Many Gambit's

MissoesRicRose
MissoesRicRose Posts: 258 Mover and Shaker
The game is now full of "Gambits" as they put a character just to fill the powers of others with absurd levels of energy. Full appeal. Game continues to decline toal. Increasingly causing players to lose interest.

Example: In the 'The Meeting' tournament, opponents were: Kingpin; Hood and Don.
Don ("Gambit") only serves to constantly fill the powers of other opponents. Absurd imbalance in the game. This only favors players with much more time in the game.

There is no motivation to play in cl9. The chances of getting a 5 * character are very low. The game seems to want to increasingly force players to buy its resources.

I don't know how the majority feels about it. But, for sure for me and many other players that I know is bringing more and more lack of motivation to continue playing.

How to beat opponents like: Kingpin; Hood and Don or Hawk 5; JJ and Worth
Without having a 5 * powered-up character?

Comments

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    first - i acknowledge you feel frustrated by the game choices.

second - it sounds like you are playing above your "correct" SCL banding for comfortable play. This is of course your choice to make, but know that somewhere in the stack is an SCL that will provide you the level of difficulty appropriate to your roster if you want to play there. whether or not the rewards feel "worth it" is also your choice to decide.

third - the way you punch up in this game is stunlocks and board control. characters that let you clear out specific sections of the board, swap tiles where you want them, or remove specials or create critical setups are generally the way to do it. Following that, characters who can stun along with batteries to keep them stunning is the other tool to have in your toolbox. 4* Gamora with Sandman and Vulture (or IM40) is a first class stunlock team, since they do it on several colors and don't require you to eat damage to maintain it the way a Bishop/WCap team would. 
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,716 Chairperson of the Boards
    It sounds like you're referencing the green node (we seem to call it the Challenge Node on the forums -- name was made before they made the node green).  Do what I do, if you'd like...

I play on SCL 10, as well.  So this is doable... but it takes a while, depending on the team you're against.

I have a MUCH underleveled 5* Hawkeye.  He sits at 3/2/2.  only THREE in that coveted purple power.  The one that actually makes him worth using with Hammercap.

Hammercap and 4* Gamora are both champed.

I also put the Wong support on Hawkeye.  When he matches a blue (and he will, thanks to Hammercap), you have an extra chance of making more blue.

I put the Milano on Gamora.  Chance of making extra strikes on purples when she fires a power.  Her stun only costs 6 blue.  It'll happen often.

And I put Sharon Carter on Hammer.  Extra Blue/Red AP (and yellow, but we dont care about that) when his CDs expire.

Run those 3 together.  Try to match tiles that DON'T put Hammer in front... you want him to jump in front, because he takes less damage when he does that.  But it'll still be enough to trigger his passive, he'll throw out countdowns.  If you're lucky, he'll get hit by a cascade of 2 match 3s.  I say this because 8 CDs will set you up with Blue AP for nice long while through this match.

From this point, you're just mainly stunning anyone that'll cause you harm.  Fire off Hawkeyes Red arrows, so that more CDs can expire eventually, giving you more blue, letting you stun for longer.

You're targetting BLACK ap though... and maybe purple, just to clear them out.  You are aiming to trigger Gamora's insta-kill.  You're stunning the enemy team to keep the board still while you manage making every purple yours (or matched away).  Black AP is your friend.  For the record, I don't fire her black power off until I know there's only 6 or less empty purple tiles out on the board.  I dont' wanna waste the black AP if it's not gonna give me the chance at a instakill.

Finally, when you have them all, just very cautiously match a single match 3 near the top, that won't cascade.  With enough luck, no extra purple will fall down.  And the dude in front will get slaughtered by Gamora.

Rinse and repeat for the others.  It'll be easier because there's less people to stun now.

YES THIS IS HARD.  No I'm not arguing with you.

I'm just trying to give you my default strategy that doesn't have a champed 5*.  This is my "well, nothing else I have is gonna work" team.

Sure, I have 9 champed 5*s now.  But they don't work like this team.  Not one bit.

I hope this helps you.  I hope you have the champed Hammercap and Gamora to get it done.  

Or maybe there's another team you can use more effectively.  I know a lot of people bank on Coulson instead of Hammercap.  I just don't have a champed Hawkeye to tank for me like others, so Hammer is my tank and AP generator simultaneously.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    My Hawkeye is 2/5/3, and that team is still very reliable for me. I like Coulson/G4mora because i'm not generating much blue from HE's purple, and that extra little CD from someone else firing a power really helps. I usually bring +2 blue team up and occasionally +2 to all in with me so G4mora can start earlier than normal (hopefully). Usually how this plays out is I get a blue match, fire off Hawkeye's blue to get that stun arrow out + one of Coulson's Cds, then chase team up to shorten the countdowns.  If I've brought in +4, i'll just fire G4mora's stun first. This will trigger both HE and Coulson to generate AP for you, and you should be off to the races from there. I usually target tile movers or someone who is extra dangerous first for the 3 turn stun. The goal is to always have a stun ready to go, so you'll alternate chasing blue or red with chasing team ups, because you can get Coulson to shorten the timers for you.
  • Friarbundy
    Friarbundy Posts: 118 Tile Toppler
    Since I champed my Kitty, SCL 9 was simply ho hum as I Gritty'd my way through the map with few real challenges.  SCL 10 has brought those challenges back and I am grateful.  Now I feel like I'm trying to beat the game again as opposed to checking boxes off a list.