How are people at shield rank 115-119 feeling (after SCL10 introduced)

Hilk
Hilk Posts: 131 Tile Toppler
I’ve seen a lot of discussion on how people are liking / hating  SCL10.

What I was wondering is, how are people just before those levels feeling?  

Did it work to move up most of the “whales”.... Do they like it that people have moved up and they have more room?   

Are they looking forward to 120 when they could move upon dreading it?

Comments

• wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don’t I don’t know how positively it is effecting them.  I will be interested in hearing the responses to see if more lower level players are getting more or less rewards .  I know I have personally dropped down to lower level CL in PVE just to take a break from CL10.  

I am also going to take a guess and say CL10 has brought lower level players better rewards in PVP in CL7.  In PVP it seemed every one went 10 and now there is a big mix between CL8-10 for higher level players
  • itsuka7
    itsuka7 Posts: 109 Tile Toppler
    I really hoped scl10 would see the end of seeing champed 5* players playing for ranking rewards in scl7 (which I find a dubious practice as a 4* player, as it means the 4* players that that scl is meant for never have a chance of taking top rewards), but sadly it was not to be, those 5* players are firmly entrenched. So, ranking rewards at scl7 have not improved for the 4* crowd.

What I did notice however is that some other players, not playing for ranking, have moved up, because the 1st flip at scl7 now takes hours longer than it used to. So there is an effect in progression play. I suspect they like the 5* shards in scl8 progression better.
  • AXP_isme
    AXP_isme Posts: 809 Critical Contributor
    CL10 takes forever to play. Having tried it a few times now I can see the value in dropping down a tier or two if you’re not that bothered about the rewards. I don’t mind about placement so I play a few matches here and there throughout the day. I couldn’t, in good conscience, put aside the time to do clears at sub opening and the grind at closing. That would be 2.5-3 hours a day blocked out for me. 

Having said that, CL7 is a long way to drop just for a QOL clear speed uptick. I can’t see the difference between CL7 and CL8 being that big so maybe it’s as much about metaphorical seal-clubbing as it is about the time investment. 
  • wymtime
    itsuka7 said:
    I really hoped scl10 would see the end of seeing champed 5* players playing for ranking rewards in scl7 (which I find a dubious practice as a 4* player, as it means the 4* players that that scl is meant for never have a chance of taking top rewards), but sadly it was not to be, those 5* players are firmly entrenched. So, ranking rewards at scl7 have not improved for the 4* crowd.

What I did notice however is that some other players, not playing for ranking, have moved up, because the 1st flip at scl7 now takes hours longer than it used to. So there is an effect in progression play. I suspect they like the 5* shards in scl8 progression better.
    I do understand you point of view.  I will also express this as a 5* player who plays CL10 in PVE.  Mental fatigue is now real and a possible issue with CL10.  Going through 5,6, -10 health packs on a node can be extremely frustrating especially when you are try to place decently well.  I have dropped down to CL8 3 times since CL10 came out.  It was not because I could not compete in CL9 or 10 it was due to the mental fatigue the game had on me.

for PVP players would choose lower levels to achieve higher placement because the rewards for placement were much better than just getting progression.  Top 5 top 10 in CL 7  was much better than top 50 in CL9 and progression was about the same.  With CL10 more players are playing up in CL10, but I have seen more players also spread out realizing they can again get better placement and overall rewards by placing well in CL8 compared to everyone clogging up in CL10.  If they want more players playing at their highest CL they really need to increase the progression rewards dramatically for higher CL with CP and 4* covers
  • itsuka7
    I understand the fatigue argument, and dropping down occasionally. For me, scl8 is that difficult grind that I can only occasionally manage. When I was starting out, I hung out in scl4 a little longer maybe than my roster warranted. So while they get in my way, I understand it if people drop down now and then. Everyone has their reasons, I get that.

What I find regrettable are the 5* players that I see taking spot 1 and 2 every single pve I have played in  over a year. Those players cannot claim scl9 or scl10 fatigue, because they have never even tried to play it. I know this because several of my alliance members play the same scl7 slice, and we joke about it in chat. If they had been missing, it would have been big news :). But even in the last month these players were still taking all the pve top 2 or 3 spots in my slice, every single pve. So they cannot have tried scl10, they were in scl7 all the time,  that’s why I call it entrenched. If they’d do it only 50% of the time, I would be more understanding.
  • Rhipf
    Rhipf Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    itsuka7 said:

The biggest problem here is that there is no correlation between Shield Rank and roster level. You could theoretically have a Shield Rank (SR) under 100 and have a roster with champed 5*s (you would just need to spend enough cash). As a corollary, you could have a SR of 200 and not have a single 5* in your roster (highly unlikely but possible). SR is more an indicator that you have played the game for a period of time than it is that you have a high level roster.
  • wymtime
    itsuka7 said:
    I understand the fatigue argument, and dropping down occasionally. For me, scl8 is that difficult grind that I can only occasionally manage. When I was starting out, I hung out in scl4 a little longer maybe than my roster warranted. So while they get in my way, I understand it if people drop down now and then. Everyone has their reasons, I get that.

What I find regrettable are the 5* players that I see taking spot 1 and 2 every single pve I have played in  over a year. Those players cannot claim scl9 or scl10 fatigue, because they have never even tried to play it. I know this because several of my alliance members play the same scl7 slice, and we joke about it in chat. If they had been missing, it would have been big news :). But even in the last month these players were still taking all the pve top 2 or 3 spots in my slice, every single pve. So they cannot have tried scl10, they were in scl7 all the time,  that’s why I call it entrenched. If they’d do it only 50% of the time, I would be more understanding.
    I understand your point with people with big rosters only playing lower CL.  When I dropped down I saw the same person win the event every time I played.  The reason they stuck out to me is they were the only person to clear their opening nodes faster than me.

i guess my question would be why do these types of players stay at lower CL?  I think it is WIIFM( what’s in it for me).  They play the lower CL because they can and they win. So for them they get more LT more 4* and progress faster while playing less.  

This is why many players including myself have said they should put more rewards in progression instead of placement.  If just by playing at a higher CL you would get rewarded better than being number one in a lower CL players would be more encouraged to play up.  As it is now placing 1st is better than placing top 20-50?in higher CL.

this is also why when I need a break I drop down to 8 instead of 9.  I can get top 10 easy playing the whole event, but not putting in mental effort and I get more rewards than being top 20-50 in CL9 
  • itsuka7
    I agree that progression rewards of a higher lvl should be better than ranking rewards at the lower lvl. And as scl7 has no 5* shards, not even in first place rewards, I expected these players to move to scl8. With their roster and skill it would only take a few minutes more perhaps, and get better rewards, and they would probably still easily make t10 there.

And I also agree that scl9 progression awards do not look enticing enough. Progression 5* shards are the same amount for 8 and 9. Weird.