haul for us than most people because he’s high risk, and he’s a great kid and ready to stick it out, so we are just gearing up and making the best of it... I’m quite grateful looking forward for our many shelves of books and closet full of board games... being a bit nerdy seems pretty cool right now. 
  • Mburn7Mburn7 Posts: 3,309 Chairperson of the Boards
    Recently left NH to move to FL. This past week I had several online board game sessions, and a Netflix Party night, with my old game group. We're planning a Karaoke night via Zoom on Friday.

    My friends are also trying to figure out online game sessions, although we haven't quite gotten anything going yet (somehow people are still busy despite being in their apartments all day?).

    Nice job figuring it out!
  • FindingHeart8FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,648 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited 25 March 2020, 04:22
    Under Executive Order lockdown in Michigan.  Going to hopefully write and get another fantasy book published while I'm locked in. :)

    Also my cats hate me for being home and interrupting their normal 15 hour sleep schedule :D
  • Julie71Julie71 Posts: 244 Tile Toppler
    I kinda wish I had one.  But since my job is classified essential. Its normal business for me.  
  • bken1234bken1234 GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 2,831 Chairperson of the Boards
    Julie71 said:
    I kinda wish I had one.  But since my job is classified essential. Its normal business for me.  
    Be safe, Julie ❤️
  • NarcoticsagentNarcoticsagent Posts: 176 Tile Toppler
    My essential job is making dishwashers cuz you know American Democracy would collapse without convenience appliances. 
  • Oktagon_SupportOktagon_Support ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 1,106 Chairperson of the Boards
    Also my cats hate me for being home and interrupting their normal 15 hour sleep schedule :D
    While dogs are super happy with their families at home, cats are hating it....same here  :D
  • bken1234bken1234 GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 2,831 Chairperson of the Boards
    My essential job is making dishwashers cuz you know American Democracy would collapse without convenience appliances. 
    My teenagers wash dishes to earn game time and my dishwasher servers as our dish drain. Thank you for making such a sturdy one! 
  • Firstofhisname419Firstofhisname419 Posts: 66 Match Maker
    Mburn7 said:
    Recently left NH to move to FL. This past week I had several online board game sessions, and a Netflix Party night, with my old game group. We're planning a Karaoke night via Zoom on Friday.

    My friends are also trying to figure out online game sessions, although we haven't quite gotten anything going yet (somehow people are still busy despite being in their apartments all day?).

    Nice job figuring it out!
    I've been setting up private events through Facebook. It's done pretty well to get people organized at X time, and let you know how many to expect.
  • FindingHeart8FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,648 Chairperson of the Boards
    Also my cats hate me for being home and interrupting their normal 15 hour sleep schedule :D
    While dogs are super happy with their families at home, cats are hating it....same here  :D
    How many cats do you have?

    Both my 2 cats are talkers.  I don't speak feline, but their meows are starting to sound more and more like "Go awaaaay!"

    :D
  • NyarlathotepNyarlathotep Posts: 71 Match Maker
    bken1234 said:
    Julie71 said:
    I kinda wish I had one.  But since my job is classified essential. Its normal business for me.  
    Be safe, Julie ❤️
    If this covid 19 situation has caused anything for me, it's even more time spent at work. xD

    But I dont mind it, as i am happy that i am still allowed to travel around (alone, of cause! ) and also am supposed to go to work, which is something special now. 😃
    Stay save everyone! 

  • jtwoodjtwood Posts: 733 Critical Contributor
    edited 31 March 2020, 13:21
    Here's how my life has been since this all started:
    I've been WFH for over 10 years, my wife is a self-employed newborn photographer with a studio in our house, and my kids started a 50/50 home school program this year (they were in actual classes 2 days per week and home schooled 2 days per week). Because we were already using our home as the main base of operations for 75% of our life, the transition to 100% home life was pretty easy for my household.
    The biggest adjustment I'm making is on the grocery shopping side. We had long since adopted curbside pickup as our preferred method for getting groceries (when you have a very young child that will misbehave in a store, scheduling a pickup is a lifesaver). Now, that system is overrun, and we can't get groceries reliably - or quickly - through pickup. But my wife also doesn't want me stepping foot in a grocery store. So she and I have played this little game where I complain incessantly for her to let me go to the store, and she insists on trying to find other ways to get groceries; all while our stores deplete. Also, I haven't hoarded toilet paper. We are sort of starting to run low. I guess we will see how this plays out.
    In the meantime, we have been working on finding ways to keep busy. We started work on replacing all of our front landscaping. We ordered well more than a dozen plants from various online businesses that delivered the products (it's super funny to see a tree come in the mail :smiley: ). We are about halfway done with that and should have it wrapped up in 1-2 weeks. Then... I don't know. I normally spend a lot of free time either at the gym or playing tennis. The gym closed right away, and public tennis courts are slowly closing themselves down. I had originally hoped to spend a lot of time just hitting tennis during all of this. It's gonna suck if that's taken away from me.
    For my kids, very early on, we decided to in-house trips to the playground. We ordered a giant swing set and a jungle gym. My smallish backyard went from cozy and relaxing to public park in a week. The kids are happy, though, and it's nice to be able to send them out there for a bit each day. We are organizing online gaming time for my oldest son with his school friends, and my daughter is enamored with just getting to have video chats with her friends. My little dude's preschool has likewise organized class video chats so the kids in the class can actually have class. It's a hoot: They sing songs, listen to story time, and get to talk. It is no small feat of mankind that they manage to successfully keep about a dozen 3 and 4-year olds reasonably quiet on a video conference.
    So that's my life in self-imposed exile (which has been a little over 2 weeks now).
  • bken1234bken1234 GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 2,831 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don’t really watch tv, but I watched The Tiger King. 

    In 2 days...

    ...justifying it as local interest since I live in the Tampabay area. 🙄
  • Mburn7Mburn7 Posts: 3,309 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited 31 March 2020, 21:43
    bken1234 said:
    I don’t really watch tv, but I watched The Tiger King. 

    In 2 days...

    ...justifying it as local interest since I live in the Tampabay area. 🙄

    I have heard so many people talking about that.  Never heard of it until the other day.
    Is it any good?  Or just some big joke that I'm the only one not in on?
  • bken1234bken1234 GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 2,831 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mburn7 said:
    bken1234 said:
    I don’t really watch tv, but I watched The Tiger King. 

    In 2 days...

    ...justifying it as local interest since I live in the Tampabay area. 🙄

    I have heard so many people talking about that.  Never heard of it until the other day.
    Is it any good?  Or just some big joke that I'm the only one not in on?
    It’s entertaining and good background for MtGPQ. I don’t regret it like I do Altered Carbon.

    I would definitely prioritize The Boys (Amazon) first and The Witcher second. (Though both require full attention and took me awhile to get through since I generally don’t binge shows.)
  • Mburn7Mburn7 Posts: 3,309 Chairperson of the Boards
    bken1234 said:
    Mburn7 said:
    bken1234 said:
    I don’t really watch tv, but I watched The Tiger King. 

    In 2 days...

    ...justifying it as local interest since I live in the Tampabay area. 🙄

    I have heard so many people talking about that.  Never heard of it until the other day.
    Is it any good?  Or just some big joke that I'm the only one not in on?
    It’s entertaining and good background for MtGPQ. I don’t regret it like I do Altered Carbon.

    I would definitely prioritize The Boys (Amazon) first and The Witcher second. (Though both require full attention and took me awhile to get through since I generally don’t binge shows.)
    I absolutely loved the Witcher, can't wait for season 2.
    Sadly I only have Netflix, and nothing else to do, so I guess I'll see what all the memes are about  :D

  • FindingHeart8FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,648 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mburn7 said:
    bken1234 said:
    Mburn7 said:
    bken1234 said:
    I don’t really watch tv, but I watched The Tiger King. 

    In 2 days...

    ...justifying it as local interest since I live in the Tampabay area. 🙄

    I have heard so many people talking about that.  Never heard of it until the other day.
    Is it any good?  Or just some big joke that I'm the only one not in on?
    It’s entertaining and good background for MtGPQ. I don’t regret it like I do Altered Carbon.

    I would definitely prioritize The Boys (Amazon) first and The Witcher second. (Though both require full attention and took me awhile to get through since I generally don’t binge shows.)
    I absolutely loved the Witcher, can't wait for season 2.
    Sadly I only have Netflix, and nothing else to do, so I guess I'll see what all the memes are about  :D


    I can recommend a ton of good stuff to watch on Netflix, if you're interested.  Keep you occupied through most of the isolation :)
  • bken1234bken1234 GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 2,831 Chairperson of the Boards
    I just finished Unorthodox on Netflix. It was short, but fantastic. 
Sign In or Register to comment.