the leveling curve

Vhailorx
Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
This was a hot topic when Boss Rush happened, but I don't think I have seen it as its own topic on the boards in a while.

Power strength, health, and match damage do not scale linearly!

For 5*s:

255 --> 450 = ~4x increase (about half of which comes after level 400).

From 450 --> 650 = ~4.72x increase. 

(And health, match damage, and power damage all increase by the same factor).

Has anyone done the math for the lower tiers? Or goons?

Comments

• CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx said:

Has anyone done the math for the lower tiers? Or goons?
    Yes iirc, but then he deleted all of his posts 😢
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    One of the things I've seen consistently is that the (linear) level boost that characters get always roughly doubles everything. From looking at some stats at various times, it seems to be somewhere in the vicinity of doubling with every 80-100 levels or so, which points toward an at least approximately exponential increase.
  • AXP_isme
    AXP_isme Posts: 809 Critical Contributor
    edited March 2020
    There was a forumite called Aesthetocyst iirc who had some really good analysis on match damage and levels. Their general conclusion, and one that I am now in a position to better understand, is that Ultron sentries are far and away the most awful goons. Their match damage scales to really horrible levels where characters match and power damage never move off a largely linear curve. 

Yep, @a@aesthetocyst is right. Let’s see if this call out has a Lazarus-style effect. 

I’m not sure why it comes up with the first ‘@a’ perhaps that means that the profile is no longer active. 
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    AXP_isme said:
    Yep, @a@aesthetocyst is right. Let’s see if this call out has a Lazarus-style effect. 
    Given that he scrubbed the forum of all of his posts, I'd be surprised if it does.... 
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,729 Chairperson of the Boards
    CT1888 said:
    AXP_isme said:
    Given that he scrubbed the forum of all of his posts, I'd be surprised if it does.... 
    I kind of doubt he scrubbed his posts, there were a decent amount and that seem like a lot of work.

I believe he still plays casually, sometimes pops into Discord.

However, the forum update which happened a couple years or so ago was after some of these posts you are thinking of.  The update basically meant that old posts with graphs and things didn't carry over (couldn't display) and I think those disappeared from the forum, maybe the mods did it.  Or maybe he just did it for those posts since they were broken anyway.
  • MadScientist
    MadScientist Posts: 317 Mover and Shaker
    I can add just a small (but hopefully interesting) data point. I have started to collect some data on the challenge nodes and it looks like all one-, two-, three-, and four-star characters have a match damage of 1452/1288/1127/183/169/155 (colors) 729 (team-up) at level 650. Five-star match damage is in the range 2632/2340/2047/332/306/281 (Green Goblin) to 3905/3471/3037/493/455/417 (Beta Ray Bill).
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    AXP_isme said:
    There was a forumite called Aesthetocyst iirc who had some really good analysis on match damage and levels. Their general conclusion, and one that I am now in a position to better understand, is that Ultron sentries are far and away the most awful goons. Their match damage scales to really horrible levels where characters match and power damage never move off a largely linear curve. 

I’m not sure why it comes up with the first ‘@a’ perhaps that means that the profile is no longer active. 
    Yes, I remember aesth,

But as I recall, the goon analysis ~ around boss rush.  But I thought that goon match damage had been normalized since then (in large part because those Ultron sentries were so deadly when over-leveled).
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,092 Chairperson of the Boards
    bluewolf said:
    CT1888 said:
    AXP_isme said:
    I kind of doubt he scrubbed his posts, there were a decent amount and that seem like a lot of work.

I believe he still plays casually, sometimes pops into Discord.

However, the forum update which happened a couple years or so ago was after some of these posts you are thinking of.  The update basically meant that old posts with graphs and things didn't carry over (couldn't display) and I think those disappeared from the forum, maybe the mods did it.  Or maybe he just did it for those posts since they were broken anyway.
    He objected to the data collection requirements that the GDPR brought in last year that affected being a member here. I think he did actually delete his posts rather than just get excluded from the forum because of non compliance. That obviously applies to the newer forum rather than older.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,729 Chairperson of the Boards
    Wait, what?  Now I’m worried what D3 knows about me. 

Someone else went to those websites. Really. 
  • AXP_isme
    AXP_isme Posts: 809 Critical Contributor
    bluewolf said:
    Wait, what?  Now I’m worried what D3 knows about me. 

Someone else went to those websites. Really. 
    While they may know a lot given their record on communication you don’t need to worry about it going any further. 

Yeah, I said it. The communication is awful. 
  • robertbah
    robertbah Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    I don't care about the formula for the lower levels. The formula for 450+ is simple. It's exponential in almost all stats. So, it's linear after you take the logarithm transform.