Clever Supports/Character combos

Glockoma
Glockoma Posts: 555 Critical Contributor
Since the introduction of clearance level 10, I have found myself leaning on supports more often than before. This has led me to ponder about which supports work for which characters in unique and rewarding ways.

So I am reaching out to the community for all of us to get a feel from your own experience and/or theories on which supports mesh the best for each character.

At your leisure, please post your thoughts on must-play support/character combinations.

I will start: My personal favorite

Level 4 Chimichanga / Phoenix

At 34% and 38% to add 2 ap each of red and purple, respectively, Phoenix becomes a cascading powerhouse. In her last PVE buff, I was finding near limitless ability to fires multiple purples, many red flames, and also carrying a 42% chance to fortify buffed up strikes. Very, very fun and possibly the best support for her.

Comments

• Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    helix72 said:
    Not sure how clever this is since it only works on Captain America, but credit to @PiMacleod for this one: I've got a 4* Sharon Carter on HammerCap. Everytime one of his CDs expires, 58.57% chance to gain 2 Blue, Yellow, or Red AP. That's in addition to the increased Red, Blue, and Crit damage, which only comes into play if I'm not pairing him with 5* Hawkeye (who is also generating AP for every CD that goes off). I do not have a single champed 5* and my 5* Hawkeye is only at 2/2/2 and I'm still clearing the challenge node in SCL 10 PvE...

When I read that I thought “that’s amazing” rushed to my roster, Sharon was already on my HammerCap :).... old age, I swear. Never get old people. 
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,157 Chairperson of the Boards
    helix72 said:
    Not sure how clever this is since it only works on Captain America, but credit to @PiMacleod for this one: I've got a 4* Sharon Carter on HammerCap. Everytime one of his CDs expires, 58.57% chance to gain 2 Blue, Yellow, or Red AP. That's in addition to the increased Red, Blue, and Crit damage, which only comes into play if I'm not pairing him with 5* Hawkeye (who is also generating AP for every CD that goes off). I do not have a single champed 5* and my 5* Hawkeye is only at 2/2/2 and I'm still clearing the challenge node in SCL 10 PvE...
    4-star Sharon Carter also really helps Nightcrawler go BAMFinite.  Every time you match a purple, there's a chance you get more purple.

• Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    helix72 said:

I’m pretty sure I was the first to mention that one way back in Worthy’s release thread lol. 

I’ve mentioned this before but I put my Chimi on Hawkeye since I run CoulHawk/Gamora for the winfinite stun train on CL10 challenge nodes. 

Also took Milano off Grocket and put it on Gamora for that team since spamming her powers gives a 50% chance of placing a strike on purple to trigger deadliest woman. 

Quantum Realm at any level is great on Xavier for extra purple AP. 

• itsuka7
    itsuka7 Posts: 109 Tile Toppler
    I am very happy with combining G4mora with a 3* Royal Talon Fighter. As I mostly use her in combination with Grockernaut, the extra strike tile chance rank 1 power is great to add strike tiles in a longer battle. Even better is the Rank 3 power chance for team damage, nicely boosted by R4G strike tikes whenever I fire her cheap stun.
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    Kitty with element guns.

Stronger yellow matches.

Chance of creating an attack tile when kitty fires a power.

Chance to fortify specials when kitty makes matches.

And that's only with a level 3 element gun.
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Sorry @Daredevil217 if you were first, the other thread was the first one I read. I also run my 4* Kimoyo Beads on 5* Hawkeye, which gives extra Blue damage plus 33.98% chance to gain 2 extra Blue on every Blue match.

As for Gamora, unfortunately my Milano support is only the 1* version so it's pretty useless for me in that combo. If Chewie's available (it's usually locked on Juggy or Kitty) he's my best option, as making specials increases the chances of having no empty purple to trigger Deadliest Woman. Otherwise I leave her unsupported.

Speaking of which, my go-to combo now for Grittynaut against tile movers:

3* Lockheed lvl 150 on Kitty: 
    4* Chewie lvl 200 on Juggy
    3* Chimichanga lvl 150 on Grocket

Since we're trying to trigger Juggy's Collateral and keep him tanking thanks to the damage reduction of Unstoppable, we want him making the most matches. Chewie has a 46.37% chance of making a 369 Attack tile with each of his matches. That's a lot of Attack tiles to keep the Kitty engine going and triple dip on damage (once from the match, once from Juggy's Collateral power, and once from the Attack tiles after the match). Since I almost never fire Juggy's blue, the other perk is useless.

Kitty then gets Lockheed. Since Juggy's an X-Man, it increases the number of specials at battle start by 2 by immediately pushing out 2 strength 185 Protect tiles. Against tile-movers, having the damage reduction is incredibly helpful as you can't guarantee Juggy will make every match and the AI match damage is insane. As a bonus, Lockheed also gives a chance to fortify specials every turn.

Grocket then just gets a support to fortify specials and the most effective one he can wear is my Chimichanga, 34.74% chance to fortify every turn.
  • Tarelgeth
    Tarelgeth Posts: 67 Match Maker
    Destroyer Gun on Carnage. Either version.

It's both effective for the match power, useful for the fortifying specials, and terrifying to imagine Carnage with the Destroyer Cannon.
  • DirionScrab
    DirionScrab Posts: 8 Just Dropped In
    My Favorite is my 4* Vibranium Ore

35% +1 AP on strongest match
    9% damage reduction
    +709 Damage on Powers which I have previously used on Dr Strange boosting Flames and Bands damage  unfortunately this doesn't seem to work on Juggs Collateral but does work on Chavezs  Multiverse and fear Me not Passives
    Match 4 generates Protect (actually this can be bad if facing gritty, but otherwise harmless)
  • BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 1,232 Chairperson of the Boards
    3* Talon fighter on 5 star DD for a chance at the begging of the turn to create a strike tile in addition to the ones he gets at under half health. 3* Vintage Shield on BRB incresed health, decreased damage, and a 50%chance to create a shield every time he fires a power and I usually use BRB with Gladiathor with a korg support for a 100% chance to create a shield every time thor fires a power
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2020
    There are other supports than royal talon fighter?!  huh, who knew?

/sarcasm

I use pizza dog on Thor just to give him a bit of healing without threatening his half-health status. 

Other than the supremely awesome royal talon fighter, and the *this should have been a regular part of their kit* unique abilities from late gen supports, the best pve powers are probably "% chance to start with ap" supports that can really speed up matches.  match strength is also occasionally helpful when you want to make sure the right people are tanking.

After that, I am not sure which i value most between special tile hijinks (fortification, boosting, spawning etc), ap shenanigans (gain more on match, etc), and the direct effect powers (more damage given, less damage taken, etc).  I really like this the idea of this thread and am hoping for some good suggestions.

• Glockoma
    Vhailorx said:
    There are other supports than royal talon fighter?!  huh, who knew?

/sarcasm

I use pizza dog on Thor just to give him a bit of healing without threatening his half-health status. 

Other than the supremely awesome royal talon fighter, and the *this should have been a regular part of their kit* unique abilities from late gen supports, the best pve powers are probably "% chance to start with ap" supports that can really speed up matches.  match strength is also occasionally helpful when you want to make sure the right people are tanking.

After that, I am not sure which i value most between special tile hijinks (fortification, boosting, spawning etc), ap shenanigans (gain more on match, etc), and the direct effect powers (more damage given, less damage taken, etc).  I really like this the idea of this thread and am hoping for some good suggestions.

I concur. I want this thread to continue as a “latest fun combo”. The fact that some of these supports actually contribute to speedier progression through tougher PVE events makes this communication invaluable to others as well as to the devs, (for implementation/reinstatement). 

Although I can see a case for AP generation at the beginning of the match as paramount to other perks, I personally lean towards consistent damage/fireworks throughout the entirety of the match. 

My personal perk focus:

critical tile multiplier increases [kimoyo beads, Sharon Carter, Lucky the Pizza Dog (personal all star support here), Arc Reactor, Web Shooters, Stepford Cuckoos, Gems]

AP generation upon matching [Many supports]

Match Damage reduction [Victorius, Quantum Realm (5* Prof X goldmine), Vintage Shield, Spider Sense, Web Shooters, Kra-van, Sanctum, Vibranium Ore]

Extra healing [Victorious, Carol’s Comm, Hulkling, Lucky, Wasp Gaunts, Yaro Root]

Niche characteristics [ 4-match and 5-match mechanisms, team damage upon X (works SO well with high strikes tiles or Okoye’s boosted damage), etc.]

Please add more ideas as they come to you and experiment away!
  • krakenoon
    krakenoon Posts: 355 Mover and Shaker
    I find Vibranium ore on BRB to be very nice. Especially when I can pair him with someone to make those match 4s & up easier.
  • Glockoma
    5* Carnage:

Chewie or Pocket Radio make superb supporters.

A fully cover Chewie is a solid all-around support, but with Carnage, you are taking advantage of his extra match making bequeathing an extra attack tile. Also upon friendly power fire, you can remove and enemy special tile. Out of the 3 perks, the first two at a high enough level can help drive his innate features a little further, but the last perk of stunning a rando is always welcome. 

A fully covered Pocket radio thrusts all 3 of Carnage’s match damage to over 1000 (roughly). Nuff said. 
  • Glockoma
    Beta Ray:

Carol’s Communicator. 

I had no idea how powerful this would be for BRB. I only have a 4*, (tops out at level 200), that sets out 2 strong protects of current strength 379 33% of the time at the beginning of the battle and has a 31% chance to true heal him for 1400 on special tile match. 

Needless to say, I love pairing him with 5* Carnage who is rocking a level 3 Chewie. I come out of battles with more health than I started. Simply harmonious.
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,221 Chairperson of the Boards

Tinkerer on Prowler, with Carnage as his teammate. I've been using 5* Carnage, but 4* probably works just as well. Throw in Okoye, Medusa, or Mr. F and you have a party...